Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And we're into the final three!

DAY 10

Wario Land for Virtual Boy (full title btw)

A birthday present from my ex back in 2005/6, I forget which. The only real platformer to come out on the VB.

Comment

Day 10

Another PSP arrival today, this time Tekken Dark Resurrection. Long time since I've played Tekken (think the last one was the shocker that was Tekken 4) so I'm intrigued as to how the series has matured - which is probably the wrong word to use when describing a Tekken game.

Had quite a long go on Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker last night. Stunning, stunning game. Hugely impressed with what Konami have achieved visually on the small screen and I like the comic book -esque presentation during the cut scenes. Do have a question though, what control scheme did people go with when playing on the PSP? I've gone with the MGS 4 one for the time being but it feels really odd using the buttons for camera controls - I instinctively press 'X' to crouch and keep getting caught.

Comment

Day 10

Today's game is Mortal Kombat for the Vita is free for Plus member and i've never played a handheld one for i thought that i'll give it a go and i'm started a game of Phantasy Star Zero ​on my DS too

Comment

Love Phantasy Star Zero.

Comment

VB Wario Land was fun, 14 short stages with a boss every few. Didn't finish it of course

Comment

DAY 11

The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Seasons on GBC.

Only got this a few weeks ago and never played either of the games when they were originally released. Should be interesting.

Comment

Day 11

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories on the PSP. Played a little of this the other day. Extremely fun stuff and I'm liking how they've added the later GTA vehicles like the motorbike to the Liberty City setting. Also the animation is a lot less rigid than I remember - not sure if they've tweaked this or I'm just not remembering it correctly.

Tekken Dark Resurrection is superb! really enjoyed playing through last night though I must say wtf have they done to Paul Phoenix? I recall him being one of the more serious characters in the Tekken series, whereas in this he is the comedy relief. Did think his ending was great mind!

Comment

Day 11

Todays game is Knytt Underground for the PS3 and the Vita so far it's fun

Comment

Day 11

Had the flat to myself today so I've been making the most of it with some Christmas gaming!

Super Mario 3D Land

Completed Super Mario 3D Land on my newly acquired 3DS XL and loved it. It's a beautiful game, one of the very best ever made. I would place it ahead of Super Mario 64 as it has some great platforming moments, fantastic level design, inch perfect control and it makes wonderful use of the 3D. So good was the 3D effect that it had the same sway over me as Mario 64 did back in the 1990's, I really thought that feeling of seeing something so new and shocking would never be recaptured.

How could I underestimate Nintendo?

To wind down after Mario, I've played a few laps of Gran Turismo 5 in the F1 2010 around Spa. It's still the best simulation of racing I've encountered and the sensation of winding up the speed and hitting perfect braking points is unrivalled.

After that I played a few minutes of Tomb Raider 2 after buying it in the PSN Sale for ?2. The graphics have aged a little more than I remembered but the sense of scale and loneliness in the first level are ever present. Too fiddly than the genre defining original but it's very good.

Finally I played a good half hour or so in the company of Resident Evil 3. It was good to see Capcom UK put up the US version of the game on the UK store and it takes some getting used to playing it at its intended speed! The graphics are sublime in this, with the pre-rendered backdrops showing up some of the 32 bit classics. The game still plays great but i was surprised by how liberal they treat the player on Easy mode. Fully equipped M4 Machine gun with 2 clips, shotgun, pistol and magnum, all waiting for you in the first container! After playing some of Resi 3, it's made me decide to do a full run through of Resident Evil 2 in the New Year.

Comment

Day 12

Today is Christmas Eve and the last game of the Twelve games of Christmas is Phantasy Star Zero on the DS didn't have time to play it on day 10 so as i'm not going out today its the best time to play it

Comment

Attempt abandoned due to existence of Bayonetta.

Comment

DAY 12

Super Robot Taisen 64 on N64

Only recently got my hands on a boxed copy of this (after a certain forum member, whose name shall be disguised as Hoobish Nat, forced me up to $29 for it - the next copy went for under $7...)
                          Perfect reason to break out the N64.

Comment

Start phantasy star zero and i have to say i'm not really feeling it will have to move onto something different so not feeling it think i'll move onto Solatorobo ​thats a fun game

Comment

Day 12

Last day! Going to give Castlevania a go for the GBA - need to get my SP charged first!

Also I'll be giving Wipeout Pure a try as that arrived today and then maybe (if I'm still awake) a brief run on Shenmue.

Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories was pretty damn ace last night but I am struggling with the aiming. I find it difficult to switch between targets with the auto aim and often find myself plowing all my ammo into an already dead enemy. Still, the motorbike is pretty damn awesome and it's just damn impressive to see this running on a handheld.

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                              Day 11

Had the flat to myself today so I've been making the most of it with some Christmas gaming!

Super Mario 3D Land

Completed Super Mario 3D Land on my newly acquired 3DS XL and loved it. It's a beautiful game, one of the very best ever made. I would place it ahead of Super Mario 64 as it has some great platforming moments, fantastic level design, inch perfect control and it makes wonderful use of the 3D. So good was the 3D effect that it had the same sway over me as Mario 64 did back in the 1990's, I really thought that feeling of seeing something so new and shocking would never be recaptured.
                              Went into Game today for the first time in years and they had a 3DS booth with Super Mario 3D Land in the corner. The 3D is just sublime. I didn't play very much so can't comment on that (other than to say they've ditched the triple jump mechanic from Super Mario 64) but yes, really sold me on the 3DS.

Comment

Working...
                              X