No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed excellent result and excellent goals yesterday.

Amazed Arsenal were not better set up to deal with Spurs as it seems to be Mourinho's go to strategy against potentially difficult opposition: strong, disciplined defending and lightening fast counter attacks. I just hope he has some more ideas up his sleeve when that system doesn't work because eventually the best teams are going to use tactics to nullify it.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 08-12-2020, 12:06. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
      Amazed Arsenal were not better set up to deal with Spurs as it seems to be be Mourinho's go to strategy against potentially difficult opposition: strong, disciplined defending and lightening fast counter attacks.
      On Monday night football on Sky earlier they were analysing the Spurs vs Arsenal match and Jamie Carragher was saying the same thing. He was amazed at the way Arsenal played and said it was like Arteta had been on the moon and had no knowledge of how Mourinho (or Spurs currently) set up.

I just hope he has some more ideas up his sleeve when that system doesn't work because eventually the best teams are going to use tactics to nullify it.
      I think he will. The result didn’t go our way because of a rare unlucky day in terms of finishing and an inspired game from the opposition keeper (and that ridiculous last minute “handball” penalty) but we did play very differently against Newcastle earlier this season. Had loads of the ball with 66% possession, 23 shots, 12 on target, the opposite of our usual counter attacking style.

All Jose cares about is getting the win, so I’ve no doubt he’ll use whatever tactics he thinks give us the best chance of getting a result in any given game.

Comment

The FA Cup match vs Marine is, as expected, going to be shown live on TV. Sunday 10th January, 5PM, BBC One. Should be fun!

I've been meaning to mention this for ages but keep forgetting, so I'm getting it in early today Spurs are doing pre and post match shows on YouTube, called N17 Live, for each home match (although they don't do the post match shows for EL matches).

I wasn't expecting it to be that good when I first watched it but it's actually half decent, especially when they have a good guest on; they had Michael Dawson in the studio for the Arsenal match at the weekend. Alex Morgan from the women's team and Michel Vorm are the guests tonight.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it was of interest.

Alex Morgan joins Ben Haines in the studio and Michel Vorm is live on Zoom as we build up to Tottenham Hotspur's final game of the UEFA Europa League group s...

Edit: straightforward win last night, top of the group and seeded for the knockout stage draw, job done. Pedestrian first half while still being well on top, but more energy in the second, especially once the triple sub of Kane, Son and Ndombele came on (unsurprisingly). One off target shot from Antwerp all match, a night where Joe Hart could have got the deckchair out.

Beautiful free kick from Bale leading to our opener, and while it would have been nice if it'd gone straight in, Vinicius getting the rebound is good as it's another goal to help him build up his confidence. Three goals and three assists from him in the group stage, a very good return for a backup striker who's still settling in to a new country. He'll play his part this season.

Then a Lovely little goal from Lo Celso to wrap things up, he was excellent all night and clear man of the match. Him and Ndombele both in good form and getting fully fit can only be good for the team.

Draw for the next round on Monday, I think.
        Last edited by EJG1980; 11-12-2020, 09:47.

Comment

Just going to look for highlights of the match. Good result and an encouraging end to the first part of the competition.

I'll be looking forward to the Marine match whether broadcast or not. It'll be a pity if its a real drubbing but I sincerely hope Spurs do not put out a C team and give some of their big stars a decent amount of pitch time. That would be in the best spirit of the FA Cup and the way of rewarding and showing Marine respect even if they end up losing 6-0.

Comment

Disappointing to not get all three points today after the results went for us yesterday with Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City all dropping points. Can't win every match but after being on top and taking the lead, it was definitely more two points dropped than one gained.

Really good first half, played well, created good chances, forced their keeping into some very good saves, deservedly took the lead (even if their keeper will be disappointed he let that one in). Started the second half on top as well but from about the 55/60th minute up until they got their equaliser, Palace were well on top and deserved to draw level. It wasn't like the Man City or Arsenal games, where we let the opposition have the ball but were still controlling the match, Palace were in charge.

Still could have won it at the end though with three big chances: Ben Davies miss-hit (I assume!) cross that the keeper just touched onto the bar, a Kane header than forced a superb save from their keeper, then another amazing save from an excellent Eric Dier free kick. I suppose that over the whole match you could argue we should have won, as their keeper has had to make four or five top class saves, but we paid for being poor for a big chunk of the second half.

As Jose has said though, it's a long season, we will have off days where we draw or lose, just gotta make sure they're as rare as possible. Luckily we have a nice easy match coming up on Wednesday to get back to winning ways in

Edit: wow, well played Fulham. Wasn’t expecting to still be top this evening! Extremely tight at the top end of the table though, especially if Leicester get the win this evening.
            Last edited by EJG1980; 13-12-2020, 18:33.

