Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update. Phoned RS to buy the TV and BR player only to be told the tv is out of stock at present. Noooooooo!

Advisor said RS has a shipment of 100 units arriving at end of month, and as Panasonic are discontinuing the model, once it’s gone, it’s gone. Apparently 20 odd are reserved so far, so I said I’d phone back tomorrow to place order (I was trying to home school and realised the time wasn’t appropriate).

@teddymeow - Thanks for the zoom recommendation, duly bookmarked. Interestingly enough, the BR I’m buying from RS is £10 more from them, but comes with 5 4k films. Pity none are what I want in my collection, but more importantly, for £15 extra I get 6 years cover, refundable if not used, from RS.

@wakka - Once I get myself sorted, I’lll look at lining your pocket!

Comment

Personally, if you are planning on watching movies and netflix and whatnot, then a set with Dolby Vision is going to be worthwhile, especially in the budget tier, which is where it really comes into it's own.

The Panasonic GX800 has really good format support , as well as a mode that will be super beneficial for 4K HDR discs on these sets which are a long way from being "HDR)

Last edited by EvilBoris; 19-05-2020, 15:27.

Comment

That's annoying, but the end of the month isn't too long to wait at least. Not surprised they're running out of units now, the new 2020 generation of Panasonics is nearly here. That's why it's the perfect time to buy - I always get my TVs just before they are discontinued in favour of the latest ones for that year, the savings are significant

If you haven't already, ask RS what their best price is on your package - I got £90 off just for asking. I was buying speaker wire as well though which is a higher margin item I think, so it prob came out of that at least partly. Worth a go though.
        Last edited by wakka; 19-05-2020, 15:33.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
          @Super Grover There are lots of places doing 2 for £20 and 2 for £30 on 4K UHD discs at the moment.

Zoom.co.uk are good for £9.99 weekend deals.

HMV regularly have discounts (got Ghost in the SHell for £9.99 and Detective Pikachu for £13.99 as well as the OG Hellboy & A Simple Favour (which looks incredible) for £20 the pair.

Ebay too is great. Lots of bulk stock knocking about. Both Jurassic World films for £7ish from one seller.
          Actually just had an Email from HMV about a 2 for £20 4K offer that might help you spend some more money [MENTION=7193]Super Grover[/MENTION]

Neil

Comment

My Panasonic has awful lag over hdmi arc. Not sure if that’s a Panasonic thing or just my tv. Just a warning. My LG has no such issues fwiw

Comment

That’s unfortunate Brad what model do you have?

EDIT: Just a thought @Super Grover - but if I was you I would get the DP-UB450 rather than the UB150. It supports Dolby Vision which is definitely worth having for discs which support it.

It's £165 here:

Buy Panasonic DP-UB450EBK 4K Blu-ray Player from Zavvi, the home of pop culture. Take advantage of great prices on Blu-ray, 4K, merchandise, games, clothing and more!

Use code ACFREE for free delivery (I don't get a referral kickback off this one, just trying to be helpful ).

If you'd really rather purchase from Richer Sounds though, get them to price match this over the phone. They will do this up to a week after you've already bought something from them.
              Last edited by wakka; 19-05-2020, 18:47.

Comment

And now [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] throws a spanner in the works with a new recommendation, lol.

I guess I’ll research it tomorrow then! I took a cursory glance at it, and saw the award winning Sony UBP X700 which costs slightly less (before price match) https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home...y-ubpx700.html

My budget is going to explode, lol!

Comment

Hehe, sorry, I’ll shut up now

I’d deffo get the Panasonic UB450 over the Sony X700 though. The Panasonic has HDR10+, which the X700 doesn’t, plus the Sony’s Dolby Vision function is kinda funky.

And that’s the last I’ll have to say, promise!

Comment

Latest update: Panasonic UB450 purchased!

Phoned RS, spoke to the advisor about the Zavvi offer (cheers [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION]), and after he checked it, matched their price then beat it by £10! So that came to £154.99, and I also purchased the refundable £15 6 year warranty. The only thing I overlooked was purchasing a decent HDMI cable, so I went for the Audioquest Pearl 1m.

The tv is due in in stock a week today, and the guy took my number to call me when they arrive. I’m now twiddling my thumbs waiting for a phone call, lol.

Comment

Nice one [MENTION=7193]Super Grover[/MENTION]

Comment

Off the back of my recommendation for Zoom: my 4K copy of 1917 arrived today (was released Monday, they posted last Thursday).

It arrived in what I can only describe as a sandwich bag! Cardboard sleeve crushed to hell in all corners and dented on the front.

Hmm...

Comment

Off the back of my recommendation for Zoom: my 4K copy of 1917 arrived today (was released Monday, they posted last Thursday).

It arrived in what I can only describe as a sandwich bag! Cardboard sleeve crushed to hell in all corners and dented on the front.

Hmm...
                          Thats ****e I've had a few 4k blurays off them and always fine. Probably jinxed myself now for the arrival of Jaws 4k from them

Comment

Hmm...
                            I only ever used them once & that was for my Turtles: Out of the Shadows Steelbook.
                            Keep looking but never buy anything from them

All this talk of 4K made me think about what I have actually got on 4K disc & I didn't think I had much but turns out I have a little collection -

Still not really that worried in getting 4K over a standard Blu-Ray if I'm honest

Neil

Comment

Had an email today as I thought I had pre ordered Jaws off Zoom but it was from Amazon. Their shipment has been delayed due to Covid 19.
                              The state of the world today and the loss of life its understandable.
                              Did have my screen replaced on my LG B7V due to a massive green blob central of the screen. Lucky I had a 6 year warranty with Richer Sounds.
                              LG repaired the screen but seemed to have turned down the Oled lighting. Nowhere near as bright as it could go to not that I’d run the tv on that setting.
                              Was impressed by Disney+ app and the 4K streaming. The original Toy Story looked impressive
                              Last edited by BIG EDD; 23-05-2020, 03:14.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                                Personally, if you are planning on watching movies and netflix and whatnot, then a set with Dolby Vision is going to be worthwhile, especially in the budget tier, which is where it really comes into it's own.

The Panasonic GX800 has really good format support , as well as a mode that will be super beneficial for 4K HDR discs on these sets which are a long way from being "HDR)

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...ze_breaks=1365
                                Wait I think my worlds have just collided, I was watching Vincent Teoh's HDTV Test youtube videos again recently and he mentioned you! It took me a while to realise where I had heard that username before!

EDIT: crikey I see you also do content for the channel too! Super odd as I used that site years ago to buy my current TV stalwart!
                                Last edited by Briareos; 30-05-2020, 17:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X