No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, not a very inspiring way to open the new season! No excuses today, we simply were not good enough all over the pitch. No urgency to our play, players looked really lethargic and totally not up for it, lack of creativity... just an all around poor performance and Everton were the rightful winners.

We didn't play great in the first half, and in general play Everton looked better and brighter, but despite that we did create the better chances (aside from the massive gift we gave to Richarlison that he somehow didn't score from) and had Son played in Kane instead of Alli for once chance we'd have probably taken the lead.

So you'd have hoped that we'd step up the tempo in the second half, improve our general play, start creating those chances more often, and give ourselves a good chance of getting on top in the match. Unfortunately we went the opposite way, played worse and didn't even create the occasional chances like we did in the first half.

Really disappointing and you can only hope that there's some kind of instant positive reaction from the players in the upcoming matches.

Comment

Damned right. I was listening to it on the BBC and it didn't sound good and the highlights on MotD didn't change my mind on that either. I think we could have come away with a point but I don't believe we would have deserved it.

Mourinho clearly wasn't happy at all. He's been, mostly, holding his water in post match interviews after mediocre or bad performances ever since he arrived at Spurs but today he looked and sounded as if he was in the mood to be even more critical than he was.

I just don't get it, we have many top quality players yet they, even if irregularly, put in that sort of lack lustre performance. On MotD they were praising the Everton midfielder, forget his name, who bossed the match. That is exactly what Spurs need, a guy like him or one of the existing midfielders to step up to that role and do it week in, week out not just as the mood takes them.

Comment

I don't want to kneejerk too much because it's one match, and you can have one off bad matches. I think it was back in 2011, we started the season losing 3-0 away to Man Utd and 5-1 at home to Man City, but then won ten and drew one of the next eleven games and were right up there at the top of the table (finished 4th in the end, iirc). But...

The form and style of play has often been lethargic, slow, and lacking in imagination for 18 months now, with two different managers in charge. And you'd hope that at the start of a new season, even if you lose, you'd see some zip, some spark, a big effort from the players. Instead we got the same kind of performance we've been seeing since the end of Poch's reign, which is a bit worrying.

You're right that our midfield is a problem, there was a lack of creativity and tempo. Deeper we miss Dembele, and further up the pitch we miss Eriksen.

I think Lo Celso coming back from injury will improve things, and Ndombele definitely has the attributes to be a fantastic player, it's just down to him getting fit and getting his head right. A three in midfield with those two and PEH as the sitting, defensive midfielder, might be the way to go. But when the midfield is entirely defensive PEH types, battering rams like Sissoko, or neat and tidy like Winks, the ball just doesn't go anywhere most of the time.

They showed glimpses at the end of last season that the style of play might be improving, the standout being the Leicester game, so let's hope the opening day was a one off and the players can show themselves in a much better light over the coming matches (and they've got a LOT of matches coming up to make things right in!). Keep playing like we did against Everton and we'll have to get the sackcloth and ashes out.
        Last edited by EJG1980; 14-09-2020, 11:50.

Comment

Some, possibly serious, talk about resigning G.Bale or getting him on loan together with another Real Madrid player they want to get rid of too. One newspaper report even suggested the loan deal is done.

Wouldn't mind that at all, with Danny Rose gone that left wing would benefit greatly from a proper left footed player and one with proven goal scoring ability would be the cherry on the cake. Might also force Son and HK to play closer together in the centre in a proper strike partnership. Too often you see both of them drifting out to the wings when they're guys you want in and around the box as targets.

Comment

Yeah, I was spending yesterday evening trying not to get excited while repeatedly refreshing the Gareth Bale and Sergio Reguilon threads on the SpursCommuity forum

Both deals seem to be extremely close and so widely reported that it looks like they might actually happen. By late evening a few places had started reporting that the deals between the clubs were done and it was just down to Spurs and the players agreeing personal terms.

Despite him having a rough time of it the past couple of years in Madrid, Bale is still a truly world class player. In a team where he's wanted and is playing regularly, I'm sure he can be one of the standout players in the league once again.

I don't care about anything else, age, injuries, form, sod all of it; just seeing Gareth Bale back in a Spurs kit again might get me a bit misty eyed! Getting in a player of Bale's stature and reputation will be a massive boost to the club too, plus all the extra hype from it being him "coming home". I REALLY want this one to happen.

It's being overshadowed by the Bale news, but I'm pretty excited by the prospect of us getting Sergio Reguilon too. He was great for Seville last season and looked really good whenever I saw them play in the Europa League.

I like Ben Davies, he's a reliable pro who puts in a shift, but Reguilon is a step up. Him on the left and Doherty on the right and we'd have a pair of all out attacking full backs for the first time since peak Walker and Rose.

