No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm interested to see what is going on with Ryan Sessegnon - he's only 19 but Spurs who have been genuinely interested in him for a long time. They want to pay £25m, Fulham want £45m,............................hmmmmmmm. Time will tell.

Comment

We’ve announced the signing of Tanguy Ndombele from Lyon. Most places are saying that the fee is €60 million + €10 million in potential addons.

Very happy we’ve got this one over the line, and in time for pre-season, as he’s the kind of quality player we often get linked with but don’t quite manage to sign (although I think a lot of the time that’s because the links were pure fantasy). Supposedly he was also Poch’s number one transfer for this summer, so it was extra important to make sure we got him.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
        I'm interested to see what is going on with Ryan Sessegnon - he's only 19 but Spurs who have been genuinely interested in him for a long time. They want to pay £25m, Fulham want £45m,............................hmmmmmmm. Time will tell.
        Haven’t heard much talk about him recently, although my Spurs transfer news pretty much all comes through Alasdair Gold these days. Once he starts tweeting or retweeting about a transfer, or a story appears on the BBC, I take it to be more than just a random rumour.

Lo Celso from Real Betis and Ceballos from Real Madrid seem to be the biggest links at the mo (now that Clarke and Ndombele have signed).

Comment

Trippier has completed a move to Atletico Madrid, according to the BBC, just waiting for official conformation from Spurs.

(Edit: Spurs have confirmed it now too)

Always really liked Trippier, he did very well biding his time when backup to Kyle Walker, never complained, always did well when called upon, and then stepped up another level when given the chance to replace Walker as first choice. His standards did slip after the World Cup though, and he didn't have a great season last season.

Good on Trippier for not taking a safe option and moving abroad to test himself in a different environment. An excellent club to go to as well, it'd be fun if we met them in the Champions League next season (which would be the only time I don't wish him good luck at his new club ).

He had three years left on his contract and the move have been wrapped up pretty quickly, so obviously the club was happy to let him go (probably based on age and the fee we're getting), and either has a replacement lined up or faith in the current players in the squad. Poch has talked about how he wants to "refresh" the squad this summer and that it might mean some established players leaving as well as new ones joining.

Apparently Rose has been left out of our pre-season tour squad so he can work on finding a new club too, and if he leaves then I expect our interest in Ryan Sessegnon might escalate.
          Last edited by EJG1980; 17-07-2019, 17:04.

Comment

My brother was a bit bemused by it, as he was the first choice now Walker left, and figures Athletico is a step down compared to where Spurs are currently. Thoughts?
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              My brother was a bit bemused by it, as he was the first choice now Walker left, and figures Athletico is a step down compared to where Spurs are currently. Thoughts?
              Right now, probably yes, as we have just got to a CL final, the new stadium is pushing our finances up another level, so there’s a lot of hope we can improve again over the next five years the way we have over the previous five years. Atletico have also just lost two of their best players in Griezmann and Rodri. But...

Atletico have sold big name players before and the skill of Simeone has seen them find excellent replacements and remain competitive. It’s only five years since they won the league, runners up the past two seasons, two CL finals in the past five years, a Europa League win... they’re no slouches and have had more on field success than we have over the same time period.

So right now you could argue that Spurs are more likely to be “on the up”, but I personally wouldn’t say Trips has taken a “step down”, not one that should cause bemusement, at least. Atletico have been one of the best teams in Europe over the past six or seven years, and I wouldn’t bet against Atletico staying competitive with Barca and Real, and continuing to do well in the CL.

And there can be more to a transfer than “is club A better than club B?” too. Trippier may want to experience playing abroad while he still has the chance. Spurs may have told him that we need to sell players to buy new ones and we’re willing to let him go, and Trippier might rather move than stay at a club who was prepared to let him go. Could be anything, all sorts of reasons why a player might make a move.

Edit - comments from Trippier about the move, sounds like he simply wanted to fulfil an ambition of playing abroad and experiencing life in a different country:

"Obviously the Premier League is one of the best leagues in the world, but when Atletico Madrid were interested I didn’t think twice.

"It was a great opportunity for myself, my family, to come and live in Madrid and experience it.

"Me and Mauricio (Tottenham boss Pochettino) had a conversation about my future.

"I explained there was a big opportunity at Atletico Madrid and it was an opportunity that I didn’t want to turn down.

"Not many British players come abroad, but I always wanted to play abroad, especially in La Liga, since I was young."
              Last edited by EJG1980; 19-07-2019, 15:41.

Comment

Yeah, it's only pre-season, but what a stunning goal this was by Kane today:

It was a fantastic match even before that goal, not the usual stroll you often get in pre-season.

Lots of youngsters who had good games for Spurs, especially Parrot up front who showed off some excellent hold up play for a 17 year old, and had a big part in our opening goal (not just his shot at the end, the clip below doesn't show that he was the one who set Son away in the first place). Skipp was very good in midfield too.

