No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was an end to end game, and I have to say that over the 90 minutes, there were quite a few periods of the game where Anderlecht were the better side. I think they'll be pretty unhappy to not have at least got a point out of the match (I know I would be if Spurs had played that well away from home). But when we were on top we played some good football and you can't argue with the quality of our goals, lovely build up play and great finishes from Kane and especially Dembele. Very important to get the win last night and that's what we did.

Yup, massive game against Arsenal on Sunday. Win and we're only two points behind them, right up at the business end of the table, and have some real momentum going into the international break. Lose and we're eight points behind them! We can definitely go there and get a positive result; we're on a very good run, more and more players coming into good form, and fingers crossed Arsenal react badly to the events in Munich. Gonna be a looooong wait until 4PM on Sunday

Comment

I'd have been happy with a draw before kick off, but after being clearly the better side for a good 80% of the match... definitely two points dropped. I'm sure if we could have got a second goal we'd have won the match but, alas, not to be.

Still, loads to be positive about. Solid at the back for the majority of the game (aside from the inevitable wobble that came when they got the equaliser and had their tails up) and dominated the midfield with a 19 and 21 year old. We played some slick football going forwards too, the only thing missing was the attack fashioning a few more clear cut chances. They all worked their socks off, despite having played on Monday and Thursday, everyone pressing and harrying Arsenal all over the pitch. Whatever Poch's fitness regime is, it works wonders.

As Gary Neville said, Spurs were the better side and Arsenal will be very happy with a point. So, disappointing to have one point instead of three, but we are definitely heading in the right direction and the future is looking bright. Keep playing like that and putting in the hard work each week and we can have a really good season. COYS!
      Last edited by EJG1980; 08-11-2015, 17:22.

Comment

After Spurs dominated most of the first half and scored I couldn't listen to the rest on the radio. It was all going too well.

I was expecting to hear we'd lost due defensive errors or bad luck so when I heard the final score I was still pretty happy. Then I saw the MotD highlights and it just confirmed everything you've said. An excellent performance all round except we didn't put away the other good chances we had. Definitely two points we could have had with a bit more ruthlessness in front of goal.

But still a decent result and proving that they can play that well has to be good for the team's confidence.

Comment

Sounding mighty good today. Still time to give away a goal or two but only if we make some very silly mistakes. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Well, that was fairly enjoyable

Top notch performance. First twenty minutes we were in charge without being too threatening, but once we got the first goal we really steamrollered them and it could have been a lot more than four had it not been for some good saves and the intervention of the woodwork for Alli and Mason. A few occasions as well where Kane shot when a pass would have been the better option, but you expect that from a striker in hot form chasing a hat-trick.

Solid at the back throughout the game, they only had three real chances I can remember; their shot that hit the bar which was no fault of the defence as the bloke was about a mile offside, a header from a corner they could have done better with, and the consolation goal at the end. None of their other shots were any cause for worry, just speculative pot shots. A shame Walker's mistake gifted away our clean sheet, but his form has been really improved this season so I don't want to criticise one mishap too much.

Once again the pressing from the whole team was brilliant. West Ham just couldn't get anything going as a Spurs player was in their face and hassling them as soon as any of their players received the ball. With Lamela out I was wondering if Son would match his workrate, tracking back and tackling... seeing him chase a player all the way back to the corner flag, keep him them, and win a goal kick, when we were already 3-0 up, answered that question.

Hopefully we can put in a similar performance against Chelsea next weekend. They may be in poor form but they've got so many good players in their side that they could easily just happen to click on the day and win the match, so we've gotta make sure we take nothing for granted and keep putting in the hard graft. To get seven points from nine against Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea would be excellent, so fingers crossed.

Quick mention for Dembele: he's been phenomenal since returning from his early season injury. Dier and Alli are (rightly) getting the plaudits because they're young and English, but Dembele has possibly been even better in our midfield. I've always adored and been frustrated in equal measure by Dembele in the past. Never any doubt about the strength and skill he has, but he often didn't seem to be quite up for it mentally and matches you know he could have bossed have just passed him by.

I think that's why he struggled to get in the side under Poch last season; he wants players to marry their skill with non-stop work and effort for the team. This season though, the penny seems to have dropped and Dembele is combining his dazzling ability to hold off three players and waltz past them as if they weren't there with a superb mentality and work ethic. He's bossing games and is a joy to watch at the moment, in this kind of form he's undroppable.

Comment

It all looked really good on MotD although moost of the first 20 minutes was skated over. Once they started scoring Spurs really didn't look like they were going to lose.

