This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Yes, this is an issue with plasma. I love my 2012 Panasonic but it's pretty dark and, because I went for a cheaper model, lacks a reflectivity filter. Playing on a sunny day? Fuggedaboutit. You'll have an excellent view of yourself on the sofa looking disgruntled and not much else!

It was a trade-off I made to get the excellent dark room performance, which as a nerd who lives alone I'm well positioned to make use of. True Cinema mode with a Blu-Ray is really something special, and Game mode with its excellent colour and 16ms response is very strong too.

Eventually I want an OLED, but first I think my amp needs replacing :/

There is a consensus online that if you had plasma , you must have OLED.
    But one thing that is rarely mentioned is that full field brightness is approx 120nits on the LG models, a plasma could hit about 150.

While the image is able to hit 600ish in smaller, localisted areas, the average picture level is not disimilar.
    OLED is you best choice for SDR content and dark lighting conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      We looked at the same size in QLED, and though I could see the marked difference in picture quality it wasn’t enough for me to justify an additional £2200. After much tinkering I’m a lot happier with the image now though. Samsung haven’t exactly made it easy, it’s a faffy TV to use. I suppose the biggest issue last night was having to go to Ikea and buy/build a new monster cabinet to house it as our old one was too small even though it was a 60".
      So the main settings that you want ON

Game mode : On
      Local Dimming: This will really help with black levels
      Set it to ON or High

LED clear motion uses a good technique to reduce motion blue, by rapidly flashing the backlighting creating a high speed strobe effect. This will essentially half the brightness,but if you are coming from a plasma, you may not notice. You may notice the strobing however.

Don't enable HDR10+ mode, this adds additional processing.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
        There is a consensus online that if you had plasma , you must have OLED.
        But one thing that is rarely mentioned is that full field brightness is approx 120nits on the LG models, a plasma could hit about 150.

While the image is able to hit 600ish in smaller, localisted areas, the average picture level is not disimilar.
        OLED is you best choice for SDR content and dark lighting conditions.
        Yeah, I have read similar. I think as I've been comfortable with the trade off a dark set for excellent black levels for the last few years, I'll be OK with it on OLED too. It's not for everyone though.

At the same time, my knowledge of LCD is donkeys' years out of date, so it'll be worth demoing some options on that side too when the time comes.

Comment

I had a pioneer krp 500 a plasma. It was a great TV but the pq on the LG C8 blows it away in every department. If only I could Tate it!

Comment

Originally posted by ozzzy189 View Post
            I had a pioneer krp 500 a plasma. It was a great TV but the pq on the LG C8 blows it away in every department. If only I could Tate it!

Same here.

My OLED is in a south facing room with 7m of glass on that side. No problem at all with light output.

The Panny domestic plasmas were dim, their commercial range went much brighter, same with Kuros, they were dim out of the box, but you could make them brighter in the service menu.

OLED can be driven quite hard and will go plenty bright enough, the mistake many make, including many of the calibrators, is they keep the OLED backlight (drive) around 30-35 for night and 45 for day, and then crank the contrast up.
            Better to stick OLED backlight on 95 and set contrast to 65 for day and 50 for night if you find it too bright.

This give a better dynamic range for one, and also reduces the limiter, so if you have a screen full of white, like snow, you don't get it dimming.

I have mentioned it numerous times on the av forums, but not many try it, you can still calibrate the set the same, just so much better overall.

Comment

Could anybody recommend a 32-40 inch telly for the bedroom? Looking to spend about £300, it won’t be used for gaming just Sky, Netflix etc. Must be a smart tv.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
                Same here.

My OLED is in a south facing room with 7m of glass on that side. No problem at all with light output.

The Panny domestic plasmas were dim, their commercial range went much brighter, same with Kuros, they were dim out of the box, but you could make them brighter in the service menu.

OLED can be driven quite hard and will go plenty bright enough, the mistake many make, including many of the calibrators, is they keep the OLED backlight (drive) around 30-35 for night and 45 for day, and then crank the contrast up.
                Better to stick OLED backlight on 95 and set contrast to 65 for day and 50 for night if you find it too bright.

This give a better dynamic range for one, and also reduces the limiter, so if you have a screen full of white, like snow, you don't get it dimming.

I have mentioned it numerous times on the av forums, but not many try it, you can still calibrate the set the same, just so much better overall.
                It’s going to depend on the content, HDR is handled entirely differently. Changing settings won’t help improve the dynamic range beyond the physical limitations of the technology.
                From my research’, the LG displays are particularly difficult to calibrate in HDR , as they have non defeatable tone mapping when no metadata is supplied, which is the default for HDR Pattern generators, streaming services and videogames.

There is no doubt at all that for SDR content that OLED is the way to go.
                Last edited by EvilBoris; 15-07-2018, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                  Lovely - I bet last gen stuff looks wonderful!
                  Yeah its wonderful you can tell my mrs had a look and questioned why we dont have it as our main TV (GT50 currently). On longer inspection it is a fair bit softer and xbox one x looks last gen heh. But for bluray and dvd its a dream, so natural.

Comment

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
                    Same here.

Thanks giz. Steve bumtious kemp is calibration king and he's said some really interesting things about calibration. Nice to see you again. Avf is a bit of a weird place overrun with the mod police these days.
                    Last edited by ozzzy189; 16-07-2018, 21:08.

Comment

I've just put an order in for the new Sony AF9 Master Series TV. It looks awesome from what I've read of it, and I've been having some heated conversations with the Mrs. in regards to an external sound system. Fortunately this has a 3:2 system built in, which holds up well against a lot of external options by all accounts. What she doesn't know can't hurt her right?

I'm pairing that with the 2TB Sky Q package and my PS4 Pro, so I should be good for nights in during the upcoming "coldest winter in the past 200 years".

I'll let you know how I get on with it all.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Nice. Should be pretty accurate out of the box but it doesn't hurt to look at calibration. Lyris mate Vincent, from HDTVTest, is a good bet.
                        I'm curious about the Netflix mode on these TVs. Surely if it's accurately setup for SDR and HDR it doesn't need something specific for Netflix. Unless it's just to mask the low bitrate?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          Nice. Should be pretty accurate out of the box but it doesn't hurt to look at calibration. Lyris mate Vincent, from HDTVTest, is a good bet.
                          I'm curious about the Netflix mode on these TVs. Surely if it's accurately setup for SDR and HDR it doesn't need something specific for Netflix. Unless it's just to mask the low bitrate?
                          £300 extra may as well be a thing. I’ve always had a guy come in before, so this will be a standard.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by ozzzy189 View Post
                            Just got an LG 65C8 , gaming is awesome on this TV. I'm really happy with it.
                            Hi, the 55 model finally hit a decent price, so went for that. Do you (or anyone else) have tips for settings?

I have 4 HDMI devices to configure: Xbox 1 X, PS4 Pro, Switch and Apple TV 4K. I have no idea if I need different settings per box, but some general advice would be appreciated! it is in the upstairs TV lounge which has blackout blinds, so quite low ambient light.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Ignore above, found the info I needed

Comment

The time has come. Probably. My faithful 32” Samsung HD TV, which I’ve had for 10 years or so, is occasionally getting a bit of screen burn. It does fade but I’m starting to think I should upgrade. Especially as my old eyes aren’t as good as they used to be.

Thinking about something like this as a replacement. 55” inches, around £400.00 and a load of features I’ll probably never bother with.

Worth a punt?

Comment

Working...
                                X