No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I listened to most of the first half on R5L and when they scored the second and half-time came I'd had enough thinking that, as predicted, Barca were going to give us a drubbing. I started watching The Apprentice and occasionally switched back to check what scoreline horror was developing and timed it just perfectly to hear that great Spurs fightback which could have gained us a draw.

It wasn't to be but all the pundits and commentators agreed that the final score was no reflection on the Spurs performance. They played well enough throughout and very well, particularly in that second half spell. It was just that Barca + Messi played better.

Pity. It is going to make getting through this group stage difficult to say the least. It is still doable as you say but if we lose again that's it.

Saturday Edit

Cardiff today and if we don't get three points from this game I think Spurs', admittedly significant, injury list is not going to be much of an excuse.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 06-10-2018, 12:04.

Comment

Not a great performance today, disjointed and a bit weird, but with flashes of good stuff.

I thought Cardiff did very well, especially first half, and I’d say from about the 20th to 40th minute they were the better team and unlucky not to equalise with their shot that we cleared off the line. They didn’t threaten as much in the second half, but still had one glorious chance to equalise that Lloris pushed onto the post (I think, it was the opposite end of the pitch).

We started well and got the exact start you’d want against a team likely to sit deep, with the early goal. Didn’t kick on from that though, but we sparked into life at the end of the first half with chances for Lucas and Son that should have made it 2-0. Another great chance at the start of the second half where a Lucas shot was cleared off the line after it spilled to him from a save from a Kane shot.

Can’t remember any other massive chances for us though. Lots of possession and getting into semi-dangerous positions without finding the final pass to take advantage. Even Cardiff going down to ten men didn’t make a huge difference. Perked up a bit when Lamela came on, as usual, our tempo just seems to shift up a notch when he’s on the pitch.

So not a great performance, but three points is three points however you get them. And, considering that we haven’t been firing on all cylinders yet this season, and have a lot of injuries, six wins from eight isn’t a shabby start at all.

Comment

Lucas is turning out to be a very good buy but he doesn't have the same clinical finishing as HK, a problem DA has as well.

As they were saying on MotD HK's role yesterday was more like a number 10 with Son and Lucas up front and I'm not sure the side or HK looks happy with that formation. HK has cited Teddy Sheringham before as an influence and I think that is what he was trying to do yesterday - holding up the ball and feeding the others.

I just don't see him making his most effective contributions being played like that. Teddy Sheringham's best strike partnership work was always done alongside another striker of equal and complimentary ability: Klinsman, Shearer and Solskjær. None of the other Spurs current players are of that class in an attacking role..

Comment

Yeah, it's been noticeable in a few matches this season that he's often been playing deeper with someone like Lucas further ahead of him on the pitch. Although our front players do rotate a lot during the 90 mins and there were plenty of times against Cardiff (for example) when Kane was the player furthest forward.

Funnily enough the same thing happened for England quite a bit during the world cup, where he was often a bit deeper with Sterling being the furthest forward. Must be under instructions from the manager(s) to do it. He can play very well when dropping deep, holds the ball up very well and has is capable of playing some superb passes, but I would like to see him do it a little bit less.

It'll be interesting to see where he is on the pitch most of the time for England tonight.

Comment

He didn't score but had chances, particularly that header - just a touch less power or more spin and it would have dropped under the bar. Dier's header too could have easily gone in, ironically all that needed was a little less spin.

HK was played much more as a conventional striker and despite some mild criticism of his positional play from the ITV pundits I think the England team had a pretty decent match.

Comment

^^ I agree. I thought the first half, sans Dier's header, was one of the dullest halves of football I've ever seen! Second half was much better though and England really should have won. Unlucky with Kane's header and two superb chances spurned by Rashford. But in general all around play, the second half was pretty good.

I've just seen the England team for tonight, delighted that Harry Winks is getting a start. After battling back from months of injury to get back into the Spurs side, and now being called up and getting a start for England, he must feel like he's made it to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Edit: England 3-0 up at half time A world class display from Kane in that first half. A key part in the move for the first, great run and assist for the third, but the second goal was the best; brilliant holdup play from Pickford's goal kick and then an excellent pass through to Rashford. Deserves a goal for himself in the second half.

No goal for Kane but we barely had the ball at all in the second half, let alone enough to get it to the front players! Did well to grind out the win though despite all the pressure from Spain.
              Last edited by EJG1980; 15-10-2018, 20:54.

Comment

Absolutely fantastic England first half with HK's hold-up play, particularly for the second goal, world class. That IS how to do it.

But second half it was like a different match. A bit lucky to hold on bearing in mind the number of chances the Spanish had.

