Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
    Sad news about Ray Clemence who has just died after a long struggle with cancer.

Great servant to Spurs, Liverpool and, of course, England.

I saw him play at old Wembley several times when he and Peter Shilton were vying for the same job. Arguably at his best the number one goalkeeper in the world.
    I missed out on seeing him in the flesh as I was only 7 when he played his last match for Spurs, but he always featured prominently whenever I read about / watched stuff about / heard stories about our teams from the early to mid 80s. Really sad news.

Comment

That's what I'd call a great result. 2-0 against MC and now leading the Premiership, although we could be overtaken by Leicester. But they have a hard one against Liverpool so so we could end up on top for a week at least.

Good times if we can keep this sort of form going.

Comment

Yes! The same scoreline as the home match last season, but a far better performance. Last season was a real smash and grab, having to ride our luck as City spurned loads of big chances, then taking advantage when they went down to ten men.

This time it was so much more controlled and tactically astute; loads of possession for City again but we marshalled them superbly. Lloris had very little to do and it wasn’t until the 90th minute that he had to pull off a great save to keep our clean sheet intact. In the second half especially it looked and felt like Man City just weren’t going to be able to find a way through. True, not many chances for us, but we took advantage of what we did have and scored two lovely goals. A well deserved win.

Not as spectacular, but as enjoyable and as satisfying as a thrashing, in its own way. A perfectly executed game plan with every single player working their socks off. The definition of a team performance.

The only downer was the injury to Toby, who looks like he might be out for a while. Big chance for Joe Rodon to step up and show he’s good enough for the Premier League. He can’t play in the Europa, so I’d expect him to play in the PL while Sanchez fills in in Europe (especially as Rodon has been on the bench ahead of Sanchez in the past few matches). It’d be a real baptism of fire considering who we’re playing over the next several matches.

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
        That's what I'd call a great result. 2-0 against MC and now leading the Premiership, although we could be overtaken by Leicester. But they have a hard one against Liverpool so so we could end up on top for a week at least.
        Yup, hopefully that’ll be a draw so we can gain a couple of points on both and stay top. Massive match next week with the trip to Chelsea.
        Last edited by EJG1980; 21-11-2020, 21:54.

Comment

Fun night for the Foxes in Europa, looks like Spurs have it a bit smoother!
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Yeah, I can’t remember the last time we had such an easy match, it was more like a training session. Literally not a single shot from Ludogorets all night. I think maybe we’d have scored more if the opposition had given us a bit more trouble and pushed our players to do more.

Good night though, get some more fitness into players like Bale, Tanganga back from injury, first couple of goals for the club for Vinicius (who was very impressive with his all around game), nice cameos from the youngsters who came on for the final fifteen minutes (a goal for Scarlet or White, who both went close, would have been icing on the cake).

And, even if he admitted he didn’t mean it in his post match interview, a fifty five yard wonder goal from Harry Winks

Comment

Just finished watching the highlights - looked like a walk in the park. One wonders how some of these clubs qualify for the Europa League.

Loved the Winks goal and DA appeared to have a good game too, very unselfish supplying the new guy for his second goal.

Comment

Tough match, a good away point. I think we could have won it if we'd carried on playing as we were in the first half, as our counter-attacking was looking really good and I thought we were looking the more likely to take the lead.

For some reason though that completely vanished in the second half and we just couldn't get our counter attacks going at all, kept misplacing passes. Chelsea were the better side and had us under a lot of pressure, though without creating many scary moments. Lloris only had to make one big save from a long range shot, but otherwise had little to do. I think a draw was a fair enough result in the end.

Could have lost it and won it right at the death. First Joe Rodon undercooking a backpass header to Lloris which Giroud intercepted, but thankfully he chipped a tame effort straight to Lloris. Then afterwards a Chelsea defender plays the ball straight to Lucas in a really dangerous position, he picked out Lo Celso, but he uncharacteristically played a poor chipped ball that went straight out of play. Would have been lovely to nick it right at the death.

Happy with taking a point though, another match in our tough run out of the way and still top of the league, can't complain about that

I thought Joe Rodon had a very good debut (well, first start) given the circumstances, even if he was lucky to get away with his mistake at the end (and I think there was one other mistake in the build up to the correctly ruled out Chelsea 'goal' in the first half).

That shouldn't distract from an otherwise very good performance where he didn't look out of place at all and defended very well. He was really thrown in at the deep end: first ever top flight start, replacing a player as good as Toby, away to local rivals, chance to go top of the league by avoiding defeat, and he coped very very well for 98% of the match.

