This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    Nothing over 1k. Though would all depend on PS5 gen playing 4k at decent frame rates to be honest, if not i wont bother as my Sony 1080p has good colour depth & decent refresh rate.

Trying to get an idea of what models are good for gaming.
    well if your max budget is £1000, then you are in the range of getting something upper mid range.
    What size are you looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
      Panasonic do good work. One of the players in my home setup is a Panasonic 820 and that works very nicely, and it's in the sweet spot between expensive high-end player and cheap rattly thing. And unlike Sony players it automatically goes into Dolby Vision mode if, and only if, you're playing one of those discs (Sony make you manually switch it on and off for the best results).
      Thanks Lyris. It's one I've been looking at and considering. Not quite sure if it's worth the extra funds over the UB450 but maybe I need to check it out in person.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
        well if your max budget is £1000, then you are in the range of getting something upper mid range.
        What size are you looking at?
        55inch really, anything bigger will look too big in the living room.

Comment

LG B9s were going for £1099 on Black Friday. If you have a look around in Jan you might be able to get them for the same. That's a really terrific 55" inch TV. A mate of mine picked one up. It's the cheapest I've ever seen a new generation OLED.
          [MENTION=2561]fishbowlhead[/MENTION]

Comment

Cheers Waka, whats the refresh like on it? nice and smooth for gaming?

Comment

Cheers Waka, whats the refresh like on it? nice and smooth for gaming?
              The b9 is what I was going to suggest

It's the best TV you can buy for gaming right now apart from it's slightly more expensive brothers the C9 and e9

13ms input latency
              HDMI 2.1 support , which will future proof it for some of the cool new console features such as freesync/VRR and the ability to display upto 4k 120hz.

And of course, it will have a very pleasent image that will blow anything of a similar price out of the water.

Comment

Nice one cheers guys, ill stick that on the list for next year.

Case closed.

Comment

Nice one cheers guys, ill stick that on the list for next year.

Case closed.
                  Just keep an eye on it, as said £around 1100 is the lowest they will likely drop to, or just keep a couple of extra hundred aside and grab one of the better models.

Comment

It will all hinge on the next gen consoles to be honest.

if 4k @ 60fps then new tv.
                    If still 1080p @ 60fps then no new tv needed.

Basically. Next gen really needs to be a step above at 4k for me to upgrade.

Comment

It will all hinge on the next gen consoles to be honest.

if 4k @ 60fps then new tv.
                      If still 1080p @ 60fps then no new tv needed.

Basically. Next gen really needs to be a step above at 4k for me to upgrade.
                      The new ones are going to be upto 4k and upto 120hz
                      Xbox is already 4K and 60hz for a bunch of 1st party games

The rumor is there is cheaper Xbox for 1080p only, but freeysnc will still be beneficial.

plus HDR is already a thing and you haven't got a TV that can display that, there are already advantages you can make uswe of right now.

Comment

Yes but i also still have half a house to decorate and re-plaster and would have an extremely unhappy misses if i took advantage of that lovely HDR right this second .

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          Thanks Lyris. It's one I've been looking at and considering. Not quite sure if it's worth the extra funds over the UB450 but maybe I need to check it out in person.
                          I'm not sure either - my brother back in Glasgow has the UB450. I've not done any in-depth look at it, but it's definitely cheaper in feel than the higher-up models. It's based off of a more generic chip (probably Mediatek) whereas the UB820 has Panasonic's own. The performance seems fine, though. I imagine the higher-up models will do a better job with upscaling DVD if you care about that. But again, I didn't do a ton of tests or anything.

I'd go for the 820 if you can - even if it's just for the nicer remote and feel.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                            The new ones are going to be upto 4k and upto 120hz
                            Xbox is already 4K and 60hz for a bunch of 1st party games

The rumor is there is cheaper Xbox for 1080p only, but freeysnc will still be beneficial.

plus HDR is already a thing and you haven't got a TV that can display that, there are already advantages you can make uswe of right now.
                            100% this... Been keeping an eye on prices but look towards February which is where TV generations get refreshed so the 2019 models should be cheaper than they were at black friday.

Personally I want bigger than 65" so I'm looking away from OLED but if you're grabbing the new consoles you will absolutely want hdmi 2.1 and VRR / FreeSync

Comment

[MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION]

Here's the TV thread.

Maybe turn it into the "Home AV" thread?

I've just taken delivery of an LG C9 55" OLED. It was a tough decision to move away from Team Sony but the LG represented better value for money than the equivalent Sony screen.

Audio is provided by a Sony HT-ZF9 Atmos enabled soundbar. You can get rear speakers to make it a full 5.1 system.but the bar works fine for me at present.

Comment

Cheers mate - I will pay more attention round these parts!

As part of the moving process I've got a number of 'what ifs' going round in my head; now that they're (more) affordable do I move to a 4k projector, if I need to change my separates what do I do (and how can I wire them), and if I want a second setup, what TV should I be looking at, and is a sound bar the best way to run that...

On the TV front I have heard a huge amount of love for the LG C9 series! Would be interested to hear how you get on with yours.

Comment

Working...
                                X