No announcement yet.

Manned Mission to Mars in 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go in a heartbeat. But I'm single. Rather unfit. And would never pass the screening and selection progam. Alas.

Comment

Wanna go to Mars? A Dutch company will start taking applications soon. Be warned though: it's a one way trip. The idea is to settle on Mars and build a community.

Comment

Please god let the first applicant be called Douglas Quaid

Comment

I'm all for this kind of thing, but a one way journey sounds a bit mental - mainly due to the social and psychological effects.

Imagine if one of your team becomes a twat? Imagine if you get home sick? Imagine if there's a murder?

Comment

Imagine if the batteries run out in your 3DS. What kind of plug sockets do they even have on Mars? Do Boots sell an adapter?

Comment

Amazing new fusion rocket that could get to mars in 30 days ? anyone read up on this
              A new fusion engine being developed by scientists at the University of Washington with funding from NASA could make all other forms of space travel obsolete.
              Last edited by yesteryeargames; 17-04-2013, 13:27.

Comment

I was acutally about to start a new thread on the Dutch project...

Thing is though, this is a one way trip, which is fair enough, if you are young enough, it probably wouldn't be because at some point ferrying people from Earth to Mars and back again should be prefectly possible.

However and this is my main sticking point, what are they actually going to do to when they get there? If they were building actual structures for poeple to live in (proper ones not just the spaceship you land in) then I could see the point. otherwsie they will go mad within 6 months.

Also it just looks like its being set up as Big Brother Mars edition. I mean seriously have we now got the point in our civilisation where we can send people to another planet and then make a ****ing reality TV show out of it! Sometimes I do wonder...

The types of people that are going to be going for this are going to be the same sort of people that BB take, they will be dead within 6 months.

What we need is a proper go at colonising the Moon first of all, build the technology required, and then go to Mars. Send engineers, doctors, etc and do it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
                  Amazing new fusion rocket that could get to mars in 30 days ? anyone read up on this
                  http://www.usatoday.com/videos/tech/sciencefair/2013/04/15/2084601/
                  Yeah, scientists have been working on nuclear fusion for a long time, primarily to provide a safer and cleaner alternative to nuclear fission reactors. I remember watching a programme a couple of years ago which claimed it probably won't become a reality until at least 2050, so I don't know how likely we are to see it used in rockets before then. You're basically building a mini star, and you can imagine the dangers involved in putting that in a craft carrying humans.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    I'm all for this kind of thing, but a one way journey sounds a bit mental - mainly due to the social and psychological effects.

Imagine if one of your team becomes a twat? Imagine if you get home sick? Imagine if there's a murder?
                    Yeah, it could all go horribly wrong very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
                      http://www.usatoday.com/videos/tech/...04/15/2084601/
                      Slightly off topic but if we could start using nuclear fusion to generate electricity it would be give us a virtually inexhaustible supply of power and solve the energy needs of the planet for longer than the planet is likely to even exist.

It would be a massive step forward, it's within our reach, but governments put hardly any money into it despite the massive benefits it would bring. Science funding from governments is far too low in general as well, but that's going even further off topic!

Anyway, yeah, a nuclear fusion powered engine would be cool too

For those of us without sound http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/10/nasa_fusion_engine_fast_mars_trip/

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                      Yeah, scientists have been working on nuclear fusion for a long time, primarily to provide a safer and cleaner alternative to nuclear fission reactors. I remember watching a programme a couple of years ago which claimed it probably won't become a reality until at least 2050, so I don't know how likely we are to see it used in rockets before then. You're basically building a mini star, and you can imagine the dangers involved in putting that in a craft carrying humans.
                      Was that the Horizon programme they did on it? I saw that too, very very interesting. If we had world governments all chipping in we could get there so much quicker. We always hear about governments not liking to fund science if a practical benefit can't be seen, so it's bizarre that this doesn't get more attention when it's virtually all practical benefit.
                      Last edited by EJG1980; 17-04-2013, 14:04.

Comment

Crazy. We can't even look after this planet and the stuff that lives on it.

Comment

Can't argue with that.

Comment

You're basically building a mini star
                            You have been watching too much Spiderman 2 ... Doesn't work like that ... More like magnetic confinement of super heated plasma, not quite the same thing.

Comment

Bit of an exageration by myself there, I agree, but to accuse me of watching Spiderman? Unforgivable!

Comment

Bit of an exageration by myself there, I agree, but to accuse me of watching Spiderman? Unforgivable!
                                Of course technically the Sun is a big ball of super heated Plasma, which is in some part magnetically confined ... so technically you were not that wrong!

Comment

Working...
                                X