This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
    Many NEC PDPs did as well, and the early Pioneers converted everything to 72hz.
    How were they accomplishing that? If it was just by repeating frames that's less of a problem, but these Samsungs were actually doing motion vector compensated processing (will all the artefacts you could hope for).

Matt: can't help you there, but the PAL, SECAM NTSC etc LEDs not lighting up will be because those are composite formats. I'd imagine none will light up if you input RGB.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
      How were they accomplishing that?
      Ummm, not very well is the answer!!

I spoke with Pioneer when i had my 505XDE, as I just couldn't get on with the judder, and they told me that everything was shown at 72hz.
      Now, if we had loads of 24p material back then I would have understood....sort of. However, it just made no sense and there was no way round it, so it lasted a fortnight and then went.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt~ View Post
        Great post gizze, very clear and helpful

I have a Sony PVM-1442QM, and the picture flickers horizontally from left to right if it's given a 60Hz signal. I've confirmed it's not just the one particular Japanese console it's unhappy with, as when I switch a pal game like psyvariar or r-type final to 60Hz mode the flickering begins also. I've tried adjusting the V-hold knob on the back and this doesn't solve the problem. The consoles are plugged in to a Holdan HSR-1000 SCART router, and then into the RGB and sync BNC thingies on the monitor (see below)

It's supposed to be cool with NTSC - it has PAL, SECAM, NTSC and NTSC 4.43 on the front panel next to little blobs (see below) that look like they should light up accordingly, although mine never do.

Does anyone know how I might solve this problem, if possible?

Help would be much appreciated!
        I've just had a eureka moment and finally solved this. I had the SCART router sat on top of the monitor as it's flat and the most convenient place for it. The AC in the internal power supply of the router was causing interference. Moved a small bedside table under the desk, put the router and Playstation on there instead - problem solved, lovely picture! My electrical and electronic engineering module has taught me something useful after all, haha

Comment

Lyris,

Great GT60 review. Really looking forward to seeing what the Samsung 8500 can do against the Panny's. Also how much better can the Z be?

My Brother is caught between a GT50 @ ?749 or GT60 @ ?1100. He has quite a bright room though, his TV will face windows down the other end of the 15ft living room and it will be sat backed up against another set of windows.

Comment

Thanks! That's not a small price difference, but the GT60 is well worth the extra. As you can probably tell I was more than a little bit happy with how my feedback was acted on this year.

He could get the GT50 and use the THX Cinema mode which is acceptably bright.

Although to be honest, if it's a really bright room facing windows, maybe he shouldn't be getting a plasma at all. Does he have one already?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
              Thanks! That's not a small price difference, but the GT60 is well worth the extra. As you can probably tell I was more than a little bit happy with how my feedback was acted on this year.

He could get the GT50 and use the THX Cinema mode which is acceptably bright.

Although to be honest, if it's a really bright room facing windows, maybe he shouldn't be getting a plasma at all. Does he have one already?
              No he doesn't. But he really wants the image quality, contrast ratio, response time and natural image Plasma gives. Plus he is restricted to 42" and around ?1000. Its a tough one!

Comment

If he's really into image quality, treating the room (dealing with the light somehow either by repositioning things or even just blinds) isn't a bad idea anyway.

Comment

Random question.

I've had a Sony 37ex723 for a few months now and recently fancied playing some Dreamcast games on it.

I use VGA to hook up the console to the TV and all is good. Unfortunately I get no audio despite plugging in the 3.5 phono jack from the VGA box to the phono in socket under the VGA port on the TV.

Can anybody suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Comment

You might need to assign the audio input to playback with the VGA / PC IN in a menu somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      Random question.

I've had a Sony 37ex723 for a few months now and recently fancied playing some Dreamcast games on it.

I use VGA to hook up the console to the TV and all is good. Unfortunately I get no audio despite plugging in the 3.5 phono jack from the VGA box to the phono in socket under the VGA port on the TV.

Can anybody suggest what I might be doing wrong?
                      PC in (D-Sub) + Audio in (Stereo Mini) 1 (Rear)

Sounds like it is a 3.5mm jack input. Is that what you are using?

Comment

No more Panasonic plasmas apparently ZT60 will be their last flagship. Have to say I'm quite sad but not surprised, the amount of joe bloggs I've spoken to over the last 5 years who think Screen Burn and Image Retention are still serious issues with the tech proves to me that all the false info put out there from the pro LCD camp worked marvellously.

Comment

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
                          PC in (D-Sub) + Audio in (Stereo Mini) 1 (Rear)

Sounds like it is a 3.5mm jack input. Is that what you are using?
                          Yeah, that's it. I've checked settings too but can't find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                            No more Panasonic plasmas apparently ZT60 will be their last flagship. Have to say I'm quite sad but not surprised, the amount of joe bloggs I've spoken to over the last 5 years who think Screen Burn and Image Retention are still serious issues with the tech proves to me that all the false info put out there from the pro LCD camp worked marvellously.
                            Pressure on companies to reduce the power consumption of their devices, especially from the EU, was always likely to hasten the demise of plasma based screens. LCD screens are everywhere these days so the costs of manufacturing them must be a fair chunk lower than plasma panels. Profits are thin enough in th TV market as it is.

Comment

I cant be the only one who's noticed people upgrade their LCDs/plasmas more often then CRTs though? Used to be you bought a CRT and that was going to be yours for 10 yrs.

Comment

Shame to see Panasonic wrapping up plasmas, I just bought one of theirs recently and it's superb. I hope by the time I come to buy another TV OLED will have become widely available.

Comment

Working...
                                X