Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
    Yep you were spot on with Harry Winks - he did a good job too.

Easy win for England today against a side that was certainly not in the same class as the Czechs.

A lot of BS about the racist crowd trouble - if the pundits and authorities think a threat to walk the players off the pitch is going to solve the problem they're mad. Anyone could have predicted that if the Bulgarians were losing badly the bad boys amongst their supporters were going to try to disrupt the match. That is what they did.
    I think they have to do have to dish or genuinely harsh punishments to try and stop racist chanting, Nazi salutes, etc., from happening at football matches though.

First offence, your next match is behind closed doors. If it happens again within a certain period (say, two years, something like that) your next home match is then cancelled and the points awarded to your opponents. And the same punishment after every subsequent incident from then on. I think you need something harsh like that to get the local football authorities and police serious about arresting those people, banning them from stadiums, and enforcing those bans properly in the future.

Of course it won't solve the problem of racism, someone who spouts racist drivel at a football match is still going to be racist when they leave the stadium, whatever you do. As long as there is racism in society, there will be racist football fans. But I would approve of harsh punishments being used to see if we can at least make football stadiums a no-go area for racists.

Comment

I’m glad we escaped with a point but that was a pretty poor display again. The defence looked very shaky and a better team that Watford would have exploited and punished that a lot more than they did.

Not great going forwards either, very lacklustre and a real lack of chances created. Can’t think of any good chances from the first half and in the second we had Son’s excellent shot against the bar at the start, and then we looked dangerous for about 5-10 minutes at the end, but very little in-between.

Again, glad we showed enough fight right at the end to grab a point (and hopefully the goal will do Dele Alli some good) but we needed to show the urgency and fight of the last few minutes way way earlier... maybe that’s a little unfair, I don’t actually think there was a lack of effort, but it just wasn’t clicking for most of the match.

It wasn’t a loss though, so fingers crossed it can end up being a small baby step forwards. We’ll need to be much better on Wednesday, and I don’t even want to think too much about visiting Anfield after that

Comment

Just finished watching it on MotD. Lucky on that Vertongen penalty decision but DA's goal I think can be justifiable claimed as hitting his shoulder rather than arm.

Aurier yet again was variable - on one hand putting in some good crosses and running back to defend in the first half but there was that Watford break in the second half where it was 4 on 2 in Watford's favour. Danny Rose bust a gut trying to get back but Aurier just stopped trying.

Reminds me of Assou-Ekkotu a player I was not unhappy to see depart from Spurs.

Tuesday Edit:-

That's more like it - excellent result tonight against Red Star. Five goals and a clean sheet - can't complain about that.
        Last edited by fallenangle; 22-10-2019, 22:38.

Comment

It was really good, everything that had been missing from a lot of our recent displays was back. We pressed for the whole 90 mins and made so many chances from pressuring the opposition and robbing the ball from them high up the pitch. Lots of fast, clever movement from the attacking players so we always had multiple good options to try and get through to the goal. Better finishing and we could have added another four of five goals to those we did get; Kane, Son and Lamela could all have had hat-tricks. Far more concentrated and solid at the back too, though we'll be tested by far better attacks than Red Star, it was still good to see.

Kane, Son, Lamela and Ndombele were all superb. Dele Alli had an excellent if understated game, he wasn't doing the eye-catching stuff that the other four were but he was a vital cog in knitting our attacks together, and got a deserved ovation when he went off. Good to see Foyth and Lo Celso getting back onto the pitch too, hopefully Sessegnon isn't too far behind them.

I thought I'd post the highlights from BT Sport in case you haven't seen them:

Comment

Thanks, ^ much appreciated.

........just finished watching it - all really good goals, particularly liked the first Son goal, as Glen Hoddle said, the ground he made up to get to the cross was incredible. Also liked that diagonal run from HK across the path of Ndombele for the second Son goal which clearly dragged two defenders away. HK's second goal was pure class too.

EDIT

Just seen the highlights from the Southampton versus Leicester match last night, 0-9. Incredible - somebody here is going to be pleased.

Liverpool for Spurs tomorrow: always a tough game historically and on their current form if we come away with any points it'll be a decent result. Like to pay them back for the CL final though.
            Last edited by fallenangle; 26-10-2019, 12:25.

