Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
    WH beating Watford doesn't really mean much. On their current form MU will eat them for breakfast.

MC losing to Arsenal in the FA Cup semi-final - that is significant because it could affect the number of Europa League places. Not sure if I have this right as there are various possibilities but I think Spurs are going to have to hope Arsenal or MU win the FA Cup for 7th place in the Premiership to qualify.

Of course Spurs will still likely need maximum points from today's game and the Crystal Palace one and hope Wolves lose their two remaining matches. That could be very import to Leicester as well, particularly if Spurs beat them.
    Not quite. When Spurs are involved you can think "What would be the most annoying thing that could happen?" and that'll probably be what the situation is

Man Utd, Chelsea (and Man City before they were knocked out) have already qualified for Europe via the league, so if one of them win the cup the Europa spots will go down to seventh. However if Arsenal win the cup and finish outside the top seven, they get the final Europa spot for wining the cup and seventh place misses out.

So in other words, we'd better make sure we finish sixth if we don't want a nervous wait until after the FA Cup final!

If we can win both our remaining matches then we'd finish sixth as long as Wolves don't win both their matches (we don't even need them to lose, one draw for them would be enough).

Gonna be a tough match today. Leicester have a few injury problems, clinging on to the CL spots by their finger nails, they could be a bit of a wounded animal who really come out fighting for their lives. We need to make sure we're up for it and play well today, or we could regret it.

Comment

Yes I thought it was a bit more complicated than just I'd described. Thanks for making it clearer.

COYS.

Comment

Good win and a vital three points. Fingers crossed for the same again for us next weekend and a helping hand from Palace or Chelsea when they play Wolves.

A couple of lovely goals from Kane today. He also played an amazing pass at the start of the second half that would have been assist of the season if Son had scored instead of slipping and losing the ball. He’s really shaking off the injury rust in this “mini-season” which will hopefully mean he can start next season in tip top condition, raring to go.

While Leicester had a lot of shots most of the were long range and didn’t trouble Lloris, and while we sat deep and gave up possession we were pretty comfortable for most of the match. We did need Lloris to make a couple of top saves in each half to preserve the clean sheet though; the best and most important was his save from Pérez in the first half which could have made it 1-1.

Good luck to Leicester though, I’d rather they get 4th than Man Utd so I hope they can beat them on the final day and still pip them to the CL spot.

Comment

Just watched the highlights on MotD and as the pundits said afterwards it was clearly a very well thought out Spurs performance. Let them have lots of possession and hit them on the counter-attack.

Lucky first goal helped but the other two were classic Spurs' devastatingly fast-counter attacks. HK's second goal was just clinically brilliant - forced out too wide, apparently, takes it back into the box, makes the space and curls it into the goal.

We still desperately need to beat Crystal Palace as both Wolves and SU will finish above us if they win both their remaining matches; a draw might be OK for 7th place but when they have Crystal Palace and Everton, then Chelsea and Southampton respectively it will be hugely lucky for us if they don't get some points in at least one of those matches.

Comment

A couple of useful results so far this week, with Sheffield Utd and Arsenal both losing. We now can't finish lower than seventh no matter what happens against Palace. Hopefully we can get one more result going our way on the final day with Wolves failing to beat Chelsea, while we beat Palace to nab sixth spot.

Comment

Pretty much what I was going to post too.

I was not that worried about Arsenal because even if we'd ended up on the same points (59) ie. they won both matches and we drew against Crystal Palace, our GD is far better.

Particularly glad to see SU losing though to make 7th place certain but we really want Chelsea to do us a favour against Wolves and of course Spurs to win their final game too.

EDIT

Good game between Liverpool and Chelsea last night. Loads of goals but main thing from Spurs point of view is Chelsea lost. That should give them huge motivation to beat Wolves because if they lose or draw and Leicester win or draw against MU then Chelsea's poor GD will relegate them to 5th place.

The MU v. Leicester game Is going to be interesting too.
              Last edited by fallenangle; 23-07-2020, 02:32.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                Good game between Liverpool and Chelsea last night. Loads of goals but main thing from Spurs point of view is Chelsea lost. That should give them huge motivation to beat Wolves because if they lose or draw and Leicester win or draw against MU then Chelsea's poor GD will relegate them to 5th place.

The MU v. Leicester game Is going to be interesting too.
                My turn to say "Pretty much what I was going to post too"

It would definitely have been a worry if Chelsea were going into the Wolves match with nothing on the line, able to rest players for the cup final, etc.. I was getting a bit worried when Chelsea pulled it back from 4-1 to 4-3 but luckily Liverpool got back on top and saw it out.

Speaking of losing out on things on goal difference, the end of the Championship season last night had a big one. Nottingham Forest were +3 points and +5 goal difference ahead of Swansea at kick-off. Forest lost 4-1 and Swansea won 4-1, so Swansea jumped ahead of Forest to take the final playoff spot. Wouldn't want to be a forest fan this morning! You can never take anything for granted in football.

