BBC Documentaries on Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Documentaries on Blu-ray

possibly daft question but does anybody know if Planet Earth Special Edition and Civilisation have been released in the better plastic cases as online I've only seen the flimsy card boxes like these?

We have most of the BBC stuff and all the others come in cases like this.

I know with other series the BBC has released them in the card cases at launch but then replaced them with teh standard cases later on so I'm wondering if anybody knows if these two have had the same?

It's not that important I suppose but having had card cases before tehy tend to be crappy and wjhen ordered online they seem to get damaged in the post too.
    Last edited by 85 78 73 81 85 69; 11-12-2012, 23:35.

Managed to find Planet Earth in the non crap boxes as part of this double set, not got Life so it's worked out well.

Luckily this version isn't the 1080/60p but the correct 1080/50i version. Not finding any alternatives to the cardboxes for Civilisation.

Comment

Has their been a bluray release yet of Blue Planet (the BBC/Discovery series, not the IMAX showcase) that has Attenborough and not James Bond?

Comment

I've not heard anything of a blu-ray release yet although the way the BBC have handled his stuff this year I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 or 5 of the older series getting a release next year.

The non Life documentaries have been handled differently to the "Life" series as apart from Blue Planet and Planet Earth they're new so got blu-ray releases within a year, Blue Planet is different as it's from 2001 so didn't get aquick release on blu-ray.
        Planet Earth (2007)
        Life (2012)
        Frozen planet (2012)
        The Blue Planet

The BBC has started releasing the classic Life series though and released three this year so they've started dealing with the older stuff now.
        Life on Earth (2012)
        The Trials of Life (2012)
        First Life (2012)

Apart from the Specials, the one off shows, Wildlife on 1, etc they don't have that many left to release, there's 8 left and I'd guess they're not going to release less this year than last.

The earlier stuff like Trials of Life looks amazing so Blue Planet should look equally good whenever wedo get it.

Comment

Do you have the Ganges or Wild China ones to comment on their quality. Galapagos is my fave so far.

i want them all really sans Julia Bradbury's canal/river walks hehe

Comment

Not got anythem but I believe they're all fine part from Wild China which had a lot of criticism everywhere I saw it reviewed. Everything I've seen seems to suggest it's down to poor choices rather than thematerial they used http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...na_blu-ray.htm

I suppose there's a chance theymay re-release it at some point

I keep looking at The Natural History Collection as it's usually about ?25 and is a 7 disc set of Wild China, Galapagos, South Pacific and Natures Great Events.

Not seen any Julia Bradbury stuff.

I tend to prefer the Attenborough stuff over pretty much anybody else, as well as presenting it he wrote all of the Life series so he has a real understanding of what he's talking about. With some of the newer presenters I feel that sometimes the programmes are too much about them rather than the topic where Attenborough knows when to hold back, when to stay out of the way.

Have you seen 60 Years in The Wild yet? Not seen it but I do like the look of it.

Not quite the same butthe BBC have just released Michael Palin's Brazil on blu-ray so there may be more of his stuff on the way.

Comment

The Natural History Collection looks like one to go for, can't recommend Galapagos enough.

Comment

The collection looks decent for the price, most of the stuff in it is quite cheap out of the set but it seems a bit cheaper like this.

Had a look on youtube for the julia Bradbury stuff, all it seems to bring up is videos of her walking around in slowmo in bikinis, close up shots of her nipples and/or legs and her complaining about ISPs and energy suppliers.

Comment

A bit more info about these, apparently First Life only received a general DVD release globally although there was a limited Dutch blu-ray release before the BBC removed it, almost as if it was released by accident or something.

Due to the limited release you can pay up to ?40 for it which is a lot for a single disc three hour show. I have sen it around the ?20-?25 mark too which is still a lot and I wouldn't pay that much.

It does contain Dutch subtitles but I can't find any info about the disc so I've messaged a seller on ebay just to check that they are removable.

Comment

Working...
                  X