This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone? Hello? Bueller?

Screen burn getting worse. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
      Anyone? Hello? Bueller?

Screen burn getting worse. Any suggestions gratefully received.

I did a load of telly research recently and I also boiled it down to Samsung, Panasonic and LG.

Restrictions:
      40" (the space it can fit into between the window and chimney)
      Central Pedestal (need to swivel the telly, depending on who's watching)

Panasonic TX-40FS500B 40"
      Samsung 40" MU6400
      LG something or other.

I think I liked the Samsung the most.

I tell you what, though, I'm seriously thinking of getting it from Richer Sounds.
      1. It's nice to still have bricks and mortar stores still in existence.
      2. Their owner is an absolute dude. Check this out!

Comment

I've recently had a new panel fitted to my TV which was purchased from Richer Sounds. It kind of felt like they were trying to fob me off at first when I reported the issue but once the tech came to look at it a replacement was ordered and installed quickly. They didn't even have to take the TV off site to do the work. And somehow I ended up with a 3d capable panel despite other peeps saying they were no longer available. Overall I'm quite impressed with the service.

Comment

I would look at the Philips 7300 series or the Samsung NU7400, anything cheaper is either using an IPS panel (crap blacks) or poor processing.

Mate just bought the 55" SAMUSNG for £519 from Richer Sounds, have to say, even as an OLED and Sony owner at 3x the price the Samsung is a very nice.

I had one before, but swapped for the Sony XF9005 as I am a very fussy bugger and used to Pioneer Kuros and OLEDs, but the Samsung is great.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            https://www.theguardian.com/business...-julian-richer
            Absolutely agree with this.

He is a proper gent. He turned up at my house a few years back when I was having some issues at work, spent an hour with me going through it all over coffee, listened and then sorted it. Not many bosses would do that.

Comment

Thanks for your input folks. Much appreciated. Will have a proper look at your suggestions over the weekend.

Comment

Want a 55/60” set. £600ish tops really. Must be available at richer sounds. Suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  Want a 55/60” set. £600ish tops really. Must be available at richer sounds. Suggestions?
                  Not a great deal to say at that Price point, but either the Samsung RU7100 or the Sony XF700 would be the 2 I would investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I did a load of telly research recently and I also boiled it down to Samsung, Panasonic and LG.

Restrictions:
                    40" (the space it can fit into between the window and chimney)
                    Central Pedestal (need to swivel the telly, depending on who's watching)

Panasonic TX-40FS500B 40"
                    Samsung 40" MU6400
                    LG something or other.

I think I liked the Samsung the most.

I tell you what, though, I'm seriously thinking of getting it from Richer Sounds.
                    1. It's nice to still have bricks and mortar stores still in existence.
                    https://www.theguardian.com/business...-julian-richer
                    It sounds like you had the same Alcove problem I had.
                    What I ended up doing was mounting it onto the wall at the back on a cantilever arm

The TV is actually floating above the unit and can be tilted and rotated, it has also created a nice big space for storage (which I can access my rotating the TV 90degrees)

This solved the size restriction when I wanted a larger panel, both for viewing comfort and because the displays tend to become fairly low spec now below 49inch.

*excuse the photo, I was in the middle of building those floating shelves before we decorated the room.

Comment

That's exactly the issue we have.

Ours is a bit of a bigger alcove and I like your resolution, but I don't think that'd work for us.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                        Not a great deal to say at that Price point, but either the Samsung RU7100 or the Sony XF700 would be the 2 I would investigate.
                        Cheers. Planning a bigger better home cinema kind of experience in an end of garden office, hence not wanting to spend much on this one. The kids broke the 10 year old 46” Samsung that I’d have happily stuck with in fact. Sods!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          Cheers. Planning a bigger better home cinema kind of experience in an end of garden office, hence not wanting to spend much on this one. The kids broke the 10 year old 46” Samsung that I’d have happily stuck with in fact. Sods!
                          Both of those would be a big step up then

Comment

I’m getting rid of the telly as soon as possible and replacing it with a Xiaomi 4K laser projector jobbie https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xiaomi-Mj...UAAOSwQIZc9Rkb

I currently have a 55” LG 4K TV, but I just find televisions quite ugly. When they’re off it’s like the Monolith from 2001 sat in your lounge... with all the seating arranged around it ready for worship. I like having a big screen to watch films on, which is where these Ultra Short Throw laser projectors come in. A small unassuming box that can just sit on the table and still give a 80 - 100” screen is awesome. I was waiting for the LG one, but apparently it’s going to be twice the price of the Xiaomi.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                              I’m getting rid of the telly as soon as possible and replacing it with a Xiaomi 4K laser projector jobbie https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xiaomi-Mj...UAAOSwQIZc9Rkb

I currently have a 55” LG 4K TV, but I just find televisions quite ugly. When they’re off it’s like the Monolith from 2001 sat in your lounge... with all the seating arranged around it ready for worship. I like having a big screen to watch films on, which is where these Ultra Short Throw laser projectors come in. A small unassuming box that can just sit on the table and still give a 80 - 100” screen is awesome. I was waiting for the LG one, but apparently it’s going to be twice the price of the Xiaomi.
                              I'm really interested in going this way too, but concerned about normal TV viewing in daylight. The UST specific screens you can get are supposed to be great with ambient light, but they're not cheap as they add another £1000 on to the cost.
                              Last edited by Jamie; 25-06-2019, 20:43.

Comment

I have to say, I have been very impressed with the Samsung displays when off.

I hate the way a TV takes over the room, especially when off.

Choosing a light grid, what is behind it or artwork etc. It works really well...

Comment

Working...
                                X