I was hoping that Brentford would make the automatic promotion spots but unfortunately they lost out to our bogey team West Brom. Let's hope we have a better record against them than the last time they were in the PL! Hopefully Brentford can win the playoffs.

Also nice to see Luton staying up as our young defender Cameron Carter-Vickers is on loan with them. Apparently he's done really well and since he joined on loan, the number of goals they've been conceding per match has halved. A long shot that he could still make it at Spurs, but maybe his form can get him a move to a decent Championship club.

Comment

Leeds coming back to the Premiership has stirred up all sorts of memories for me. Back in the day they were one of the top teams, my brother became a fair weather Leeds supporter at that time for no other good reason than they were successful. He lost interest and migrated to Norwich when he was at uni and then lost interest in them too when they were relegated. Plus sa change.

The earliest FA Cup final I remember was Chelsea v Leeds in 1970 and my brother being upset that Chelsea won the replay

The replay in particular was truly brutal at times and the pitches..................they were really awful back then.
                  Last edited by fallenangle; 23-07-2020, 12:56.

Comment

Of course, Spurs can't do it the easy way and have to jangle our nerves at least a little bit, but we've got sixth place and European football next season Stretched our run of top six finishes to 11 years too.

Started the match well, brilliant goal from Kane (and a lovely little assist from Lo Celso) but our performance level started dropping after that and really dipped in the second half. Palace deserved the equaliser and were the better team in the second half, but aside from their goal Lloris had little to do, just one really heart in mouth moment when a cross was deflected off Winks' toe and span onto the crossbar. Very nervy though, knowing the one slip would cost us top six, but luckily we saw it out.

A definite step down from the last three or four performances, but we did enough in the end and on days like today only the result matters.

I don't expect us to make any "wow" signings in the summer, but a few astute purchases of players who fit into the way Mourhino wants to play and we've got a good chance of getting back into the Champions League and hopefully winning a cup. Aside from Liverpool and Man City, all the big clubs have been poor this season (Man Utd third on 66pts when often the low 70's won't even get you top four) so I think, aside from the top two, it's all up for grabs next season.

Edit: a couple of social media posts from Kane and Dele have confirmed that Jan Vertonghen won’t be at the club next season. I think my favourite moments from him were the two CL games against Dortmund last season; a brilliant performance at left wing back the first leg at Wembley, setting up one goal and scoring another, and then putting in one of my favourite tackles early in the second leg when Dortmund were desperate to get a goal back. All the best, Super Jan.

Edit edit: Mourinho has confirmed that one of his assistant coaches, who is leaving the club, will be replaced by Ledley King. Always nice to see ex-players stay connected with the club in a coaching role. Also, a few places are reporting that Tanganga has signed a new four year contract and it should announced tomorrow.
                    Last edited by EJG1980; 27-07-2020, 07:16.

Comment

I was watching Final Score on the BBC off and on yesterday whilst the games were being played and from the sound of it Spurs' second half performance seemed to perplex both the reporter at the game and the studio pundits.

When so much depended on winning they couldn't explain it.

Yes, sad to hear Jan Vertonghen is going. Excellent player at his best and with Toby Alderweireld made the Spurs defence more solid and reliable than I can ever remember it being. Just hope we get a good replacement or two in to give the squad some much needed depth.
                      Last edited by fallenangle; 27-07-2020, 11:47.

Comment

Comment

Poignant and worthy goodbye to JV - thanks for posting it.

Comment

First transfer of the summer, we've signed Pierre-Emile Højbjerg from Southampton. Fills in something we've been missing from our midfield since injuries decimated Wanyama, a proper defensive midfielder to protect the back four.

Obviously not exactly the same type of player as Victor, but last season he won the ball back from the opposition more than any other midfielder in the Premier League. So hopefully it helps lower the number of goals we concede, and also frees up the more creative midfield players to concentrate on what they do best. Fingers crossed that it might be the key in unlocking the potential in Ndombele.

Kyle Walker-Peters has gone the other way and joined Southampton permanently. Always sad to see a youngster leave and not make the breakthrough into the first team. He's definitely got potential and he looked good the couple of times I saw him play when he was on loan at Southampton last season. Hopefully he'll do well and establish himself as a very good Premier League player.

Comment

There's also news that we might be dumping Ryan Sessegnon on Newcastle too.

Very disappointing that he apparently has not cut the mustard after so much, deserved, hype when he arrived.

Comment

Personally I'd be surprised if any of our signings from last summer were shipped out straight away. Ndombele has been linked with other clubs but most of the articles I've read seem to be unanimous in saying that Spurs have no intention of selling, know that it can be difficult to settle into a new league / country / club, and expect him to eventually come good.

I'd be surprised if the club didn't have the same attitude towards Sessegnon, especially given that he's still so young, but I suppose you can never rule anything out. If Mourhino is on the fence about him, and the money from a sale allows him to bring in one of his transfer targets... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

Working...
                                X