Ndombele made a great start when he came on, robbing a Juve defender of the ball and playing a superb pass to Moura to assist our second goal. And, of course, Kane's last minute wonder winner.

Last edited by EJG1980; 21-07-2019, 14:24.

Comment

HK goal = wow!

Comment

Just a reminder, if anyone here does not know: the Audi Cup matches are going to be shown on ITV4 this week.

Audi Cup fixtures live on ITV4
                    :-

Real Madrid v Tottenham Hotspur
                    Tuesday 30 July, kick-off 5pm, ITV4/HD (CH 118/178)
                    Bayern Munich v Fenerbahçe
                    Tuesday 30 July, kick-off 7.30pm, ITV4/HD (CH 118/178)
                    Third place play-off
                    Wednesday 31 July, kick-off 5pm, ITV4/HD (CH 118/178)
                    Final
                    Wednesday 31 July, kick-off 7.30pm, ITV4/HD (CH 118/178)

Comment

Thanks, I hadn't realised it was on ITV4 until you mentioned it, I'd have been wasting time trying to find a dodgy stream otherwise!

Can't ever read too much into pre-season but a good match, a good team performance, and nice to see a few youngsters getting the chance to play against such a big name opponent.

Foyth did well at right back; he played there a couple of times at the end of last season and every match at the Copa America, so it looks like he might end up playing there permanently. Big chance to claim a first 11 spot with Trippier gone and Aurier injured.

Lamela looked very good in the first half, I really hope he can stay injury free for the whole season. Of the youngsters on show in the second half Tananga looked good at the back, nice and composed for a youngster, and Skipp put in another good display in midfield.

Should have got more than one goal, Parrot was very unlucky with his shot that hit the post at the end. A shame Dele didn't finish his two chances but the movement to get into the positions in the first place was excellent.

Hopefully we'll get to play Munich in the final tomorrow!

Edit: Bayern 5-0 up at half time, I think we might just be playing them tomorrow
                      Last edited by EJG1980; 30-07-2019, 19:21.

Comment

Good Spurs win. If they can win the final too, even of a minor competition like this, it will be an excellent step in the build up to the new season.

Just hope it is a better game than the one still being played, Fenerbahçe have been humiliated by BM.

Comment

Yes! Champions of German cars!

Another good match, a couple of really good goals (that skill, run and cross from Nkoudou for the first was superb), and we were the better side for the first hour or so. And although we were under the kosh for the final half an hour that will probably do the players (especially the youngsters) more good than if it was a stroll. Damn shame about the Foyth injury, hopefully that’s one that looks worse than it was, but it really didn’t look good. Hope Sissoko is okay too.

Well done to all the youngsters who put their penalties away, and a great save from Gazza to finish it off.

Edit: just saw on Twitter that Sissoko was back out to join in the post-match stuff with the rest of the team, and he looked pretty happy so it doesn't look like he's injured.
                          Last edited by EJG1980; 31-07-2019, 21:19.

Comment

Great way to finish the pre-season. Both matches today were good watches.

Spurs giving away a 2-0 lead was not what I wanted to see but by the end I barely recognised half the side so it was very much a second or even third choice set of players. BM were hard work throughout even for the stronger starting Spurs eleven so those lesser known Spurs replacements did a pretty good job despite giving away the two goals.

German side + penalties not what you want to face, you always think the worst but Spurs came through that test pretty well (a miss and a nearly saved one) too. Very good penalties from a couple of the young players, taken with confidence as well.

Only downer was indeed that Foyth injury.

Comment

Great way to finish the pre-season.
                              Not quite finished yet, we still have a friendly against Inter at home on Sunday. Unfortunately it's not on free TV like the last two matches.

Spurs giving away a 2-0 lead was not what I wanted to see but by the end I barely recognised half the side so it was very much a second or even third choice set of players. BM were hard work throughout even for the stronger starting Spurs eleven so those lesser known Spurs replacements did a pretty good job despite giving away the two goals.
                              Yup, especially as it was the defence where a big chunk of the inexperience was. A couple of teenage fullbacks who are midfielders by trade and Tanganga at centre back, none of whom have played a competitive first team match before, up against the likes of Muller and Lewandowski. Big credit to them that the equaliser only came from a 25 yard wonder strike.

Speaking of Tanganga, I think he's done well enough in these past few matches that he might see some first team action in early rounds of the cups in the upcoming season. I've been quite impressed with him.

Comment

Yes, I forgotten about the Inter Milan game.

If Foyth is missing for some time and Serge Aurier, also out recovering from his recent hand operation then you could well be right. Our defensive formations might include some of those lesser known players, particularly for the Carabao Cup or whatever they're calling the League Cup this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X