No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another visit to Southampton awaits in round four, if we can win the replay.

At least the preparation should be easy; Mourinho just needs to put in a video of the recent league match and say “Don’t play like this.”

Edit: nice, the replay is being shown live on BBC One.

Not so nice, Moussa Sissoko had surgery on a knee injury picked up against Southampton and is not expected to return to training until April.

I'm not usually an advocate of buying just to cover injuries as you end up with a bloated squad when the injured players return, but our squad is so stretched and in need of a refresh at the mo that a couple of January signings to inject some fresh impetus and ease the burden on the rest of the squad would not go amiss. Have a clear out in the summer if needed.
    Last edited by EJG1980; 07-01-2020, 16:57.

Comment

Thanks. I just saw that myself the BBC were going to televise it live and was going to post about it here but I see you've added the info to your previous post. Looking forward to it.

Always worries me when they do that because you get the feeling somebody thinks it could be memorable match for all the wrong reasons from the Spurs point of view. They do love a FA Cup 'upset'.

There are the usual rumours you see about players during the transfer windows. One report said Inter Milan had offered £20m for Eriksen but that has been denied by one of the guys who actually writes the cheques. So that sounds like rubbish but there are more plausible stories about Spurs trying to get other players on loan rather than purchase outright for just the sort of reasons you describe.

Comment

There's a Danish journalist (I forget the name) who insists the Erkisen to Inter move is a goer this January, so, we'll have to wait and see.

The club just announced that Kane is having surgery on his tendon and is expected to return to training in April. That's a long time to have no recognised out and out striker available to the squad so I hope we go for someone in January rather than use Son out of position during that time, even if he does usually do a good job when asked to play there.

We've been linked with Krzysztof Piatek of Milan, which I think would be a decent signing. He was excellent for Genoa, and continued his good form in the first few months when Milan signed him from them. I think he's been unlucky since because, as all strikers do, he hit a barren patch, and it seems Milan instantly lost faith rather than having the patience to let him play through it. So this season he's been in and out and they never give him enough of a run of games to reestablish his rhythm.

So he could come to us for a fresh start, knows he's going to have a good three months to prove himself without having to worry about competition from Kane, could be exactly what he needs. He's not cup tied for Europe either. A bit of a punt, but one worth taking I reckon.

Comment

Worth a punt yes. Definitely need a HK and Sissoko replacement - both out until April; that's bad.

Usually what happens when HK is not there Eriksen and Son end up scoring the goals. I think it more likely now will be Lucas and Son performing that role. But we need more players and if Spurs don't buy or at least get on loan a couple of decent alternatives in this window it will be very worrying.

Some suggestions that we might be after Wilfred Zaha too. Unlikely CP will want to let him go but grease their palms with some big dosh and it might be a runner.

EDIT

Pity about the Liverpool game yesterday; not an unexpected result but Just having watched highlights on MotD with Liverpool having the upper hand in the first half Spurs were actually unlucky not to get at least a point out of it. Good performance generally though.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 12-01-2020, 15:09. Reason: typos

Comment

Yeah, before the match I and a lot of fans were thinking "Just don't get thrashed!" so I was quite surprised to end the match feeling disappointed that we'd passed up the chance to get a point.

First half I think we were a bit too defensive, and though we did have one good chance for Alli and a few other counters, we were still limiting ourselves too much and inviting more Liverpool pressure than was needed. For the majority of the half the defence did really well repelling Liverpool attacks, only the post hit from Chamberlain and Van Dijk header were brown trousers moments, so it's a shame that the only goal we conceded was again partially concentration related.

Liverpool were on top and deserved to take the lead but you don't want to give them a helping hand by letting them waltz straight into the box from a throw in. I don't blame Tanganga for Firmino getting past him, no shame in being beaten by a fantastic player with a top class touch and turn.

Second half we had a much better balance between trying to stay solid at the back and trying to take the game to Liverpool up front, and it was much more of an even contest. Then once Lo Celso and Lamela came on I think it's fair to say that we were on top for the final twenty minutes.

