No announcement yet.

All the World's Wrongs: Games At Fault!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to see those figures compared to other death hazards such as cars, bleach, peanuts, etc.

I'm not arsed either way, but if guns account for only 2% of annual child deaths someone's going to have a strong case.

Comment

The thing is most of the potential underlying issues that are commonly raised mean close to zip in real terms because they apply to millions upon millions of kids in other countries dealing with the same issues without mowing down others in a blaze of bullets. That line of thinking is too often used to side step the real issue.

It's the same with all this talk about games. Trump doesn't care about them, he's demonstrated he doesn't know anything about them either, it's just a lazy and easy way to look like he's doing something without actually doing anything. Games and their content are already regulated so unless he plans to pass a law instantly imprisoning any parent found to be buying adult rated titles it's all his usual puff and bluster.

Guns are within easy reach of children. It's that simple. As long as they remain freely available the nations culture will remain orientated around them and more will die. It's plain and simple individual selfishness causing these deaths.

Comment

Guns aren't comparable to those other things because guns have no other purpose than to kill.

Even if "only 2%" of child deaths are due to guns, that's 2% more children dying for no other reason than a bunch of people doing everything in their power to keep the guns flowing no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          In happier news, I've just bought this and I look forward to my lucrative new career as a surgeon.
          Another Harold Shipman in the making. You sick bastard.

Comment

Trump's video on gaming violence has proven popular.

Whilst it'll serve the usual ill-informed critics, the video is embarrassing in it's reliance on going to quite old titles (though every year there's no shortage of titles that fit the bill) and misses the irony of how many clips feature... well, guns

Comment

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
              The whole gun thing is taking away from the real problems in America imho.

You have a generation of young men with no father figures in their lives, they are also being told it wrong to be boy, young men are falling into depression traps and then getting put on some seriously ****ed up meds to try and help them cope with this, which in reality does the exact opposite and turn them into paranoid wrecks.
              I think the father figures is a load of old tosh and its self, used as an excuse not just in the USA but in the UK too. Its all about upbringing, but far too many households see kids as nothing more than extra benefits for their drugs and drink habits, or even as a way to get on the housing ladder For too many adults and even teenagers can bardly look after or support theirselfs, much less bring kids into the world and so most will be doomed to live in households that care little for them, much less provide them with a solid foundation and I'll include plenty of houses with layabout Dads too

I don't think its much better in the UK, the only saving grace, is rather than reach for a gun, some go for Knives.

This might not work with video games (we can digitally copy them), but the pace of technology might eventually make today's violent games unpalatable to all but the most ardent: PCE Splatterhouse has a pretty niche audience, right?
              Doubt it, given one of the most violent games of all time GTA V is also one of the best selling games ever made.

No much will change, Guns will still be on sale and games like Quake will be blamed .
              Last edited by Team Andromeda; 12-03-2018, 08:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                Trump's video... misses the irony of how many clips feature... well, guns
                Even worse, as the EG article I read mentioned, most of them involve you controlling a U.S. soldier!

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                  Even worse, as the EG article I read mentioned, most of them involve you controlling a U.S. soldier!
                  It's not new, I remember various lawsuits made against Quake, The outcry over NightTrap and even on Kids Saturday morning show Going LIVE videogames were blamed for violence with kids. People have to make excuses for people actions instead of blaming the individual. One isn't to blame for kicking a fellow driver head in, it was Road Rage that was to blame. There are parts of the world that don't have electric, much less playing console games , but have mass killings

One only needs to watch the News or a show like Eastenders to see endless violence. Maybe we need to blame BBCs Eastenders for the amount divorces in the UK, since not a single marriage as ever worked in that show lol.

Comment

I can't remember if we are still blaming Rock and Roll for corrupting the youth?

I feel like we're whistling in the wind here as Trump, NRA and a great number of Americans will pass the blame onto anything other than the proliferation of military-grade weapons.

Heck, the NRA is suing Florida for bringing in stricter gun control that raises the minimum buying age, enforces a 3-day cool down period, bans bump stocks and allows the police to confiscate weapons easier.

Even though it's been researched that videogames don't cause violence, the Supreme Court asserted that, like books, plays, and other forms of media, video games qualify for protection under the First Amendment and the American Psychological Association (APA) noted that there was insufficient evidence to link this kind of exposure to violent videgames to criminal violence, delinquency, or physiological and neurological changes as recently as 2015, I'm totally open to discuss some changes.

It's a very complex matter that involves exposure to violent imagery, inefficient mental health care, broken homes, over prescription of psychiatric drugs and the easy access to semi-automatic weapons.

The problem is, The NRA/Whitehouse have no desire to flex on their standpoint.

The same violent games, films and books are consumed in the UK and Japan, for example, but the number of shootings and, more importantly, MASS shootings are drastically lower.

You may say that Neo in The Matrix asking for "Guns. Lots of guns" might incite gun violence, but our inability in the UK to easily or legally access those guns is the number one reason why we have less mass shootings.

Well, it sounds like Trump has his scapegoat for now, so it's back to wind whistlin'.
                    Last edited by QualityChimp; 17-07-2018, 13:44.

Comment

Heck, the NRA is suing Florida for bringing in stricter gun control that raises the minimum buying age, enforces a 3-day cool down period, band bump stocks and allows the police to confiscate weapons easier
                      The very fact that an arms company is even allowed to get anywhere near a court with this and not laughed at should tell you everything about how broken the US government is when it comes to firearms.
                      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 12-03-2018, 13:11.

Comment

None of it makes sense. Want to buy beer? You need to be (at least) 21. Fancy an assault rifle? As long as you're 18, knock yourself out and get yourself an armoury. Insane.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                          None of it makes sense. Want to buy beer? You need to be (at least) 21. Fancy an assault rifle? As long as you're 18, knock yourself out and get yourself an armoury. Insane.
                          America is nuts, I remember I couldn't use a Pool Table out in Florida because I was only 19 at the time lol. Videogames are an easy target and have always been blamed. Japan in the 90s should have put America to shame for voilcence and shootings when Japan was the gaming Captial of the world and Japan didn't sensor games like RE,even Castlevania IV and also had RED Blood in their videogames while the west had white or green blood.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            The very fact that an arms company is even allowed to get anywhere near a court with this and not laughed at should tell you everything about how broken the US government is when it comes to firearms.
                            Firearms are banned within the Whitehouse and US federal government buildings.

Not sure why, if they're perfectly safe?

Comment

That's a brilliant point, Asura!

Comment

I was in Graham, Texas a few years back asa stopover on a US road trip. Went in to Walmart or whatever shop it was and the staff looked at me as if I’d just pushed their grannies down a staircase when I asked where the beer aisle was, I didn’t know it was a ‘dry’ town. The funny thing was I asked the guy while standing in the gun aisle! I was laughing and saying “wait, you can’t buy a beer in here but I can buy a gun?”. They didn’t laugh along with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X