No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, Brighton played much nicer football, created more and better chances, and (although I was too far away to see it in the stadium) all reports say they should have had a penalty too. We had some occasional nice moments of football but for the most part it was bumble or hoof the ball to Kane or Son and hope for some magic from them. A fortuitous win, but you take ‘em all day long!

Son’s strike was magnificent though. There are goals where you know it’s going in the instant the player hits it, this one almost made you think “this is a goal” as soon as he got the ball and started running. Very fitting for his 100th Premier League goal.

There were a couple of times in the second half (the first right after the managers were sent off) when there were very loud chants for Mauricio Pochettino. I do wonder if something like that affects the thinking of the board when it comes to appointing the new manager.

Comment

Bloody hell

Oh well, at least I got to see Jurgen Klinsmann interviewed at half time!

Edit: just to add that I was really upset with our fans today for booing Sanchez after his mistake for the second goal. I get there’s a lot of frustration with things at the mo, but you should never be booing your own players for making a mistake, or because you think they’re not good enough. Made me a bit sad that our fans would do that.
      Last edited by EJG1980; 15-04-2023, 20:17.

Comment

Agreed but I doubt he'll be here next season.

Lousy to lose a game we should at least have drawn but who knows we'll probably cream Newcastle, MU and Liverpool just to prove we're the most unpredictable side in the Premiership.

Pity there isn't some reward for that.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
          Lousy to lose a game we should at least have drawn but who knows we'll probably cream Newcastle, MU and Liverpool just to prove we're the most unpredictable side in the Premiership.
          It's the hope that kills you

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
            ...and then this morning FIFA announced that our Director of Football's ban from working in Italian football has now been upgraded to a full worldwide ban....
            Lost his appeal against the ban yesterday, resigned from the club this morning:

Yesterday - 20 April 2023 - Fabio Paratici was unsuccessful with an appeal against his Italian Football Federation (FIGC) ban on certain football related activities.

The director of football is supposed to be the one in charge of appointing the head coach/manager, so are we now searching for a new DOF before we appoint a new manager? Ditching the DOF model? Or appointing a manager first and then appointing a DOF who likes that manager?

Comment

Started well up at Newcastle

Edit: bloody hell.

Edit: 5-0 after twenty minutes. I’ve never seen anything like it (and that’s saying something being a Spurs fan).

Edit: 5-1 just after half time, the fight back in on!

Edit: 6-1 in the end. So, lost the first 20 minutes 5-0, but drew the second 70 minutes 1-1, result!

Flippin' 'eck

With Man Utd and Liverpool up next, and the form of teams just behind us, we could very quickly be down to 8th/9th in the table and be in an almighty scrap to finish in any kind of European spot at all.
              Last edited by EJG1980; 23-04-2023, 15:07.

Comment

Just what I was going to post too.

No idea what went wrong except half the team seemed not to be up for it. Embarrassing and worrying.

Comment

"Dear All,

Sunday’s performance against Newcastle was wholly unacceptable. It was devastating to see. We can look at many reasons why it happened and whilst myself, the Board, the coaches and players must all take collective responsibility, ultimately the responsibility is mine.

Cristian will leave his current role along with his coaching staff. Cristian stepped in at a difficult point in our season and I want to thank him for the professional manner in which he and his coaching staff have conducted themselves during such a challenging time. We wish him and his staff well.

Ryan Mason will take over Head Coach duties with immediate effect. Ryan knows the Club and the players well. We shall update further on his coaching staff in due course.

I met with the Player Committee today - the squad is determined to pull together to ensure the strongest possible finish to the season. We are all clear we need to deliver performances which earn your amazing support.

COYS, Daniel"

Well that's a new one, I don't think we've ever sacked a manager before, replaced him with a interim manager who's only there to oversee the final ten matches of the season, and then sacked the interim too after just a few matches!

So now Ryan Mason is what, the interim interim manager?

Oh, and in the middle of all that, our Director of Football had to resign from the club due to being banned from working in football due to improprieties at his previous club.

I'm still fully expecting us to to finish somewhere between 6th and 9th, but the true pièce de résistance to top this story off would be for us to now win all six remaining matches and somehow end up in a Champions League qualification spot.

Comment

Well done Spurs, could have suffered another demoralising defeat tonight after going in 2-0 down at half time, but the players upped their game in the second half and really fought hard and played well to get a very deserved point.

I don't think we were terrible in the first half, you could see they were trying and we created a couple of decent chances, had moments where a better final ball would have created a great chance, but there were silly mistakes, needless giving the ball away, etc., that let us down. We pretty much cut that all out in the second half.

