No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are plenty of rumours around Spurs in various newspapers including one about Bale being offered ?150,000/week by a European club to try a gazzump his Spurs' deal before it is finalised. Also rumours that Adebayor and Dempsey wil be dumped this summer to make way for Aston Villa's Beneteke and a top class European striker (several names have been floated). I wouldn't be surprised if at least the first part of this is true. Adebayor's mercurial brillliance has been far outweighed by the number of mediocre and bad performances over the season. Dempsey.....well not a complete failure but the guy never looks happy, in any sense.

Comment

Wonder if that European Club is Man U, would certainly make the fans welcome Moyes more if he could pull off that one.

Adebayor needs to leave Spurs yes, but hard to see who will take him and pay a fee and his wages.

Comment

We're playing a friendly against Jamaica in the Bahamas today, which also happens to be the home of Joe Lewis (joint owner of ENIC along with Daniel Levy) and the word is that those two and AVB will be having meetings to set out Spurs' plans for the summer. AVB has said a couple of times in recent interviews that he wants all Spurs' transfer business completed before the first match of the season.

Leaving it to the last minute might mean we get a better price, but too often it has meant we've missed out on targets or disrupted the start of the season by getting them in so late. I think AVB will be impressing upon Levy that it's better for the club if we avoid the last minute drama this time and get our main targets wrapped up ASAP.

That particular Bale story was in the Daily Star, so...

I don't mind if our current strikers stay or go (I would prefer stay to give strength in depth) as long as Adebayor and Defoe aren't first choices next season.

Ade either seems to have a brilliant season or terrible season with no in-between, but you can't predict which it will be. I was hoping it would be different this season but Defoe did his usual thing of scoring a glut of goals for 2-3 months and then drying up for the rest of the season. Both brilliant on their day, but too temperamental / streaky to be reliable first choices.

If we did want to sell Adebayor I don't think it would be that problematic. We only paid ?5 million for him so I doubt we'd demand a massive fee and his wages are far less than he was on at Man City, so a similar sized club to Spurs should be able to offer him what he's currently getting.

Comment

Worringly rumours about AVB being tempted away from Spurs by Paris SG but on the player front it looks like we're going to get Paulinho and, there's talk again, as I mentioned months ago, of Spur's interest in AV's Benteke.

Comment

Luckily the AVB to PSG link is over now. A couple of days ago he told the press that PSG had contacted him but he'd turned them down as he wanted to show loyalty to Spurs after they gave him a chance following his disappointing spell at Chelsea, and, he wants to stay at a club for more than just one season. PSG have appointed Laurent Blanc today so that nips it all in the bud.

Paulinho does look like it's very close to being done, would be a great signing. I can see us moving towards AVB's favoured 4-3-3 system next season with a first choice midfield of Sandro - Paulinho - Dembele.

Very strong rumours that we're making very good progress on a move for David VIlla too. Apparently signing him is currently Franco Baldini's number one priority.

Hopefully we'll get them both but I don't want to count our chickens until they're being paraded in a Spurs shirt! Fingers crossed though.

Edit: Missed the bit about Benteke. I would love him at Spurs, but if I had a choice, I'd rather get Villa right now. I think he could give the club a boost the way Davids did back in 2005; he's won everything there is to win, is Spain's all time leading goalscorer, I think it would be great psychologically for the other players to know that such a proven winner is now playing along side them.

Plus I think Aston Villa will ask for too much money for Benteke
            Last edited by EJG1980; 25-06-2013, 15:51.

Comment

No contest if is just a straight choice, it has to be Villa. I'd like to see both though.

Comment

Looks like Paulinho is definitely on the way, Corinthians have held a press conference and they and he announced that he's leaving and will be joining Spurs.

Últimas notícias do Corinthians, jogos, resultados, escalação, fotos de treinos, futebol feminino, Neo Química Arena, Fiel Torcedor, basquete, futsal, natação, eSports do Timão.

Nothing official from Spurs yet but they may be waiting for him to arrive in England and pass the medical before making any announcement.

A part of me thinks until I see it on the official web site I shouldn't celebrate but it looks pretty much done considering that press conference. Get in David Villa as well and I will need a change of underwear

New kit launches next Monday too.

More Paulinho stuff, in English this time - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...ham?CMP=twt_gu
                Last edited by EJG1980; 01-07-2013, 23:02.

