No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha, yeah, hearing that either Scotland or England are involved in a match doesn't inspire confidence that an amazing spectacle is on the cards

It was bound to happen with the players we've brought in, a couple of outgoings today: Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore have moved to Hull; Tom on a permenant deal and Jake on a season long loan.

I liked Tom, he took a big step up in 2009/10 and had a great season but he hasn't progressed since then (the injuries didn't help) and while I'm sad to see him go I think it's for the best. Fantastic to watch when he's having a good game, especially when given time and space, but too many times he could have a game where he'd give the ball away due to his slowness and misplace simple ten yard passes.

I'll always have a soft spot for him though, played a great part in Spurs history with that 09/10 season, hopefully he can overcome the injuries and play every week at Hull. He should be a fantastic signing for them, their fans seem ecstatic on Hull forums so I really hope he becomes a big hit up there.

Comment

The England v. Scotland was actual a better watch than I expected. Still it was a sad state of affairs with England not being able to stop a clearly inferior team from scoring, twice and nearly losing the match as a result.

Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore going I really can't be too sad about either. The former as I said previously can be fantastic when dsitributing the ball but, as you say, his lethargic style has always been a liability. Livermore I'm surprised hasn't found a first team place, he promised much but doesn't seem to have developed since his early Spurs appearances. Perhaps playing more regularly is what he needs and we'll be able to get him back next season as a more mature and useful player.

Comment

I think I cursed the internationals with my comments, five goals in England vs Scotland that I slagged off, no goals in Belgium vs France

The Etienne Capoue deal is official now. They must have been waiting until after the internationals to finalise it.

Yeah, Livermore got a lot of match time in 2010/11 but didn't really kick on last season. I don't think he'll ever be a great player but he seemed solid and dependable in the appearances he made that year. Last season it looked like Tom Carroll moved above him in the pecking order (which I approve of as I think he's got a lot of potential).

We've used the loans system well though, so as you say, hopefully Jake can come back much improved from it, ala Walker, Naughton and Rose.

With it looking like Parker is on his way too (I hope he goes to Fulham rather than QPR, he should stay in the Premier League) we've done a good job upgrading our midfield options with Capoue and Paulinho replacing them. I'm also hopeful that 3 out 2 in should lead to even more chances this season for Tom Carroll.

Comment

We've just announced a new sponsor for our cup shirts too, AIA have replaced Investec:

Giant red letters... blurgh! I always liked the Investec cup shirts, shame we had to lose them. However, should we manage to with the League Cup, FA Cup or Europa League while wearing that shirt, I think I'll probably come to appreciate it a bit more

Comment

No goals in Belgium, true, but it was a very good match and Belgium was incredibly strong. They should've hammered France.

Comment

Yay, penalty to Spurs and the new guy slotted it in. Good enough start.

Edit: A win and "good enough start" just about sums up the entire game, 3 points and no stupid mistakes.
              Last edited by fallenangle; 18-08-2013, 14:37.

Comment

Tough match, exactly what I expected. Away to a promoted team on the opening day is always a tricky proposition so I'm very happy with the three points. As Vertonghen said after the match though, we need to score more goals to make the end of matches less tense

Good start though, happy with that, looking forward to the first home match against Swansea!

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                Edit: A win and "good enough start" just about sums up the entire game, 3 points and no stupid mistakes.
                Yup, a relatively fuss free three points, no injuries, new players slotting in well and some promising signs for the future. I'd take that on the opening day every single season!
                Last edited by EJG1980; 18-08-2013, 15:15.

Comment

Scott Parker has been sold to Fulham. He was fantastic in his first season for us but he didn't look the same player once he'd returned from the injury he picked up at Euro 2012.

Glad he stayed in the Premier League and opted for Fulham over QPR (we supposedly accepted bids from both). He'll be great for them if he can get back to his pre-Euro 2012 form. Nice little contingent of ex-Spurs players and manager down at the Cottage now.

Comment

Yes, I read about Scott Parker going yesterday but was too annoyed to post. I think his sale is a big mistake at this time unless they're bringing in somebody else younger to do the same job he did. The Spurs back line and lack of squad quality in depth in those positions demands a hard working sweeper type, defensive minded midfielder operating in front of the back four. If they're going to get somebody in to do that, fine, if they're going to spend on some quality defenders, fine, but otherwise I think the vital contribution he can make due to his work rate, commitment and effectiveness in that role will be greatly missed.. .

After watching Chelsea against Hull on MotD heaven help Spurs if they come up against Chelsea in their current early season form. They'll rip our present uncertain defensive formation to shreds with Frank Lampard, over three years older than Scott Parker, leading the charge.
                    Last edited by fallenangle; 21-08-2013, 02:44.

Comment

Just my opinion but I disagree. I thought the Sandro & Dembele partnership was looking very good last season and when Sandro got injured the Parker & Dembele combo was a drop in quality in my eyes.

I see Capoue as the Parker replacement. Although it was only a 35 minute appearance against Palace I thought he broke up the opposition play / intercepted balls / closed down the opposition very well, but also had more quality on the ball going forward than Parker offered.

I loved Parker, a brilliant pro and seemed like a thoroughly decent bloke, but with the midfield options we now have I've got no problem with letting him go. I don't think he'd have got into the starting eleven very often this season.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
                        Chadli is another brilliant Belgian player. And you should check out Zakaria Bakkali from PSV, he's like a Chadli 2.0 but only 17 yrs old or so.
                        Was hoping to check out Bakkali in the PSV vs Milan match tonight but he's out injured

It's been a great match though, very entertaining viewing.
                        Last edited by EJG1980; 20-08-2013, 20:33.

Comment

Sounds like you're close to snapping up Willian too, you've certainly laid out some cash this summer.

Comment

Would be a great signing, adding a good dose of creativity to the side. Looking at his stats he seems to be an assist machine and now we've got Soldado up front to stick chances away... exciting times, but, I won't let myself get too worked up until I see an official announcement from the club. Be nice for AVB to finally get him too, tried to sign him for Chelsea and in both transfer windows for us last season.

Comment

I was getting worried as I couldn't see it listed anywhere this week, but ITV announced today that our Europa League match against Tblisi will be on ITV4 tomorrow, kick off at 5PM.

Comment

Willian was one of the best players of the last CL group phase. A shame he transferred to Anzhi during the winter. Luckily Anzhi is kaput, and most of those players join actual football clubs in actual leagues.

Comment

Working...
                                X