They were both very aggressive with their pressing and harrying and that spread throughout the team, which really helped put us firmly on the front foot. Big chance for Son from a position where he'd normally bury it, and I've no idea how the Lo Celso chance didn't go in. There was a Lo Celso ball fizzed across the six yard box that nobody got on the end of, and we had a few other moves with good build up but mediocre shots at the end.

So nothing to show for it but a lot of encouragement in the second half performance, with a number of first choice players injured, against unarguably the best team on the planet right now. The improved defensive display was very welcome, and Tanganga had a brilliant debut, not phased at all by debuting in such a big match and I don't see any reason he shouldn't keep his place in the team.

I was gonna talk about Sanchez too but I've rambled on so much already that I think I'll leave it there for now

Comment

Up the boro!

Comment

Decent game but I felt Spurs were playing at half speed most of the time, just doing enough to win but no more. I certainly hope so because there was some sloppy defending and giving that late goal away was a big embarrassment.

The two young Spurs wing backs were both very good, and Gaza#2 made some excellent saves. Lamela, Lucas, Lo Celso and Son when he came on all looked up for it with something to prove to the manager so no complaints about the performance of those guys.

We're through to the next round that is what really matters.
                Last edited by fallenangle; 15-01-2020, 15:37.

Comment

Boro made too many changes for my liking and the two goals was rank bad defending Was poor really, you expect a performance when you are on normal telly.

Comment

I thought the first half was pretty pleasing, aside from being a bit too sloppy at the back. Lamela and Lo Celso were both very good (not just the goals) and we passed up a few chances to get the third goal to make it really comfortable; the great shot from Sess, the one that went just wide from Tanganga, and the Lucas shot where he really should have fed in Eriksen for what would have been a much easier chance.

Second half was a bit disappointing because we slacked off too much and started getting sloppy with our passing, gave the ball away too much when under no pressure. We had seats right by the dugout so had a great view of Mourhino, it was quite fun watching him and his assistant reacting to the match and trying to gee up the players

So from about 60-65 minutes, while we were still fairly comfortable, you could feel that little tingle in the air that felt like that chances that Boro could nick a goal were going up and we might be in for a nervy finish if we weren't careful. While that did end up happening, thankfully it wasn't too nervy a finish, and we went closer to making it 3-1 rather than letting in another, but still disappointing not to keep a clean sheet.

As you said though, into the next round, that's the most important thing.

Woodgate and Keane seem to be doing a pretty decent job at Boro after a sticky start to the season. 8 points behind the playoff places with 16 matches left... certainly not out of the question if they can keep their current form going. Good luck to 'em.

Comment

We've signed Gedson Fernandes from Benfica on an 18 month loan deal with an option to buy (I've seen 35 million and 50 million Euros mentioned, no idea which is correct). With the prices players are going for these days I think these "try before you buy" loan deals are going to become more and more common.

I can't say I've ever seen him play, but Alasdair Gold talked about him on one of his Spurs YouTube videos and said he's predominantly a central midfielder who can also play on the right and behind the striker, so quite versatile, likes to dribble forwards with the ball and is strong in the tackle. Only just turned 20 years old, so he could be around for a while if he does well enough to make the move a permanent one.

Comment

I saw on the BBC news site that deal was in the offing - time will tell if it was a good deal. We need a defensive minded midfielder to cover for Winks and Dier (the latter I thought still looked way off 100% fit yesterday) but Fernandes sounds more like an Eriksen replacement, without the creativity but maybe a better ball winner/holder.

Still think we need another attacker, a genuinely creative midfielder and extra central defence depth to the squad.

Comment

Not exactly a Premier League classic today, but at least we got a rare clean sheet, thanks to Gazza's penalty save.

