No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We didn't really step off the gas that much in the second half, we were still well in control of the match with the majority of the possession and attacking threat. I get nervous very quickly when we ease up and invite teams on to us (even at 3-0!) but I never felt like we did that. A drop off from the first half, yes, but still bossing the match.

It was only really the final ten minutes when QPR looked like they might nick a consolation goal (their two really good chances came with very near the end) and I can forgive Spurs for not being quite as at it for the final ten minutes when 4-0 to the good, especially early in the season when still getting used to Poch's style of play.

Looks like Michael Dawson is finally on his way to Hull, Sky Sports are reporting that he's having his medical. I think it's time for him to move on as he has been on the decline for a season or two, but I will miss him. A great servant to the club and never anything other than 100% commitment on the pitch.

Comment

Yes, a good, solid, loyal player but flawed in that he simply never had the acceleration to deal with some of the world class strikers the Premiership has attracted. His usually intelligent positioning and great tackling ability mitigated this but only so far.

Apparently, despite what was said earlier, Southampton have put in a serious offer for Andros Townsend, presumably to beat the transfer deadline. Hope Spurs do not bite.

Comment

From what I've read they've upped their earlier ?10 million bid to ?12 million, but Sky Sports are reporting that we've rejected the offer and have stated again that he's not for sale. I guess you can never know for sure until the window closes but it looks like we want to keep him.

Edit: Michael Dawson's move to Hull City has been confirmed. Good luck Daws

Interview with MD. The club are quite rightly making a bit of a fuss over him leaving, nice to see.

Gonna need a new club captain now. I reckon it might end up being Hugo Lloris.
        Last edited by EJG1980; 26-08-2014, 20:48.

Comment

We've announced the signing of Fazio, central defender, from Sevilla.

Comment

Now that is what I'd call a good performance tonight in the Europa League. Little to complain about except Harry Kane missing the penalty and some other opportunities but otherwise both he and the whole team played very well.

Comment

Yup, everyone seemed well up for it tonight. The pressing was very good all night long, AEL barely had a moment's peace when they were on the ball, excellent work rate from every player. It was good to see the pressing leading to our first two goals too (Paulinho (I think) pressing them high in midfield for the first and then Vlad pressing on the edge of the box for the second).

The upside to Kane missing a few chances was that at least he was getting into good positions. His movement and ability to find space in the box is pretty good, if he can be coached to become more consistently clinical with his finishing he'll have a decent chance at making it in the Premier League.

Draw tomorrow at midday. Fingers crossed we can get a group that avoids long haul trips. Celtic would be nice

Comment

Well it's certainly a tougher group than last year, which is good as a competitive group is much more fun. Having said that we shouldn't have too much trouble with Asteras and Partizan, and it'd be a big surprise if the matches between Spurs and Besiktas don't decide who tops the group.

Not brilliant on the travel front, but not too nasty either (although an away trip to Belgrade is a bit hairy!) at least we avoided any trips to the depths of Ukraine, Russia, Azerbaijan, etc.

Tottenham Hotspur
                Besiktas
                FK Partizan
                Asteras Tripolis

18 Sep: Partizan Belgrade v Tottenham
                02 Oct: Tottenham v Besiktas
                23 Oct: Tottenham v Asteras Tripolis
                06 Nov: Asteras Tripolis v Tottenham
                27 Nov: Tottenham v Partizan Belgrade
                11 Dec: Besiktas v Tottenham
                Last edited by EJG1980; 29-08-2014, 13:46.

Comment

Spurs today...
                  Last edited by hudson; 31-08-2014, 14:25.

Comment

reminds me of last season.

Striker needed really

Comment

I thought it would be different this time with Ade playing, and no Suarez. However, it really should have been 7 for Liverpool (Balo's misses and Sterling dribble through 4 or 5 defender trick).

Comment

Can't we just play QPR every week instead? Clearly second best today, no complaints, the better team won.

Still early days for Pochettino though, we can expect set backs like this along the way but I'm confident we'll be able to implement his style better and more consistently as the season goes along.

If we can keep putting the lesser teams to the sword and gradually improve against the top sides, that'll do me. Hopefully we'll give a good response against Sunderland after the international break.

It'll be interesting to see if the last couple of days of the transfer window bring any surprises.

Comment

Better result than the equivalent fixture last season but they could have easily had a couple of more goals but more worryingly, from the MotD coverage, as was so often the case last season too, it looked as though Spurs made few real chances at all.

Their penalty was a bad joke, Dyer barely touched him.

Comment

Balotelli should have put away at least two chances. I didnt watch MOTD as watching live was painful enough.

Why didnt we pick him up? sure he has baggage, but i can put up with that if hes banging the goals in (which he will do)

Comment

Liverpool pay bigger wages and can offer Champions League football, so it's pretty doubtful we could have got him ahead of them. We all saw what happened with Willian last summer when he'd gone as far as completing a medical with us but buggered off to Chelsea as soon as they showed an interest.

Lots of rumours of ins and outs on the transfer front but only two confirmed deadline day deals so far: Lewis Holtby has left on a year long loan (with an option to buy at the end of it) to Hamburg, and we've completed the signing of defensive midfielder Benjamin Stambouli from Montpellier.

Comment

According to the BBC both Sandro and Fryers have gone too (QPR and Crystal Palace).

Surprised about Sandro.

Comment

Working...
                                X