This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EDDIE M0NS00N View Post
    Well after having a 27 Lg lcd & most recently a 32 Sony edge lit led i have to say that i've been very disappointed with their pic quality & lag, so have had a look at a few low end Plasma's in my local currys. watching them side by side with an led they had running the same time it was so obvious that the plasma which was only 720p urinated on the led in terms of picture quality & movement. So are 720 plasma's really that good compared to a 1080 led/lcd?
    Resolution aint everything. I had a pHD8 and i ran my ps3 through its vga port using a hdfury@1080p/24.

The picture was amazing, given the age of the panel, and the fact the res was only 1024x768.

Comment

Sony has some brilliant processing on their top end sets, 923 and 853 both have their Clear+ setting.

However, this is only good for video, not for games as it adds so much lag.

The motion in the HX923 I think beats any plasma out there, for me it is the blotches all over the screen that let it down, an non uniform screen is just not tolerable, as it can be seen all the time.
      Also the black levels, while excellent, just don't seem right, they have a sort of black hole effect, like you should be seeing stuff and it is missing.

Agree on the above as well, resolution means sweet F A imho.
      If all things are equal then a higher res is always preferred, but it comes right down the bottom of the list for 'what makes a good picture?'.

Comment

What i really wanted was something that offered the same high quality picture & response as a crt, but the lcd's & led's that i have seen have been nowhere near. The only set that has a similar picture clarity & as vivid a colour has been the lower end plasma's i've seen. This is why i'm thinking that plasma is the way forward for me

Comment

If you think lower end plasma are good then you should see the high end shizznit. Dunno about this gen but certainly those of about 3-4 years ago were brilliant.

Comment

What i really wanted was something that offered the same high quality picture & response as a crt, but the lcd's & led's that i have seen have been nowhere near. The only set that has a similar picture clarity & as vivid a colour has been the lower end plasma's i've seen. This is why i'm thinking that plasma is the way forward for me

Don't get me wrong, a basic plasma is still better than the best LCD/LED, I was just commenting in the motion of modern hi end LCDs, they are improved 100x. But still lacking in every other area imho.

Comment

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
              Don't get me wrong, a basic plasma is still better than the best LCD/LED, I was just commenting in the motion of modern hi end LCDs, they are improved 100x. But still lacking in every other area imho.
              Its cool buddy didnt think u were jibeing me or nowt .

So I'm in 2 minds on either getting a HD Ready 42 inch Panasonic Viera TX-P42X50B for ?300 or go for the Full HD 50 inch LG 50PA650T for ?500.

I've heard that the Panasonic Plasmas outdo every other make of Plasma out there, but what do you guys think would be best - a 42 incher HD Ready by the best in the business or pay the extra 200 notes for a 50 inch Full HD LG? I mean, what are LG Plasma's like?

Comment

Its cool buddy didnt think u were jibeing me or nowt .

So I'm in 2 minds on either getting a HD Ready 42 inch Panasonic Viera TX-P42X50B for ?300 or go for the Full HD 50 inch LG 50PA650T for ?500.

I've heard that the Panasonic Plasmas outdo every other make of Plasma out there, but what do you guys think would be best - a 42 incher HD Ready by the best in the business or pay the extra 200 notes for a 50 inch Full HD LG? I mean, what are LG Plasma's like?
                Value wise the best deal by far is the TX-P50ST50. I paid ?1060 for mine, but i imagine it can be had for around the ?900 mark now if you shop around.

Seriously worth saving the extra as even the 42" is like ?840 on amazon(edit: around ?750 online)

Cant comment on LG, though i know they dont have as good a rep as panasonic and samsung.

Its something that you will be watching every day for a long time so worth saving a bit surely?
                Last edited by PaTaito; 11-12-2012, 16:25.

Comment

I really can't afford spending a grand on a telly as i'm only working part time at the mo. The most i've spent in the past was about 400 on my sony crt about 12 yrs ago

Comment

Stay away from LG plasmas. Samsung is great though.

Comment

Rather than buying a current low end plasma, I would suggest looking for a second hand mid-ranger.

Look for models like the Panasonic TX-P42S30 / 50S30, TX-P42G30 or 50G30, or Samsung PS51D550.

Comment

Try and find a Pioneer.....

508XD, 5080XD, 5090 etc.

All superb.

I had a VT30 and hated it, loved it at first, but some serious issues with it as it got to 1000 hours and beyond.

Comment

My Samsung plasma suddenly started exhibiting some screen tear. At first I thought it was just the source (PS3 playing PS1 games), but it even occurs in the UI of the receiver. Have tried changing input on the screen, activating 1:1 pixel mapping, but it still occurs again every few minutes. Anybody got some tips as to what I can do to make it stop?

It's a PS63C7000 btw.

Comment

You're not by any chance sending it 50hz input, are you?

Comment

It's 50hz yes. Any way to change the refresh rate manually?

Comment

This is just a general question about PAL CRTs; no particular model I'm referring to. Also it's just for curiosity's sake more than anything else.

Do PAL CRTs upscale 480i resolution? I recently had it suggested to me that PAL CRT sets upscale 480i to 576i just to fill the screen which makes a 480i picture on a PAL TV softer (and therefore a little worse) than the same image in 480i on an NTSC CRT screen, on which it would be left intact.

Comment

Working...
                                X