First 30 or so minutes we were the better side, put together some pretty decent build up play, but couldn't convert that into good chances at goal. After that Watford started coming into the game more and then in second half I thought they were the better side for the first half an hour, but then we started coming back into it after the penalty save and the last fifteen was fairly even. So close to nicking all three points at the death with Lamela's poke that was cleared off the line; I don't think it could have been any closer without going in.

At the moment this season reminds me a bit of when Harry Redknapp took over part way through 2008/09. We had an initial boost that got us a run of good results, but then the problems that had afflicted the team earlier in the season reared their head again and we had another dodgy run and didn't actually start pulling clear of relegation until March. Different circumstances but the results have a similar pattern to them (thus far).

Comment

I reckon that if we don't beat Norwich today the chance of a top four finish is practically over. We've been fairly lucky with the other results but if MU(5) win today, as they should, they'll be 5 points ahead even if we draw. Wolves(6) are less likely to get a good result against Liverpool tomorrow but could, potentially, be 5 points ahead too. We'll struggle to get even a top 6 finish if that happens unless one or more teams above us have an exceptionally bad run of form and Spurs have a phenomenally good one.

We can only hope.

EDIT

Good result if not convincing but the real golden lining was the MU v Burnley result. If Liverpool beat Wolves we'll all be on 34 points and it will be game on for a top six finish.

Chelsea need to be 'persuaded' to lose a few times in the coming month to keep that 4th spot in reach. Considering they have Leicester, MU and then Spurs on the 22nd Feb that could make things very interesting.

We do have the little matter of MC to face but a good result against AV is very doable. It is still, just about, in Spurs' hands.
                            Last edited by fallenangle; 25-01-2020, 23:53.

Comment

Yup, not the greatest performance but we responded well to the setback of the Norwich equaliser and got the three points.

Aurier had one of his "if he played like that every week, he'd be great," performances. Really good going forwards but combined with not shirking his responsibilities at the back. He's got seven assists now this season, second only to Alexander Arnold at Liverpool. Mourinho is playing him every week, so he won't have a better chance to find that consistency at the back.

The highlight of the match though was the performance of Giovani Lo Celso; he's really starting to find his feet in the Premier League and he was a level above everyone else on the pitch. Everything went through him going forwards and he was constantly winning the ball back too. We just need the rest of the players to start finding their form too

Everyone else ranged from iffy to okay, but it was good to see Dele and Son get back on the scoresheet and brilliant to see Hugo back in goal. Fingers well and truly crossed that we can build on this win!

-----

Saturday edit: every time I've been to Southampton, we've won. Every time my brother's been, we've lost. We both went today so I really should have put a ton of money on the draw

The match ended up being a bit of a missed opportunity. We were playing on the counter attack and doing it pretty well; first half we had about three or four great chances to take the lead, while Southampton had one (brilliant goalline clearance by Tanganga).

We started a little slowly in the second half, but got going again and took the lead with a great goal, brilliant play by Lo Celso to set it up, lovely finish by Son.

Had we kept going in the same fashion, I think we'd have won, but we started sitting back a bit too much and Southampton started creating chances. They missed some great chances to equalise before they finally did, so it was coming. A shame we couldn't have hung on for a couple more minutes, but we have to blame ourselves for not staying on the front foot enough after we took the lead.

So, an annoying end to the match, and another bloody replay, but it's still better than being out. Let's hope the last few days of the transfer window brings some good news on incomings, we really do need some rotation options to help keep the squad fresh.
                              Last edited by EJG1980; 25-01-2020, 23:44.

Comment

Very good Spurs performance today against Southampton in the FA Cup.............but yet again excellent chances to put it out of reach missed and enough chances and a lucky non-penalty decision for Southampton to have won it also. Fair result in the circumstances although we could have well done without having to replay the game.

Eriksen seems to be as good as gone to Inter but Lo Celso looks to be signed as a permanent player and just as he is getting up to speed for the Premiership. He may well be able to fill that gap very satisfactorily. Still need a striker though.
                                Last edited by fallenangle; 26-01-2020, 00:02.

Comment

Working...
                                X