Star Trek (360) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek (360) review

Being a big Trekkie, I've been looking forward to this release for some time.

It promised a canon story (from the timeline of the new films), that takes place in between the last movie and the new movie. It also promised that it wouldn't fall into the pitfalls of many movie/game tie ins...

So...sounds good so far...

Turned it on...greeted with a very nice menu with the Enterprise crew in the background. They look a little smooth, yet I'm impressed. The music is also very stirring, getting me ready to jump into what I feel will be an epic game...

It begins. I get the choice of Kirk or Spock. Cool. I go for Spock....

I click continue...Hmmm...what's going on? Straight into action. Bit of generic awkward shooting, I don't really know what I'm doing. This seems like Gears of War with a Star Trek skin...ok, I can accept that....that's cool....except after a few minutes...I realise it isn't really anything like Gears of War - it's like a cheap and nasty knock off.

The control are incredibly awkward. Like something you'd find in the first 3D games back in the Playstation era. Not good. It seems a hassle to do anything. Gameplay is basically a poor version of Gears of War with a tricorder and a companion character - either Kirk or Spock depending on who you chose. Now, having just come from the excellent Bioshock infinite...perhaps I'm a little spoilt...but the companion dynamic in this game, simply does not work. It's awful. I struggled to pass through an open doorway because Kirk was standing in it, blocking my way. I had to tell him to move. Ridiculous in this day and age. If you or your partner are injured, the other will revive you, the problem is that the AI is so bad that the second they revive you, they will be injured themselves, meaning you then have to revive them. Enemy AI is also shocking - they rarely take cover, and you can often shoot them again and again until they react.

The extremely dodgy and unsatisfying combat is spread out with boring mini-game sessions, which usually involve a 'snake' like clone and matching harmonic signals. Urgh. There's the odd quick time event too.

I was pleased to see the generic 3rd person shooting separated with an Enterprise controlling segment. Sadly, this was merely controlling the phasers. The entire segment was very frustrating and confusing to me, I didn't even know what I was meant to be doing. Very poor.

The voice acting is amazing. Very well acted. Sadly, the facial animations of the characters do not match, and fail miserably in comparison. A real shame. Overall, the graphics range from mediocre to good. There are some nice effects, but some things are extremely below par.

The story seems a good one though. I'm quite a bit in, and that's why I'm still playing. Otherwise, I'd have jibbed this off a while ago.

Maybe I was expecting too much, but this Trekkie is not impressed. It's definitely a phaser malfunction of a game.

Is modern star trek not a load of full on all action nonsense anyway? It's such a wasted licence when it comes to games. Someone should do a huge space exploration rpg that's very light on combat.

Comment

As a Trekkie, there have been some great games over the years...along with the god awful ones too...

My favourite is Star Trek Bridge Commander on the PC.
      - with the many community created mods, this game is still amazing today. Graphics, gameplay...everything. No other game has come close to making you feel you are captain of a Star Trek starship. Great fun.

Star Trek Legacy on the 360 was fun. But it was basically a cut down version of Bridge Commander. Nice story though, great for fans.

Star Trek Armada series was seriously brilliant. Real time strategy in the Star Trek universe. Loads of mods, adding 100's of different ships and scenarios. Brilliant.

Star Trek Birth of the Federation was also great. Basically Civilization in the world of Trek. But a lot of missing features.

At the time, Star Trek Voyager Elite Force was a great First person shooter.

Going further back...Star Trek the Next Generation: Future's Past on the SNES was brilliant. Action, puzzles and story. Great stuff. Especially for the time.

On the PC, Star Trek The Next Generation: A Final Unity was the game that got me into PC gaming. Really good story. Point a click adventure with starship action thrown in between.

They're my favourites anyway.

Comment

What's that Star Trek PC FPS?

There's a great level where you go into a original series style Enterprise that's been caught in an asteroid field for decades.

All the doors made the classic "swish" sound. It was totally indulgent of the developers!

Comment

Wasn't that Elite Force 2?

Comment

Star Trek Online in that bad either, considering ts free to play now.

Im not really big into Star Trek or anything, but on the whole the games have been pretty good I would say.

Apparently this is not good though.

Comment

Fully completed this game now. Well, I did it with Spock. Not going to go back to it again just yet.

I will say it does get better.

I can see what they were trying to do...but sadly their engine and AI lets them down.

It has lots of nice touches, but on the whole it is boring and repetitive. Especially the mini-games.

The major plus point was the voice acting and the story...which makes it worth it for the Star Trek fan or if anyone wants a link between the 1st and 2nd film.

Overall, not recommended unless you're a Trekkie.

Comment

Is it worth playing as a build up to the new film then?

Comment

Really hesitant to say yes. Maybe to get you into the mood and back into the characters...but as a game...no. It's too boring and frustrating. I mean, the AI really is mediocre, I can't stress that enough. I definitely would not buy it unless you want the game as a collector.

Comment

Working...
                  X