Edit: Arsenal up next in the league, and we can't afford to underestimate them despite their poor form, you wouldn't bet against them raising their game when they play us. Hopefully the squad players can see us qualify for the knockout stages in Europe in midweek, so our best players can have a full week of rest before the derby.
                Last edited by EJG1980; 29-11-2020, 21:45.

Comment

Yikes, I didn't realise the Raul Jimenez injury last night (I didn't catch the match until after he'd gone off) was so serious. Just saw a tweet from Spurs wishing him well following surgery and then found out it was surgery to fix a fractured skull! Hopefully he'll make a full recovery, but head injuries are always a worry, especially thinking back to what happened to Ryan Mason.

Football is crap when it comes to head injuries though, any clash of heads like the one last night between Luiz and Jimenez should lead to both players being subbed, even if they say they "feel okay" on the pitch. No way Luiz should have carried on until half time. Make it so that a head injury sub doesn't count towards your normal three subs. It's too risky not to be ultra cautious about it.

Comment

Yeah, Alan Shearer was getting very heated about head injuries on MotD yesterday. Very much agree, the days when the likes of Terry Butcher's head injury for England against Sweden when he ended up looking like some Napoleonic battlefield casualty should be long gone.

England captain Terry Butcher says people still regularly ask him about his head injury from 1989 which left him covered in blood.

Fair result yesterday; chance to win by both sides, Chelsea better in the second half but you never thought they were going to score unless a Spurs player made a mistake.

Top of the league still, if only on goal difference.

Comment

We made that comment during the match, Luiz was doing his best Butcher impression...
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Wow, what a wonderful draw in the FA Cup third round! A team from the eighth tier of English football hosting a top premier league side; an occasion where the phrase “magic of the FA Cup” is well and truly apt. Really, really looking forward to this.

And I’ve got a sneaky feeling it might just be picked for TV coverage

Comment

I was sort of disappointed for them, all the minnows who got home games, when I watched the draw live. Great to get a top PL club but how much better for them in so many ways if Marine been playing at Spurs, in the new stadium. What an experience that would be.

Depending on the regulations they may also have been able to bring down far more supporters than will even be allowed at their own ground in total.

Still the magic of the cup doesn't get any better than this wherever the game is played.

Comment

I just had a look and away fans still aren't allowed under the new tiers system, so I think the home draw is better for them in the current circumstances.

Definitely would have been better for them to be drawn away in normal times though. To play in one of the world's best stadiums, could have brought just over 9,000 fans down with them (if they have that many, their allocation would be triple the capacity of their own stadium!) and would have got a huge wedge from the share of the gate receipts.

Still, at least their fans who are lucky enough to get a ticket for the home match will have an amazing story to tell in the future, the day the likes of Kane, Son, Bale, etc., came to town. And they should at least get a decent amount of money from the match being televised (I'd be flabbergasted if it isn't picked for TV).

Comment

Well that was an... interesting match! Really poor in the first half, we were bailed (ho ho ho) out with the penalty at the end of the half, could have easily been a couple down before that.

We improved in the second half, but it was still nothing amazing, but managed to take the lead, should have gone 3-1 up, then let them back in it for 2-2, got another penalty for what should have been the winner and then concede a long range wonder strike to finish it off at 3-3! Can't say LASK didn't deserve something from the match, we were well well below par, but at least we got the point that means we've qualified.

Whether we won or drew tonight actually made no difference in the end too; Antwerp's win against Ludogorets meant that even if we'd won tonight, we'd still have needed a win against Antwerp next week to top the group.

Comment

That'll do nicely. Two brilliant goals from Son and Kane (set up by Kane and Son ), another clean sheet, a second North London derby win in a row, and back to the top of the league.

First half was excellent, happily let Arsenal have the ball while they do very little with it, then pick them off on the counter when they over-commit going forwards. Second half wasn't as good as we lost our attacking rhythm, and for the first ten minutes or so it looked like Arsenal might try and make a fight of it, but it was soon back to the "keep the ball all you want, you're not doing anything dangerous with it" routine. One half decent save for Lloris to make, otherwise we saw out the match comfortably.

I think if Ndombele hadn't picked up a slight knock and had been available, we could have done our usual Ndombele / Lo Celso switcheroo in the second half and his skill and creativity would have helped us re-ignite our counter attacking. I hope it is a minor knock and he's back in the next match, as he's been getting better and better this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X