Comment

Yep, still top. Crystal Palace played very well but we still could (should?) have won it. Their goalkeeper made some top class saves which kept them in it. Lloris then makes one unfortunate mistake and we drop two points.

Very tight at the top so the Liverpool game on Wednesday is going to be even more important than it would have been if we'd beaten Crystal Palace.

Comment

We're up against Wolfsberger of Austria in the first knock-out round of the Europa League.

I had a momentary blip where I thought "Wolfsburg? Blimey, that's unexpectedly toug... ohhhh, WolfsbergER!"

Comment

I thought they'd made a mistake too; never heard of Austrian side Wolfberger before but hopefully that's a good thing.

Comment

I thought they'd made a mistake too; never heard of Austrian side Wolfberger before but hopefully that's a good thing.
                    Me either, which is not surprising as they hadn't even played in the Austrian top flight before the 2012/13 season. They were the lowest ranked team left in the competition that we could meet, so on paper we couldn't have asked for a better draw.

However they have had some decent results in the past couple of years. They had a 4-0 away win over Borussia Mönchengladbach last season and a couple of draws with Roma, even if they did finish bottom of their group in the end, and this season they beat Feyenoord twice in the groups on the way to finishing second.

So it'd definitely be a big shock if we don't go through, but they look to have enough about them to cause us problems if we don't take it seriously.
                    Last edited by EJG1980; 15-12-2020, 09:22.

Comment

Gah, so close to what would have been an excellent point.

We were quite lucky to go in level at half time, Liverpool well on top for the whole of the first half save for our one excellent breakaway where Son got his goal. Liverpool had quite a few chances but luckily they shot straight at Lloris nearly every time, another day we might not have been so lucky.

Much better from us in the second half and we had some great chances to go ahead: two identical chances for Steven Bergwijn where he put the first one wide and the second one onto the post. Kane had a brilliant chance with a header from a corner but he headed it into the ground too sharply and it bounced up and over. One more chance for Kane after that he curled wide from the edge of the box. Fine margins.

One big scare at the other end when Mane hit the bar but we defended very well apart from that, right up until the heartbreak at the end. Great header from Firmino though.

Ah well, no disgrace in narrowly losing to the champions who haven’t lost at home for about three years, and I was happy with the way we played in the second half. Still second in the league, only three points off the top, and a long way to go in the title race. Another tough match against Leicester at the weekend, hopefully it can be the start of another good run of results.

Comment

Exactly what I was going to say about the Liverpool match. Fine margins.

Other results went for us with Leicester and Chelsea losing as well as Southampton drawing. Looking at MU as well - two games in hand and if they win both they'll go into second place.

Comment

Was hoping we'd bounce back from the Liverpool loss with a good performance, but unfortunately we went the opposite way. Probably the worst we've played since that opening day defeat against Everton, Leicester were the better side for the whole 90 minutes and fully deserved the win.

A bruising week for us with the Palace, Liverpool and Leicester results. There are always going to be periods where things don't go your way, so it's up to the team now to show the fight needed to get back on track asap.

Comment

Spurs played much better against Liverpool, indeed they were quite Erik Dier against us, I was quite surprised. Maybe the Liverpool loss knocked some of the stuffing out of you?
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              Spurs played much better against Liverpool, indeed they were quite Erik Dier against us, I was quite surprised. Maybe the Liverpool loss knocked some of the stuffing out of you?
                              It could be, but equally we may have simply had a random off day for no real reason, impossible to tell either way.

All of the teams trying to challenge Liverpool have had iffy moments where a good run of results have suddenly been halted by unexpected dropped points. Nobody has been able to be fully consistent enough to break away from that big pack of teams behind Liverpool. We could be down to 7th or 8th if the teams behind us win their games in hand, having being 1st a couple of weeks ago, yet we’d still only be two points behind 2nd! It’s crazily tight.

Evidently Mourinho wasn’t impressed with what he saw today. Normally they do the post-match analysis the morning after at the training ground, but there are reports that Jose has made the players and staff stay behind at the stadium to do the post-match analysis straight away this evening, such was his anger at the performance.

Comment

Very disappointing - Leicester throttled the HK/Son goal threat, a bad challenge by Aurier and an unfortunate OG and we end up with one point out of nine for the last three matches.

We always have these off periods but often they seem to come at just the wrong time when Spurs desperately needed to keep in contact with the lead teams. They get away and we're playing catch-up for the rest of the season.

As said MU are right up there now with their 6-2 win against Leeds and a game in hand. MC and Chelsea, again both with a game in hand, will also leapfrog Spurs if they win them putting us down to seventh place.

Comment

Working...
                                X