X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    @fuse.

The Sony ZF9 soundbar is bloody awesome. 3.1 Dolby Atmos and you can get wireless rear speakers to make it 5.1.
    It's on the list for consideration! As is that Harmon Kardon / Samsung job that [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] mentioned. I'm giving strong consideration to a Sonos Beam too, which is a fair bit cheaper but also aimed more at music rather than cinema, which is more what it'll be used for. The suggestions are all definitely welcome though!

Comment

Keep us updated on your AV plans @fuse

Comment

Got a quote I was fairly happy with to install a new screen, ceiling mount the projector, and hide all the wiring for that and the existing surround kit. We talked a bit about adding a couple of height channels, and given two ceiling speakers weren't any additional in the quote, so I decided to get some simple (fairly inexpensive) speakers after all. Got those, the projector, mount, and screen ordered today. Need to wait for these to come, pay/book the fitter, and then to see what happens!

I'm... going to need something for 4K content too

Comment

Nice! Sounds like it’s going to be a serious setup. Have a look at the Panasonic UB820 for UHD Blus. It has an optimiser feature which forces a limitation on how many nits HDR output maximises at, which I’ve read is especially useful for projectors as they tend to max out at 400 - 500 nits.

On the gaming side - PS5 beckons!

Comment

[MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION]

Just looking at getting this machine but don't know if it's diminishing returns when I only have a 55" LG OLED (C8) and play my discs on PS5. What do you reckon?

Comment

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
              @wakka

Just looking at getting this machine but don't know if it's diminishing returns when I only have a 55" LG OLED (C8) and play my discs on PS5. What do you reckon?
              I have a 55" OLED too, a Panasonic GZ950, and do benefit from the HDR optimiser feature

To be honest I haven't actually tried any DVDs/Blus/UHDs in my PS5, as I always play them in the 820. So I don't know what the performance is like. And my opinion will be just that - mine, and this kind of stuff is really subjective.

The main advantages of the 820 over the PS5 are probably as follows:

- The HDR optimiser. This allows you to manually limit the light output, reducing blown-out highlights in films mastered to a very high nit count (a lot of Sony discs are mastered up to 5000+ nits, and your TV probably supports ~700).

- Dolby Vision support. This means you'll be able to get a better HDR implementation on discs that support it.

- (Probably) better upscaling for DVDs and Blu-rays. Haven't tested this, though. Just my expectation (I got my 820 a while before my PS5).

- Quieter. The PS5 is pretty quiet but there's still a hum. YMMV how much you care about this.

- Separate HDMI audio output. This is handy if you want to pass audio separately to your amp and then video for a second HDMI cable to your TV. You might not need it though.

I guess my question would be, are you satisfied with the disc playback the PS5 gives? Is it lacking anything? Is it killing you that you don't have Dolby Vision support, or are you disappointed by the DVD playback? Is the PS5 shoving notifications onscreen in the middle of a movie and bugging the hell out of you?

If so, the 820 would be my first port of call. But if you're broadly satisfied, the differences are probably not going to be THAT huge.

Comment

Thank you for pulling out the main advantages. I think it has swayed me to stay with the PS5, its hard to make comparisons as I can only compare streaming DV content through Netflix and Disney with physical media through the PS5 not in DV. When I watched the streamed content I don't think wow, that blows away the PS5 performance.
                I only have sound going through an ATMOS sound bar and have maxed out HDMI connections to the tv so if I can avoid another device that sounds like the right choice. Sorry only saw how relevant this thread was after I posted the other one.

Comment

Ah, only just seen your other thread. Yeah, if you're considering it purely for DV, not sure it's worth the outlay to be honest. It is a really nice player though, I do love having mine having depended on consoles for discs for years.

Comment

I'm sure some folks are watching developments around this much closer, but as a basic piece this got my attention this morning. I guess the lack of CES and the like has juggled the usual schedule for things, though...

For the very first time games, not movies, are driving the TV agenda. The result is the biggest shake-up in screen technology for years

Comment

Considering that article opens with undeserved gushing praise for MiniLED and still thinks burn in is an issue for OLEDs it’s not exactly authoritative.

Comment

Yeah, not an amazing article, but I agree with the central idea that gaming features are driving the agenda in TVs this year.

Interesting news regarding the upcoming OLED sets - sounds like LG have finally created their own set similar to Panasonic's 2000 line, with special cooling to allow higher nits ('OLED Evo'). And meanwhile Panasonic have finally introduced proper HDMI 2.1 compatibility.

In terms of MiniLED, I think it will be a decent enhancement to FALD, but it's not going to trouble OLED. We will need to wait for MicroLED for that. That's where things will get interesting - at the moment everything is very much a refinement of what came before. It's a great time to buy a TV if you're in need of an upgrade though. If you must have LCD, MiniLED should be great. And if you're going OLED, that technology is now extremely mature.

Comment

It’s a shame MicroLED still seems so far away. Samsung has been promising it for a few years now but it’s still only for impractical, expensive and large screens.
                          MiniLED would be a worthwhile upgrade for people if it wasn’t almost as expensive as an OLED set. There’s very little difference in price with a 55” LG 4K MiniLED TV and a 55” B series OLED from the 2021 range.

Comment

Yeah, I think MiniLED has its place though. If you really want those massive nit counts for 'light cannon' style HDR and/or you use your TV very often in a very brightly lit room, it could be a good choice.

And as much as image retention has been greatly reduced on OLEDs, it is still a thing. If you have a TV running all day in the background with a big static overlay like Sky Sports News, I know I'd be more comfortable with MiniLED.

All that said - I would choose OLED over it every time personally!

For MicroLED, I agree it's a shame it still seems a ways away. It reminds me of OLED, it felt like we were waiting for that to become widely available forever. Each year at CES we'd see more 'concept' sets, and be told that they 'couldn't get the yields' yet, and it would be on its way next year.

Eventually we did get it though, and now you can get sets for as little as a grand so I'm sure MicroLED will be here soon enough. It's definitely the next step, I think OLED is getting to the point of being maxed out now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
                              Thank you for pulling out the main advantages. I think it has swayed me to stay with the PS5, its hard to make comparisons as I can only compare streaming DV content through Netflix and Disney with physical media through the PS5 not in DV. When I watched the streamed content I don't think wow, that blows away the PS5 performance.
                              I only have sound going through an ATMOS sound bar and have maxed out HDMI connections to the tv so if I can avoid another device that sounds like the right choice. Sorry only saw how relevant this thread was after I posted the other one.
                              I thought I'd give an update on this because I couldn't stay away. I picked up a UB820 and I'm loving 4k discs once again. I've got about 40 but was starting to feel they weren't the investment because I struggled to see the advantage over Disney + DV and Netflix 4k. To my eyes the dedicated player is a MASSIVE improvement over the PS5 and Xbox One X as players.
                              It does wonders for Blu-rays too and well worth the investment to me.
                              The fact that there is no consensus on this issue seems weird to me having seen the improvement but I get that it is all subjective.
                              Thought this might help someone on the fence like I was.

Comment

I have a Sony UBP-800 (the first one without Dolby Vision) and it's bloody awesome for UHD and HD discs. Head and shoulders above streaming services.

Trouble is that UHD discs are bloody expensive so given the choice between the best quality or convenience and a happy wallet I go with the latter.

It begs the question "why buy the disc spinner in the first place?" though.

Comment

Working...
                                X