Agree about Dembele, Jermaine Jenas, was singing his praises on BBC5 Live Sports during and after the match. Poch has given him the chance, he looks fitter and, as you say, an apparently much better attitude, too. Key players all coming good at the same time and we're getting the rewards for that.

Shame Andros Townsend seems to have been sidelined from the current first choice formation. There appears to be more talk about him being leaving in the January window.

The Chelsea game could be very interesting and although I suspect the pundits will be bigging up Spurs after yesterday's performance unless Chelsea are phenomenally poor I won't be surprised whatever the result, good or bad.

Comment

Job done against Qarabag, safely through to the next round. They were a really tough nut to crack (though we did create a number of good chances as the game wore on) so I think Poch was justified in picking a very strong team to maximise our chances of getting the job done tonight. If we hadn't won, qualification would have been hanging in the balance, but now we can afford to rest players against Monaco during what will be a very hectic December schedule.

Comment

From the highlights I saw it looked to be as though Spurs were not playing at full throttle because the opposition weren't that dangerous, just a bit tough defensively. With half an eye on the Chelsea game Spurs seemed to be controlling the pace deliberately, slowing it down when necessary, keeping their shape and concentration and eventually one of their several good chances went in. A professional job but as with any 1-0 scoreline the opposition could have spoilt the party. They didn't and Spurs are through to the next stage. Yay!

Comment

Yup, I watched it on BT Sport and I was a little annoyed that Clive Allen on commentary didn't realise we were pacing ourselves with the Chelsea game, less than 72 hours away, in mind. A few times he complained that Spurs weren't playing as quickly or with the intensity that they did against West Ham... I'd have thought an ex-player and coach could have sussed that out.

As you said, a professional, solid, patient, away performance. A very mature and disciplined display from a young side. Fingers crossed we can be celebrating another win come quarter to three on Sunday!

Gary Neville wrote a very effusive article about Poch in The Telegraph, which is worth a read.

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Comment

I don't think today's match is quite going to make the cut when the end of season highlight reels are being put together

Very few clear cut chances today. Son had a header in the first half where he really should have scored, then another chance in the second where he was put through after some lovely build-up play on the edge of the box. It was at the opposite end to me though so it was hard to tell exactly how good a chance it was through the crowd of bodies. One excellent chance for Chelsea in the second half but luckily Hugo made a great save from Hazard. Really not much else to mention.

A draw was fair and I think both sides will be happy with the point. Great effort from the players considering most of the starting eleven played on Thursday and didn't arrive back in London until about 3AM on Friday morning. Unbeaten run still intact, still only four points off the top of the table, a solid weekend.

Comment

Yep, solid performance and fair result judging from MotD. A 0-0 draw was very much what I was expecting - hoping for another 5:3 victory but not surprised when it turned out like it did.

Comment

A bit of an iffy performance today, a few notches below what we're capable of. West Brom deserved the draw though, they played well, and if any team was going to win it at the end it looked like them.

A bit of a shame not to win with both Manchester clubs ahead of us dropping points, but it's impossible to play well every week, so at least we made sure we got a point despite not being at our best. Need to get back to getting all three points next week against Newcastle though.

Comment

Yes a bit lack lustre against WBA but at least we got a point out of it.

Quite an interesting prospect the Newcastle match after their defeat of Liverpool. They'll have more confidence so just hope we don't blow it because its the sort of match where Spurs have stumbled in the past and it costs at the end of the season. That would be a real shame as Spurs have a genuine top four place chance with the way it is all working out so far.

Comment

Having a look at their results it seems that so far this season, Newcastle often follow up an encouraging result with a really bad one, so hopefully that trend can continue! It does have potential to be a dangerous fixture though, so we'll need to be up for it.

I see we've been drawn against Leicester in the FA Cup. Good to get a home draw but I'm always disappointed if we don't draw a small lower league team, or a fallen giant who we haven't played for a while; playing an extra match against a top flight team who we're going to play anyway feel like a waste. And not only did we play Leicester in the cup last year, what's our league game straight after the cup tie? Yup, Leicester at home Funny how often then happens!

Edit - Nothing will beat this from 1999 though:

16th Jan - Tottenham vs Wimbledon (League)
                                23rd Jan - Wimbledon vs Tottenham (FA Cup 4th Round)
                                27th Jan - Tottenham vs Wimbledon (League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg)
                                2nd Feb - Tottenham vs Wimbledon (FA Cup 4th Round Replay)
                                16th Feb - Wimbledon vs Tottenham (League Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg)

We did actually manage to play some other teams after the third match and after the fourth match, but still, bloody hell
                                Last edited by EJG1980; 08-12-2015, 09:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X