I hope both deals can be wrapped up and announced asap, as I don't think I could cope with too many days of waiting and worrying about it all going tits up

Comment

Phew, got through in Europe after a little bit of a scare. Thought it was going to be one of those nights when we were denied a clear penalty, missed a couple of really good chances, and then Plovdiv score with their first shot of the match after 70 minutes.

Then what sounds like an exciting end to the match as we got a penalty after a Ben Davies header was handballed off the line, the handballer was sent off, and then another Plovdiv player was sent off for a second yellow. We score the penalty, then a few minutes later Ndombele gets the winner... and we saw none of it because the international satellite feed from Bulgaria went down and only came back just before injury time was starting! The best part of the match and we saw none of it.

Ah well, we're through, that's the important thing.

Edit - listening to the Mourinho press conference and found out that the second Plovdiv player to be sent off got their second yellow for trying to mess up the penalty spot before Kane took his kick

It was good to hear him talking up Ndombele as well; honest about what he felt he was doing wrong last season but fulsome in his praise of how he was turning it around. Early days, but if he can reach his potential he'll be so good for us; technique, skill, passing ability, running with the ball, all top class.

Also, sounds like tomorrow might be an exciting day

Friday edit - I knew today would be exciting: should we get through, we've got a home draw in the next round of the Europa League and the League Cup!!!!

If we get through against Leyton Orient it's Chelsea or Barnsley next in the League Cup (so Chelsea!). If we beat KF Shkëndija in the EL next week then our final qualifying match will be against FC Rostov or Maccabi Haifa.

Yet another edit - highlights of the Europa League match, in case you haven't seen them (lovely build up play for the winning goal):

Last edited by EJG1980; 19-09-2020, 12:28.

Comment

Pretty much known since yesterday that it was definitely happening with all the coverage of Bale at the training centre and what not, but seeing the official announcement today was still a moment where I felt like pinching myself. Giddy with excitement!

It's going to get a bit lost under all the Bale coverage (and maybe that's a good thing, might allow him to settle in with less pressure) but we've also announced the signing of Sergio Reguilon. Excellent signing, very exciting young player, really looking forward to him playing.

Comment

Thanks for the Polvdiv highlights and other stuff.

Weird game today against Southampton from the sound of it. Lousy Spurs first half by all accounts then: bang we go on to win 2-5 with Son scoring 4.

We do like beating Southampton although I'd prefer it to have been 0-3 but, particularly after the Everton match, this is a very welcome tonic. Hopefully the second half performance and goals will be the starter motor for more good things to come.
                  Last edited by fallenangle; 20-09-2020, 13:57.

Comment

Yeah it was the stereotypical game of two halves! We actually did well for the first five minutes of the first half, scored what looked like a great goal only to have it ruled out (correctly) for a tiny offside, but then Southampton were much the better side for the rest of the half.

We did have another goal ruled out for offside (again correctly) but in general we weren't getting going at all. Needed some really good saves from Lloris to keep it at 1-0 and then we finally put together an excellent move at the end of the half with Ndombele, Kane and Son combining for the equaliser.

The second half though, totally different, and (though aided by a really poor Saints back line) we looked like could get through them to score nearly every time we went forward. Incredible performance from Sonny and Kane, I personally would have given them a joint man of the match award; brilliant finishing from Son but outstanding passes from Kane to set him up. Son, Kane and Bale up front... where's my Homer Simpson drooling GIF?

It was a "patchy" first half for Ndombele, but he showed what he can do with his superb contribution to the equaliser, and another couple of great through balls. Not surprised to see him go off at half time though with his lack of fitness, yellow card, and being a bit in and out of the game. Lo Celso who replaced him did really well in the second half; I'd love to see them both fully fit and regularly playing together in the future.

So, a great win in the end, but we need to cut out the kind of performance we put in in the first half. Cannot complain about a 5-2 away win though, and overall a good step in the right direction.

Edit: and it should have been 5-1 as the penalty at the end was nonsense, or, I should say, the new rule that deemed it a penalty is a nonsense. Thankfully it didn't cost us anything today but I'd have been livid if that had cost us points.
                    Last edited by EJG1980; 20-09-2020, 14:06.

Comment

Blimey, "a number" of Leyton Orient players have tested positive for Covid 19.

I guess we'll have to find out fairly quickly how this will affect our match with them. The article says Orient have closed their stadium and training ground until further notice, so a possible switch to our stadium?

If the circumstances are too challenging for them you can't rule out them forfeiting either, which would be a shame as, despite the packed schedule, this was a match I was looking forward to. They were also going to auction off all the shirts for the Justin Edinburgh foundation too; hopefully we make up for that with a nice donation from the club.