I thought it might end up being one of those nights where we made a spirited comeback but not quite enough to get a point, as we missed some really big chances (the Eric Dier header was a real "WTF! How is it not in the back of the net????" moment) but thankfully we didn't let the missed chances get us down and we got our reward in the end.

Would have been nice to fully complete the turnaround but even a draw didn't look likely at half time, so I'll gladly take it. Hopefully it's something we can build on over the final few matches of the season. Liverpool away will be a tough one though.

Comment

Just watched the highlights - good stuff in the second half and I think over all a fair result.

The Porro goal I really liked - not really distinguished himself since he arrived but that's the sort of thing he was bought in to do.

Indeed how Eric Dier missed that header = incredible, but again good to see him up there in a goal scoring position during open play and not just at set pieces.

Comment

Likewise how Fernandes hit the bar too.
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          Likewise how Fernandes hit the bar too.
                          Yup, that was our one big let off in the second half, only about a minute after we'd scored too so it would have been a real blow. Definitely a chance that Fernandes would score 9 times out of 10.

The only other nervy moment after that that I can remember was the Casemiro header right at the death (which was more a "he should have got that on target" rather than a "he should have scored" chance) while we passed a few good chances to equalise before we actually did. Overall we definitely deserved to "win" the second half, and the draw was a fair result for the whole 90 minutes.

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                          The Porro goal I really liked - not really distinguished himself since he arrived but that's the sort of thing he was bought in to do.
                          Yeah it was a fantastic finish, very calm and composed, and an outside of the boot finish is always nice to see.

I feel a little bit sorry for Porro as he's really been thrown in at the deep end with his move to Spurs. In the three months he's been here he came in with the team in iffy form, the manager that signed him did a massive rant in the media and got sacked, the interim manager then also got sacked after four matches so he's now working under a third manager in three months, and there's fan unhappiness and unrest in the stands. Moving to a new country and new league can be a challenge even in normal times, let alone with all that going on!

He's definitely got very good attacking qualities: the goal last night, another good goal in the infamous Southampton match, excellent cross to assist Kane against Forest, he's got a lot of skill and quality. Hopefully with a new manager, some stability and a normal atmosphere at the club again, he'll be able to get some consistency and show that he's a very good player.

Comment

Get your chequebooks out lads, time for another refund. How do you go from the humiliation against Newcastle, to the spirited fight back against Man Utd, straight back to another shambles?

Still, 3-0 after 20 minutes is better than 5-0 after 20 minutes, so we’re making progress

Liverpool getting sloppy and complacent in the last few minutes and Kane grabs one back. Gah, and now Kulusevski through one on one and hits it straight at the keeper! Would have put the cat amongst the pigeons if we’d got it back to 3-2 out of nowhere.

Gah, Son and Romero both hit the post within a minute

Get in Sonny! 15 minutes to try and get something!

Oh Lucas, Lucas, Lucas, Lucas. 3-0 down to 3-3 with an injury time equaliser and then he does that

Brilliant effort to come back after the awful opening 15 minutes (although for about the 400th time this season I'll ask why can't we start playing BEFORE we go behind) but yet again an avoidable individual error costs us. I think I need to lie down in a dark room for a week after the ending of that match.
                            Last edited by EJG1980; 30-04-2023, 17:34.

Comment

WTF was that all about? Nothing but embarrassingly mediocre in the first half and letting in three goals. More embarrassment looking likely and then midway through the second half Spurs wake up and start looking dangerous.

Appeared we'd salvaged a point in late extra time and then we're hit with an embarrassing sucker punch winner.

Bonkers game, disappointing result.

EDIT
                              I think I need to lie down in a dark room for a week after the ending of that match.
                              Just tried lying down in a dark room for 5 minutes. It didn't work; I'm still feeling retrospectively angry and annoyed. Pretty much ruined my mood on this Bank Holiday weekend. I'll need Monday just to recover.
                              Last edited by fallenangle; 30-04-2023, 18:16. Reason: bitter dissappointment

Comment

Yesterday gave me a flashback to when I was a kid, late 1994, we took my younger brother to his football practice which was happening at the same time as Gerry Francis' first match in charge of Spurs, a home match against Aston Villa.

Listening to it on the car radio we heard that we were already 0-3 down early on. Later on, not long before the end of the practice, someone told us that Spurs had got it back to 3-3. End of the practice, we get back to the car to drive home, and my dad turns on the radio so we can hear the last couple of minutes of the match. First thing we hear is the commentator saying that Aston Villa have scored a last minute goal to nick it 3-4.

You just gotta love it being a Spurs fan, from child to adult, they're always there for you

Comment

Working...
                                X