Comment

So Paulinho's having his medical today. I imagine he'll be presented - hopefully alongside another signing (Villa?) - at the launch of the new kit on Monday.

Re: Paulinho, I watched a lot of him last year when Corinthians won the Copa Libertadores - South America's Champions League - and think he is a superb signing.

For his club he has generally played as one of two central midfielders, but with license to get forward as both of their full backs are quite conservative and hold station to cover. He is a lot more active in forward areas at club level than for the national team.

He is strong, good the tackle, hard working and covers a lot of ground. Once he wins the ball he drives forward with pace and power, committing defenders and usually showing good awareness to play the ball on to a free team-mate.

He's basically a super charged Dembele who also makes good off-the-ball forward runs and is strong in the air. He has all the right attributes to succeed in the Premier League, and with him and Sandro in the same midfield, I can't imagine many teams are going to enjoy facing us next season.

As you say, I think his signing probably indicates that we will switch to a 4-3-3 formation next season. Again seen us linked with Pjanic today, which for me would complete the ideal 4-3-3 midfield: a destroyer (Sandro), a passer (Pjanic) and a box-to-boxer (Paulinho). With Holtby and Dembele providing cover for the latter two roles, that would mean keeping one of Huddlestone, Livermore and Parker to cover the deeper role.

Baldini looks to have hit the ground running and these are exciting times at the moment. The potential capture of those two young Croatians is also highly promising. Been a while since we've plucked some good young talent from overseas (Sandro not withstanding).

Comment

The Paulinho signing is an exciting start to the summer and we've got it done (barring anything horrible turning up in the medical) nice and early so he'll have a proper pre-season with the team. Quite satisfying to see grumblings from other fans unhappy that he's gone to Spurs

If we can get a top class striker in reasonably early as well (fingers well and truly crossed for David Villa or someone of similar quality) then our chances of doing well in the upcoming season are looking good.

It's a long shot but I'm hoping for a season ticket offer this summer. There are 500 new ST available this summer and I'm 4,616th on the waiting list, so if only one person in every ten ahead of me on the list accepts when offered... yeah, like I said, long shot! I'm sure that with the current economic circumstances there will be some people who won't be able to afford a ST if offered, but, probably not enough that they'll get as far down on the list as me.

Comment

Done!

That's my weekend off to a good start

Comment

where are the strikers though? I'll be gutted if ade's still there come end of the window (yes i've started already lol)

Comment

According to the newspaper gossip Spurs are trying to get rid of Adebayor, I think the last time I read anything about it there was some Turkish club apparently interested.

Good news about Paulinho signing that's for sure. Just hope he delivers.

Comment

New kits (no third kit yet):

Glad we're back with blue shorts and socks (don't mind all white kits on the odd occasion but it really should be reserved for Europe). Not sure if I like the collar on the home kit or the colour of the away kit, but, in the end, who really gives a toss what the kit looks like as long as we're winning matches?

Edit: Boo, no David Villa for us, he's on his way to Atletico Madrid. I wonder how much we were actually in for him and how much was pure speculation and paper talk? If we were genuinley in for him I think he'd have picked Atl Madrid over us anyway; he gets to stay in Spain and they have Champions League football.

Ah well, never mind, I'm sure there will soon be a new target for speculation and rumours
                            Last edited by EJG1980; 08-07-2013, 20:18.

Comment

David Villa staying in Spain isn't a surprise. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying, on numerous occasions that he didn't want to play in the Premier League. Other European leagues might have been an option but I'm certain he never wanted to come to England.

Comment

I haven't seen those quotes but even without them I'd have thought a Spanish club with European football would have been ahead of us in the queue. The papers and football web sites though, only ever mentioned Spurs and Fiorentina bidding for him, not a mention of Atletico Madrid until the day he signed for them... fingers on the pulse as usual!

The new target for rumour and speculation has arrived though, thanks to Benteke handing in a transfer request to Aston Villa. Already seen one journalist saying that he prefers a move to Chelsea while one at another paper has said that Spurs would be his preferred destination. It's almost as if they make most of it up and hope they get lucky

As I said in a previous post though, I can't see us paying what Aston Villa will want for him. We just broke our transfer record to sign Paulinho for ?17 million, I can't see us breaking it twice in the same summer and stumping up ?25 million ish for Benteke. Unless he's worried about being on the bench too much, we don't stand much chance if a CL club bid for him either.

Comment

Working...
                                X