Comment

Just seen the highlights from the Southampton versus Leicester match last night, 0-9. Incredible - somebody here is going to be pleased.

Liverpool for Spurs tomorrow: always a tough game historically and on their current form if we come away with any points it'll be a decent result. Like to pay them back for the CL final though.
              That Southampton vs Leicester match was amazing. Fun fact, there have only been two 9-0 results in the Premier League, and a Schmeichel was in goal for the winning team both times.

Can't argue that Liverpool didn't deserve the win today. Brilliant start for us, and for the first ten minutes we were playing a good game and looking dangerous on the break and keeping Liverpool at bay, but the next 80 minutes was basically all Liverpool, with Gazza pulling off some great saves to keep us in it. A real shame that Son hit the bar with the chance he had right at the start of the second half, a two goal cushion would have given us a real boost.

We did rally a bit after going 2-1 down and had a couple of chances to equalise right near the end, a great opening for Rose and a header for Toby at the death, but we couldn't snatch anything. As I said, Liverpool clearly deserved the win, but it's annoying that after keeping them out we gift them a penalty for the winner; even more annoying that Aurier did really well and actually won the ball but then somehow gave it away again and committed the foul anyway

Edit: hopefully the above doesn't sound like I'm saying we were rubbish, because we weren't, there were quite a few positives. The keeper was excellent, the centre-backs were solid and defended really well (Liverpool mostly got in by exploiting the full-backs, neither of whom were good defensively), Son, Kane and Sissoko had good moments, Winks and Dele didn't have amazing games but both worked really hard.

Eriksen was well off form again though. Our counter attacking would have troubled Liverpool much more but there were at least four good attacks that broke down because Eriksen played a poor pass. After Lamela's great performance against Red Star, I wonder if he would have started instead of Eriksen had he not failed a very late fitness test.

Right now, if Lamela stays fit, and when Lo Celso gains his match fitness, I would personally play them ahead of Eriksen every time. Give the minutes to those who are likely to be here next season, not those who are 99% certain to leave. I don't mind someone like Dele being given a lot of game time so he can play his way back into form, as we'll benefit from that in the long run, but with a player who's leaving... I'm not sure it's worth it.
              Last edited by EJG1980; 28-10-2019, 12:20.

Comment

Can't disagree with anything said. Spurs played well enough against Liverpool but did not take the few additional chances they had.

Pity, I was hoping for a draw rather than losing but can not argue that Liverpool did not deserve to win despite the fact Spurs played pretty well throughout. Just not quite good enough...........................yet.

Eriksen looked and has looked for some time a shadow of himself at his best.

I didn't know who had given away the penalty until MotD but when I just saw the final score earlier and that there had been a penalty my very first thought was: I bet it was Aurier. Hated being right.

Comment

Hah, yeah (late reply I know)... the missus' Sky box had the match available and as she had an early night (last week was terrible in general) I settled down to watch the game live before going to bed myself. After 20 minutes wow... one of those I couldn't believe what I was seeing moments! Still not as good as winning the league... sorry guys
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Hopefully the Gomes injury is something that looks worse than it really is, but the reactions of the players who looked at his leg make it seem like it's something pretty horrific. I hope he can recover ASAP.

I don't think Son was at fault though and shouldn't have had his yellow upgraded to a red. I thought at the time that it seemed like a straight forward foul that deserved a yellow card, and the injury was a freak occurrence. At first I thought the injury was probably caused when Gomes collided with Aurier, but Don Hutchinson who was at the game just tweeted this:

"I’ve just been in to see the injury again. Son not a fault for the injury (yellow card for a normal foul) Andre Gomez ankle gets trapped underneath him and the injury happens before the collision with S Aurier."

So I'd hope they take a look at the Son red and chalk it off.

The game itself was a pretty poor one, not much quality on show from either side, aside from Alli's lovely goal. It's a shame we couldn't hold on for the win, but it was gonna be tough with ten men against a fired up Everton. Hopefully we can have another good showing in Europe and beat Red Star again and finally get back to winning ways in the league against Sheffield Utd (although they are flying high at the moment so that's going to be a tough match).

