User Tag List

Page 173 of 173 FirstFirst ... 73163171172173
Results 1,721 to 1,725 of 1725
    Another bonkers result today against Bournemouth. 3-0 with under 20 minutes to go and then we give away another 2 goals for it to end up 3-2.

DA's form continues to improve and apparently he had one of his best matches yet. That is great news if a long time coming. But something has to be done about our defensive frailty, that is for sure. 10 goals score sinced JM took over but 6 let in - that is not top four stats.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 01-12-2019 at 01:23 AM.

Well technically, if we keep on winning every match 3-2 or 4-2....

But yes, we need to cut out the defensive lapses. I think a lot of it is down to concentration, which hopefully shouldn't be too hard for Mourhino to fix, just needs a lot of drilling it into them in training. In general we were pretty decent at the back today (Bournemouth had a lot of shots but many were long range).

Dele was excellent again today, he really has been the biggest beneficiary of Mourinho coming in. Being able to play further up the pitch, just behind Kane, allows him to have a lot more influence on the game than in a deeper role. Moment of the match though had to be Sissoko's goal, not only because it was so unexpected, but because it was so good! A finish that a world class striker would have been proud of.

It's good that Jose has got us looking much more potent up front from day one though. There's definitely a bit more directness about our play, but it's not unattractive and I think it's something we used to have under Poch and lost a bit of; the good old Alderweireld diagonal ball to Dele, goal, is nice to see again.

Attacking wise, the one thing that let us down today was how many chances we passed up. So many times we got into a great position and just needed an easy final ball to put someone in for an easy finish, but the pass was poor. Again though, with more time hopefully Mourhino can get us fully clicking and a performance like today would result in a couple of extra goal.

Not perfect, still a lot to work on, but three wins from three is a very good start. Big match away against Man Utd up next, I expect Jose is looking forward to that one.

Poor performance tonight, can't complain about the result, didn't really deserve anything from the match.

Despite the fact that Man Utd were definitely the better side, it's annoying that poor play from us played a big part in both goals; poor clearance from Sanchez and iffy near post keeping from Gazza, and then a silly foul from Sissoko to give away the penalty. Also annoying that we should have had the momentum from our last gasp first half equaliser, and we gift it back to them with that penalty within a minute of the restart.

At least the goal from Alli was brilliant, wonderful skill and finish. The lone highlight of the night for us though!

Still, it's early days, and all the problems we've had this season weren't going to go away overnight just because Mourinho came in. Need to try and bounce back straight away at the weekend.

Yep, was listening t it on BBC5L and later saw it on MotD. Back to old Spurs being slow out of the starting blocks and making some unnecessary mistakes giving away a goal then not really getting back into the game at all.

Agree too: that excellent DA goal was the only real highlight for us.

Quote Originally Posted by EJG1980 View Post
    I'm interested to see what kind of team we send to Munich now. They're guaranteed first and us second no matter what the result is, it's in the middle of a very busy period of PL fixtures, so I wonder if Jose will be tempted to rest a number of the big name stars for that match.
    I got my answer to the above question today. From today's press conference when asked about our defence:

"Yeah, but we have to sort out the defence without losing what we have in attack. We conceded two in each game but we scored in all of them and could have scored even more than we did.

"But you are right. We are conceding too much, and conceding some cheap goals and we have to try to stop it. The best way to do that is to work and we haven't had time to work.

"After the United game, yesterday was a day of complete recovery and today was the second recovery day, the day before the next game. So the conditions to work on the pitch are not the best. So less work, more analysis, more meetings, more talk.

"I'm not a meeting coach. I am a pitch coach, that's where I really like to coach, on the pitch, and that is where you can accelerate the process. So let's wait a little bit until next week where we have of course the Bayern match, a match where I'm going to rest some players. So I will work with the players who are not going to be involved and let's wait also for the week before the Chelsea game.

"It's on the pitch where we can really improve things. But to analyse, to comment, to coach in the meeting room helps. So hopefully we get some positive things after some negative things we have had."

I think it's probably the right call. I can see an argument for playing a full strength side as if they could get a win it'd be a great confidence boost, but that match will be our sixth in a row with only two or three days break between each match (with a seventh against Wolves three days later).

I think the chance to give our best players a full week between matches, with the chance to properly train and rest, will be more useful in the long run than getting a result in a dead rubber. And any "fringe" players who do replace first choice players in that match, have a chance to impress against a really strong opponent.