Which Console will you buy: 720 or PS4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Console will you buy: 720 or PS4?

Something suddenly hit me this week, I've owned a PS3 for almost 7 years now, & the the 360 has been out even longer. The first download game I ever bought was 'Calling All Cars' on PSN.

Today my PS3 has given up reading discs, and I am ready for a new console.

Only this time, I won't be instantly backing the brand I've become so close to over the years.

I've always bought PS1/PS2/PS3 but after PS3 and some major flaws/letdowns I'm really going to pay closer attention this time.

I think the next console battle will most importantly depend on these two things:

1. Price
    2. Release date

I'm fed up with Sony tbh and I'm ready for ultimate competitiveness between them & Microsoft.

WHAT YA'LL THINK!?

*POLL PLEASE MODS *

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/383978/features/exposed-playstation-in-2013/
    Last edited by Harry; 30-12-2012, 00:12.

I was fed up with Sony before the PS3 and though I own one its my least used console to date mainly because I much prefer Xbox LIVE, I bought the 360 first (as it released first? And most 3rd party titles are identical or sometimes better on the 360.

I've honestly played less than 40 hours worth of gaming on my PS3 in four years... Aside from it being the "singstar" machine as the wife calls it. I've used it for Blu-Ray as well but I've curbed my ownership of movies down to personal classics now. In short the PS3 for me was nothing short of a waste of money.

The only reason I haven't sold it is because its a HK import original fat version and probably worth very little now.

As such... I won't bother with the PS4 at all unless Sony do something incredible on the machine that makes me take notice. Same goes for Microsoft as well, but already I am invested enough to have an expectation that its that machine that will interest me the most.

One things for sure. I'll be taking a huge interest in E3 this year.

Comment

XBOX Live is loads better than PSN. Hell! Even the XBOX 1's Live was better, atleast everyone had a unified microphone and sounded like real people when you spoke to them.

Live is one of the reasons I'm not just going to buy a PS4 straight away next year, that and the 2 points I already mentioned.

Comment

I'm still not happy with Xbox LIVE as a whole but throughout this generation it's been miles ahead of what PSN offers, though the gap has closed a lot in the past couple of years.

Really I think now the service is ingrained and has a massive userbase MS needs to restructure in terms of pricing and content. Most if not all apps need to be free (IE for instance) and I'd argue that the cost per year should be reduced. I'd be happy if they just offered purchasing a 2,3 or 4 year subscription and a reduced rate for instance.

MS points need to disappear but it seems they're already doing that. Support for larger player counts needs to be possible so games like Battlefield or MMO can live on the platform unhindered. I'd also like to see a central functionality for taking screenshots and video that an be shared via YouTube etc...

Anyway... Plenty can be done in that space and with any launch of new hardware it's important they all other areas are suitably improved as well. I think back to the 360 launch, wireless controllers, arcade game downloads, achievements etc... It's all stuff we take for granted now.

Comment

Owned both consoles for a long time, played loads on them. Here are my thoughts

1) Both consoles develop faults (YLOD, RROD, etc) so in terms of build quality they are pretty much the same

2) Online: Xbox Live IS better though you have to pay for it. PSN is free. You get what you pay for.

3) Exclusives: The PS3 has more exclusive titles than the 360. That's a fact. It used to be overpriced in its first 2-3 years but now I believe its the better console in terms of titles. Of course all the goods shmups are on a Japanese 360

Which nextgen console I will buy next? Can't really tell to be honest. I will wait and see

Comment

If I had to choose I would be getting the NextBox first and foremost, for the same reasons I never bought a PS3 at launch. I don't really fancy waiting a couple of years for developers to get to grips with the console.

If Sony can sort that part out, and actually produce a decent pad design then they will get my money as well.

Saying that if M$ continue with their obsession of ad filled dashboards and kinect stuff that don't work, then I won't be getting a NextBox either. They need to move on from that and start actually giving something back to XBL subscribers.

Comment

I've found the reliability of my PS3 - needed repairs once to three times with the 360 - to be better.

Overall, I think I slightly prefer the games on the 360.

But I have very much appreciated the region free aspect of PS3 gaming, and had fun using remote play. Plus, I think the shop is better than X-Box live marketplace.

I never play online, so that is a non-issue for me.

If one or other is region free, then it will probably be my first purchase, although I will probably end up getting both.

Comment

I thought the PSN was awful in till I brought a PS3 and actually used the service.

Online play is free, cheap PS1 downloads, constant sales, great players to play against.

The only drawback in my eyes is that literally none of my mates own a PS3 so online gaming is always played with randoms. I think that PSN draws a lot of flack simply because so few people seem to use the service.

Comment

As somebody who is primarily an offline player with little interest in the online side of things outside digital-only games, I find XBox Live to be far more intrusive. It's nice to be able to fire up the PS3 and hardly even know you're connected to an online network. It's very subtle and and not intrusive, it just runs in the background. Contrast with the dashboard full of advertisements that greet you every time you turn on an XBox.

This is definitely going to be a factor for me with the next generation. Region free and ability to use multiple region accounts will be the real decider, but the ability to connect to the online network without the whole thing permeating every element of the offline experience will also be significant for me personally.

Comment

If I buy a console during the next gen (no Wii U option?), reliability will be a big determinant. I've transferred from 360 to PS3 for this reason during this generation, also I like that basic online play is not subscription-based, which means I can play the occasional game if I want, without feeling compelled to get value for money. Would be nice if trophies were better integrated, like achievements – seems like I have to keep syncing them on PS3 – and also all the hard drive installs and incremental updating.

Comment

Re: Which Console will you buy: 720 or PS4?

I believe that the living room pc will become an option next year. Valve and others will create small pc consoles.

Comment

PS4 day one for me, well as long as it launches with a game
                        Nextbox when hell freezes over (or Deadly Premonition 2 comes out as exclusive, or Boris buys me one to make me a fibber)

Comment

Working...
                        X