2D shmups - What would you like to see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2D shmups - What would you like to see?

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

I pointed out in that thread that the high pitched squeaky schoolgirl thing has been done before and I'm a bit bored of it. Fuse rightly pointed out that shmups are about the game hooks and bullet patterns rather than the story, but I wonder if that's part of the "problem" too. Almost all releases are swirly bullet patterns filling the screen. I love these types of shmup, but it's becoming stale for me. I'm beginning to lust for something simpler like Ikari Warriors or Pop N Twinbee (or even Commando ), but there doesn't seem to any demand for that style of game now. I suppose I could go retro, but I want a modern take on these. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough - anything on XBLA? I'd also like a backstory with characters that fit - the idea of a squeaky schoolgirl taking on a giant army doesn't gel. It works in Deathsmiles as its magic based though.

What would you like to see from a modern shmup?

Modern shmups are about bullet patterns, but what I think of as shmups are not, and are massively more enjoyable for it. All these modern Cave games <get ready to listen to the heretic> are ****e. Shmups are no longer fun.

Comment

lol, moaning old git. So you don't want to see bullet hell, but what DO you want to see?

Comment

Graphics wise, I miss the style of PCE shooters: the exquisitely designed main ships going against marvellously complex giant mechas and other technological things...I need to pop in Soldier Blade from time to time to revel in the mecha design of the bad guys, absolutely wonderful.
        I will expand on my thoughts when I'll be able to put them into a readable form, so far I started over this post thrice due to results being less intelligible than usual.

Comment

I think you've got two lines of thought crossing over here - one regarding plot/character designs, and the other about more approachable and varied mechanics.

If you're looking for XBLA titles which are less bullet-hell like you've got things like Strania, Triggerheart Exelica, and Trouble Witches - I've not played too much of these (with the exception of THE) but I understand there's some pretty fun mechanics to tinker with in them too, but I doubt they'll cure your character/plot woes.
          Have you tried Sine Mora? That plays quite differently to a lot of the Japanese-developed titles, and makes a lot of effort on the story-telling front. If you want to branch out your description of what a shmup is (you mention Ikari Warriors...) you can look at things like Hard Corps Uprising, Omega Five?

Anyway, in terms of what I want? I... actually need to think about this some more

Comment

Hard Corps Uprising, Pixeljunk SIdescroller and Galaga HD have all served me well on PS3. No story just blasting, with less of the bullet-hell dynamic.
            That being said, I would be incredibly happy to see Ikaruga on PS3/3DS/WiiU.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
              lol, moaning old git. So you don't want to see bullet hell, but what DO you want to see?
              Just a return to the 8/16 bit style shooter would make me happy, that's all I need/want. Give me a game on a par with R-Type and I won't moan about games for aaaaaaaaages. In fact, if that came about it might actually get me back in to gaming as currently I feel very negative about it as a pastime. As far as downloadable stuff is concerned, I did enjoy Gatling Gears immensely, which is one of those twin stick style shooters, but beautifully done.

Comment

If you like Gatling Gears, try Renegade Ops.. probably my most played ps3 title. Also, Hydorah

Last edited by kallbrand; 04-04-2013, 11:25.

Comment

Have you played Omega Five, Ikobo?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                    Have you played Omega Five, Ikobo?
                    I have it on my 360, I just can't seem to grasp it though. Which is a shame, as it looks lovely.

Comment

Ah shame. It's a lovely game.

Comment

A side scroller featuring a juggling monkey on a unicycle floating through time. He has an infinite supply of juggling balls that are used as your main shot. Bombs would be monkey poop and you'd get your usual fire/ice etc type shots.

He'd also have to be wearing a waistcoat and a fez. And the unicycle would be red. And have a honky horn.

Comment

As long as there is a scoring hook, its all good. Deathsmiles wasn't really a bullet-hell shooter but had a scoring hook, as did Akai Kitana (or whatever the spelling is).

Overall I want to see Gradius V in HD. Even if it ends up on the Vita. I'd buy a Vita just for that game.

Comment

I've played THE on the DC and I got it on XBLA too. Enjoyed it quite a lot.
                            Strania I appear to have checked the demo of already and deleted, so I guess I didn't like it, although I don't remember.
                            Adding Trouble Witches and Omega Five to my queue.

I bought Sine Mora and whilst at first it appears to have everything going for it, there were some crazy difficulty spikes that put me off eventually. And that stupid garbage tunnel of death

Comment

I know exactly which section you mean. It's a shame considering how lovely the game is otherwise.

Akai Katana is about 8 quid on Amazon right now btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X