Comment

Yes, unfortunate incident but whilst Son's foul may have lead to the injury the foul itself was in no way worthy of a red card applied after the event. It was not dangerously reckless just badly timed. Hugely unfair.

The rest of the game was disappointing with the exception of, as you say, DA's excellent goal. To give two points away for a draw is a result that is not what Spurs needed. Lower half of the table, behind MU - not at all the sort of position we should be in about a third of the way through the season.

Comment

Yes, unfortunate incident but whilst Son's foul may have lead to the injury the foul itself was in no way worthy of a red card applied after the event. It was not dangerously reckless just badly timed. Hugely unfair.

The rest of the game was disappointing with the exception of, as you say, DA's excellent goal. To give two points away for a draw is a result that is not what Spurs needed. Lower half of the table, behind MU - not at all the sort of position we should be in about a third of the way through the season.
                        A few places are saying that we're going to appeal the red card today, but I haven't seen it officially confirmed yet. Hopefully we do and common sense will prevail and it gets overturned.

At the moment it looks like we're going to need to do a reverse of last season where we had a brilliant first half of the (league) season and a terrible second half. I would say that we just need to put in one really good performance and result and it could kick-start us, but I thought that was what our 4-0 win against Palace was going to be...

On the positive side, Lo Celso got some more minutes into his legs and Ryan Sessegnon finally made his debut, even if it was just a one minute cameo. Another confidence booster for Dele Alli with his goal that will hopefully be another step towards him finding his best form again.

Comment

In a surprising display of common sense, Son’s red card has been overturned:

Tottenham forward Son Heung-min's red card for his tackle on Andre Gomes is overturned by the Football Association.

Also it looks like Kane is better after his weekend illness, he was on the plane to Belgrade earlier today.

Comment

Lucky not to concede a goal tonight but overall a fine performance and great result.

Do not like having Dier in the back four but the formation worked. Still need another three points to be certain to qualify for the knockout stages but after our ropey start in the CL this season we're back on track.

Now we need to do the same in the Premiership.

Comment

Really good performance. The opposition wasn't great on the night, but they showed by beating Liverpool and drawing with Napoli last season that they're capable of getting good results at home, so to get such a comfortable win was very pleasing.

Got a little bit of luck right at the end of the first half when Red Star hit the post and then the rebound off Sanchez hit the bar, and Gazza had to make one good save earlier on at 0-0, but aside from that we were untroubled at the back.

Quite a few good performances around the team: Lo Celso had an excellent first start and aside from his attacking threat also put himself about and won the ball back a lot, one such tackle leading to the opening goal. Juan Foyth looked good at right back, and aside from one (I think unlucky) moment where he lost his footing that lead to the early Red Star chance, he looked calm and composed the whole evening. Ndombele was brilliant the whole night, like Dembele at his best the way he dribbled past people and held onto the ball, but twenty yards further up the pitch so he was always causing problems for the opposition, and his play was a vital part of setting up the second goal.

Son was excellent with his two goals, Dele Alli and Kane both played very well and either assisted or played vital passes in the build up to goals even if they didn't score themselves, and it was great to see Sessegnon getting a fifteen minute run out and providing the assist for the fourth goal. Rose had easily his best game of the season too; I've never doubted his commitment but I personally think he's been pretty poor this season, but last night was far better.

I think everyone had at least a decent game, but the above were the ones I thought warranted extra mention.

Now, as you say, we've gotta make this the start of a run of good results in all competitions rather than just a one off. If we can get the win against Sheffield United that'd be three unbeaten and a couple of wins to take us into the international break with a good feeling and a little bit of momentum. Fingers crossed!

Edit - match highlights from last night in case you haven't seen them:

Last edited by EJG1980; 07-11-2019, 09:19.

Comment

Thanks again for the highlights - listening to it on BBC 5Live as I did, even on TV with the televised studio discussions at half-time and afterwards without any clips is only half the experience.

Going to take a cheeky afternoon break from what I was doing and watch it now.

EDIT

That was good. The first Spurs goal was just as mad as it sounded and seeing those RSB early chances even more lucky than I thought not to have had at least one goal against. Those Son goals were great and came as a a result of classic fast flowing attacks - more of that please Spurs.

Comment

Working...
                                X