No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, Villa have lost to Brighton, my false hope meter has been topped up a bit... let's see what it's like after the Liverpool match

FT edit: and the meter goes back down!

I do wanna know though, what constitutes a "bad" follow-through and what constitutes a "good" follow-through.

In the Chelsea match at WHL earlier in the season, Romero wins the ball but his foot carried on afterwards and hit the Chelsea player's leg, he was sent off and Chelsea given a penalty, explanation: "He may have won the ball, but he caught him with the follow-through so its a foul".

Today the Liverpool player wins the ball, but his foot carried on afterwards and hit Johnson in the face. No foul, no penalty, explanation: "He may have caught him with the follow-through, but he won the ball first so it isn't a foul."

Even if you ignore everything else, a boot being that high alone is given as a foul virtually everywhere else on the pitch.

Liverpool were by far the better team and I think us getting the two goals was at least somewhat down to them turning off because they were 4-0 up, as much as us playing better (although I'll say Richy, Skipp and Lo Celso did play really well when they came on, I'd like to see Richy and Lo Celso start the next match), but a penalty to make it 4-3 could have made the last few minutes a bit more interesting.
    Last edited by EJG1980; 05-05-2024, 17:42.

Comment

Liverpool winning at Anfield = predictable but with basic defensive errors and Liverpool's high pressing going 4 - 0 down was not good at all.

I was watching on MotD and I just couldn't believe Spurs were actually trying to play out from the back again and again in such circumstance, particularly when the longer ball would have relieved the pressure and resulted in a possible three on three or even four on three Spurs' counter attack.

Danny Murphy in the MotD studio made exactly the same point after the match too. It was implicitly criticising both the players, for not taking the responsibility of mixing up the distribution from the back and Ange, presumably, telling them not to do that and not changing it when it was clearly the wrong tactic.

Depressing result although the two goals we did get were taken/made very well and good to see Richarlison involved in both.

AV messed up their game against Brighton and I did not want to think about the 'what ifs' as I believe it is too late but just one win and and a draw from the matches we lost and Spurs would now be nipping at their heels.

Spurs' Women's FA Cup Final against MU next weekend to look forward too - perhaps Spurs will get their hands on some silverware this season after all. It'll improve my mood if they do.
      Last edited by fallenangle; Yesterday, 12:12.

Comment

Gotta get back on track with a good result and performance against Burnley at the weekend. Our last four matches have made what was a very comfortable gap back to sixth place a bit more precarious, but a win against Burnley and Sheffield United would guarantee fifth place regardless of other team's results. Anything against Man City would be a bonus, but the other two matches are ones where the players have to make sure they don't slip up.

Speaking of the women's FA Cup final, my younger brother and I both got a ticket, so I'm looking forward to that. First time I've been back to Wembley since Spurs spent the season there.

I went to the 2009 and 2015 League Cup finals, both of which we lost, so I'm hoping that this one will be third time lucky

Comment

Beth England and Jessica Naz are where the Spurs goals are likely to come from so lets hope they're on form. But without MU's on loan Grace Clinton who Spurs are at a disadvantage. However Drew Spence seems to be stepping up to the mark recently in the midfield and played an important part in getting the draw in their last WSL game against Everton.

That was a good result; I won't use the term Spursy , but it was a very mens' Spurs-like performance: going down 2 - 0 but fighting back to almost grab win at the end. That sort of result I would thought does a lot for the confidence, shows the right attitude and backbone and that they won't just capitulate if they go behind in the final at any point.

Hope that is what it means but that's what I want to see: Spurs Women fighting right to the finish whatever the final result.

Comment

Working...
          X