New Super Mario Bros. U review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was all those dirty casuals the Wii brought in
    That might not even be that off the mark, the 3DS sold about half what the NDS did but NSMB2 had a steeper drop off than that from what I can tell in sales momentum.

Comment

I'm struggling to get into this and dying a lot more than I feel I should...

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        It was all those dirty casuals the Wii and DS brought in
        Corrected to fully account for the Touch! Generations era!

That might not even be that off the mark, the 3DS sold about half what the NDS did but NSMB2 had a steeper drop off than that from what I can tell in sales momentum.
        Yup. The very first NSMB game on DS remains the best-selling title in the NSMB series with 31m copies sold. NSMB2 on 3DS sold less than half of that with 13m. I remember critics and gamers alike being very meh towards NSMB2 (myself included) as it was just more of the same bland identikit 2D Mario from NSMB Wii and the coin-grinding element didn't really work at all.
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 01-02-2019, 11:11.

Comment

It was all those dirty casuals the Wii brought in
          I actually do think the ‘casual’ contingent of Wii owners had a big impact. 2D Mario is more familiar to more people, and easier to grasp control and gameplay wise than 3D Mario if you rarely play games.

I’d love a Galaxy 3, but I don’t feel the impact NSMB had on the 3D Mario franchise was too negative. We got 3D World, which was great, then Odyssey which was an absolute blinder. We’ve had more 3D Mario in the past few years than 2D. Which is kind of surprising actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            To this day though I still can't understand how the masses embraced classic 2D Mario over 3D in the modern era.
            My theory is that there simply hadn't been a 2D Mario in a long time at that point. Before NSMB debuted on the DS back in 2006, Super Mario Land 2 on the GB in 1992 was the last proper 2D Mario game as there wasn't one on N64 or GC.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              We’ve had more 3D Mario in the past few years than 2D. Which is kind of surprising actually.
              I don't think that's true. What timeframe are you specifying from?

In the context of 3D Land, 3D World and Odyssey we have had, in the same period, NSMB2, NSMBU, NSLU (originally touted as DLC but eventually pushed as a retail title), Super Mario Maker and Super Mario Maker 3DS.
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 01-02-2019, 15:43.

Comment

From 3D World to now. Barring rereleases we’ve only had Mario Maker, which is kind of a different beast to NSMB anyway.

I kinda felt like 3D Mario might be dead a few years ago due to the NSMB sales juggernaut, but fortunately it hasn’t proved to be the case.

Comment

I think Nintendo need the 3D Marios. NSMB might sell well but I’m betting it’s no system seller. It’s an easy inoffensive safe purchase for people who already own the system. I can’t imagine there is a way to demonstrate it but I’d speculate that Galaxy sold more Wiis than NSMB did. And that Odyssey sold way more Switches than a NSMB would have. And maybe if they’d had something that looked more impressive than 3D World, as good as it was as a game, they’d have sold more WiiUs too.

Comment

Oddessy sold me on a Switch after skipping the WiiU (the only Nintendo console I haven't owned) so there must be some truth behind that statement.

Comment

Stating the obvious, but without figures there's no way to know for sure if the Galaxy games drove Wii hardware sales better than NSMB Wii did. NSMB Wii outsold Galaxy by roughly 2:1 and outsold Galaxy 2 by roughly 5:1 so it looks highly doubtful.

For one thing, I might be wrong but I don't recall Galaxy or Galaxy 2 being officially bundled with the Wii as a pack-in whereas I feel like I can recall NSMB Wii being officially bundled with the Wii (again I could be wrong but I can't be arsed to Google it).
                      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 03-02-2019, 11:07.

Comment

Working...
                      X