Good foresight from Spurs:

Though I can imagine most top teams will have done this; surely no way any of them are going to risk their top level players catching it from an untested player.

And thinking about it, it's crazy that testing isn't mandatory in the lower leagues; I know it's an extra expense but it'll be nothing compared to the expense / income loss of multiple games being postponed etc.. Not to mention untested positive players spreading it to opponents, member of staff, families, and so on.
                      Last edited by EJG1980; 21-09-2020, 15:04.

Comment

That sort of thing could ruin a club at any level of the game.

Comment

Good win, although our poor finishing made it take a lot longer to wrap up than it should have done.

Thought the floodgates would open when we went 1-0 up inside the first five minutes, but we then proceeded to miss every chance we made. So of course, after 55 minutes where Joe Hart could have got a deckchair out and done The Times crossword, Shkendija rocket one in from 25 yards to draw level out of nowhere.

Missed a few more chances before Son put us back in the lead and Kane wrapped things up. Never really worried that we wouldn't win it, but there should have been zero worries at all.

Ndombele watch: I thought he might go off after 60 minutes today as he's been getting 15 minutes more on the pitch with each appearance, but he managed to last the whole 90. He actually got better in the second half too, put in one of his best defensive shifts I've seen for us and was always looking to pass the ball forwards and play people into dangerous positions, I'd probably give him MOTM based on his second half.

Maccabi Haifa at home next Thursday in our final qualifier, after which we will hopefully be looking forward to the group stage draw.

Highlights:

Last edited by EJG1980; 25-09-2020, 10:43.

Comment

We've officially been handed a bye in the League Cup third round and will go straight to playing Chelsea in the fourth round next Tuesday. From the EFL statement:

"The Round Three tie scheduled for Tuesday 22 September between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur could not take place following the issue by Waltham Forest Borough Council of an order preventing the match being played as planned. This followed a number of Leyton Orient players testing positive for COVID-19.

The EFL Board has determined that in line with Carabao Cup Rule 5.1, the Club was unable to fulfil its obligations to complete the fixture by virtue of the Council’s order and shall therefore forfeit the tie."

It really sucks for Leyton Orient, although my initial sympathy has been tempered a bit. Before their previous league match they had several players come down with "a bug" but didn't report it to anybody, just assumed it wasn't Covid related, and went ahead and played the match. Failing to safeguard the health of their players, potentially spreading it to the opposition, the familes of all the players involved... not good.

I understand that lower league clubs are seriously strapped for cash and that the testing is an expense they can do without, but they should have alerted the authorities as soon as they had sick players and asked for help with testing if they couldn't afford it. The expense of it spreading around, multiple clubs having matches called off, etc., is far worse.

So while I think Orient didn't do the right thing, I do still have some sympathy as the FA, EFL, PFA, etc., should have got together before the start of this season and come up with an action plan for regular testing and helping lower league clubs with the expense. The fact that they started the season without mandatory regular testing being in place was crazy.

I was pleased to see Spurs fans helping out though; Orient announced that their shirt sales had increased eightfold after the match was postponed, thanks to Spurs fans buying their shirts to try and help out.

Comment

Thanks for all that info and the clip; just about to watch it now.

Good stuff, good goals and more chances too. DA should have walloped that one of his into the back of the net but dinked it instead. Particularly liked the HK goal, the cross from Son was almost perfect.

I'd actually forgotten the EL game was on yesterday so I was pleasantly surprised to see the result.

Chelsea in the League Cup, that's going to be an 'interesting' test.
                              Last edited by fallenangle; 26-09-2020, 12:18. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                                Chelsea in the League Cup, that's going to be an 'interesting' test.
                                Yeah, I think we're going to be seeing a "reserve" eleven in that match.

A journalist asked "You've got three matches in five days, are you prioritising, which is the most important?" and Mourinho said that the EFL had decided for him which were the most important by giving us only one day off before and after the League Cup match. So I can see us going with strongest eleven vs Newcastle, most of that eleven rested for Chelsea, and then strongest eleven again in Europe.

I can't blame him if he goes that route. I'm sure he'd love to win the League Cup with us (I'd certainly love it!) but with virtually no rest between matches I think you have to prioritise the two competitions that give you a chance to qualify for the Champions League over the one that doesn't, and is seen as the least prestigious of the three regardless of that.

The "reserves" should all be good players though, we're at home, so it's certainly not a foregone conclusion that we'll go out, even if it would give Chelsea an advantage if they play their strongest eleven.

Comment

Working...
                                X