Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article: Halo - the revolution that came and went

Full article: http://www.bordersdown.net/content/5...-came-and-went

Do you know of any action games that defy this trend? Or maybe some very bad offenders where the level of freedom is highly restricted? Or am I simply wrong in thinking most action games have regressed into very controlled, linear experiences? Let us know your thoughts!

Wonderful article, I agree with every word.

Halo changed everything & rather than taking the lead with its ideas, every other developer is taking a cinematic route. We have the best graphics and audio in the world, but no freedom or originality to have fun with.

Comment

Thanks! Should also be noted that at the time of writing Far Cry 3 hadn't been released. If that game doesn't smother me with waypoints it could be a good exception to the rule.

Comment

You mention Far Cry 3, but what about Far Cry 2 and Crysis? Both great action games where you get to script so much of the action by the choices you make on the fly.

Comment

Crysis is a decent example. At the same time, if you look at the much more linear sequel, the trend is clearly visible. Never played Far Cry 2 actually, hope to do so before I plunge into the third game.

Comment

Nice article. Didn't know we had another Norwegian here. That's at least three Vikings that I know of.

FC2 is okay, and would have been magnificent had it not had respawning checkpoints and poor fast travel options. FC3 is erm... Helt fantastisk!!

Comment

I played the first farcry on original Xbox and thought it was generic and extremely boring. The Halo series had an incredible first game and a steady decline in quality since.

Comment

Re: Article: Halo - the revolution that came and went

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                Nice article. Didn't know we had another Norwegian here. That's at least three Vikings that I know of.
                Who's the third? I thought it was just you and Alex.

Comment

Vistors from Norway last month (obviously mostly not registered users):

1. Rogaland 291
                  2. Hordaland 282
                  3. Oslo 134
                  4. Vestfold 5

Comment

MoFo2 is Norwegian i'm sure.

(I lived in Norway for a bit but that doesn't count!)

Comment

Mofo2 is from the same place as me . Raggen too from the GRAWsome days.

Comment

Working...
                      X