Pickford had an 'interesting' game both brilliant and bonkers in equal measure. He got himself into trouble and could easily have been sent off but indeed his quick distribution was key to England's success in the first half.

Apart from HK the other Spurs players all had very good games too, particularly Trippier who, apart from one mistake shown in the ITV highlights, yet again put in a notable performance in both attack and defence.

Comment

Tough match today, a very hard fought win decided by a couple of moments of quality from Sissoko and Lamela. They were the best two players, along with Winks. Moura also had his moments but faded a bit in the second half after a bright run near the start.

First half was pretty even, but I'd say we just about shaded it. Second half West Ham were the better side and putting lots of pressure on us without creating many clear cut chances; Lloris only had to make two good saves (and he shouldn't have needed to make the second one as Hernandez was clearly offside in the build up) but it was nervy and I was glad when it was over!

A vital three points though, and now our highest points total after nine matches in the Premier League era.

Comment

Just watched the highlights on MotD.

As said tough match, Spurs often seem to make it hard work beating WH.

Indeed Lloris = excellent and Lamela is having a fine run of form this season since he came back. With Winks and Lucas looking good (even if the latter does seem to run out of steam) too the midfield starting line up is spoiled for choice.

Have to mention MU's Martial again as a potential Spurs transfer target in January: why is it whenever Spurs, apparently, show some interest in him Mourinho suddenly notices he's actually a quality player and starts using him more? His movement, quick reaction and clinical finishing for the two goals he scored against Chelsea were top class.

Wednesday 24.10.18 Edit

Very big match this evening. Lose and short of a miracle we're out of the CL.

COYS!
                    Last edited by fallenangle; 24-10-2018, 11:09.

Comment

Oh Hugo

Overall a very good performance. Aside from the mistakes the only real negative was not taking one of our good chances that would have made it 3-1.

Dominated the match, went behind totally against the run of play thanks to a rare and inexplicable mistake from Alderweireld. One equaliser from Sanchez incorrectly ruled out, but luckily we then did get one through Lucas. Second half much the same, Spurs well on top, deservedly took the lead through Kane, and we're really comfortable and well in charge.... and then Hugo.

I've defended him before but the mistakes are now starting to become all too frequent, especially in what you'd consider the bigger games. Down to ten men and unfortunately we couldn't hold on, a misskick from a PSV player finds its way though to their forward who pulls them level. Gutting. We actually had a couple of chances to score again when down to ten men, but it looks like it's going to be a frustrating CL campaign this time.

Still technically not out (and though I haven't looked at the table) but we surely we'll need three wins from three, including winning in Barca, and results to go our way. I'm usually very optimistic but....

I do worry for Hugo now, as once a goalkeeper gets a reputation for being mistake prone it almost becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and it's very hard to come back from.
                      Last edited by EJG1980; 24-10-2018, 19:01.

Comment

I was listening to it on the BBC's red button and it sounded like we were playing very well but a couple of mistakes and, more importantly I feel, not converting more of the goal scoring opportunities created that has cost us dear.

I found several apt quotes online about the match:-

"Spurs have absolutely battered PSV 2-2"

"“You can never, ever underestimate Spurs’ ability to Spurs it up.”

"I love this Spurs team, but I suppose I’d also love my dog even if he kept urinating upon my favourite rug. They just frustrate the heck out of me."

This was always going to be a very tough group to get out of but Spurs were/are good enough to have done that. But short of a miracle it does look like we're out of the CL now which is a big pity.

Lloris has made just those sort of unforced errors and bad decisions right from when he started at Spurs but had learned to dial back that 'maverick' behaviour. The fact it is re-emerging a little too often now is a bit concerning.

Comment

The first match in the new stadium won't be until 2019 now:

Since we last provided an update on the progress of the new stadium on 3 September, 2018, we have been working hard with the contractors involved in the critical safety systems.

It's a shame, but nothing the club or fans can do apart from grin and bear it.

Comment

Aggh, why did Lamela have to choose that moment to lose his recent scoring touch?

City were the better side, and deserved to win, but it was far from a walkover. After the early goal I was expecting them to be bombarding us all night long but there were only really two (possibly three) very good chances they squandered to score another goal.

We did okay, especially in the second half, worked really hard and were on the front foot a lot of the time, but didn't quite have the cutting edge needed to turn the hard work into a goal threat. We looked more creative when Alli and Eriksen came on (great play from Alli in the build up to the Lamela chance) and hopefully they can stay injury free for the rest of the season.

I agree with Poch's assessment; last season in the corresponding match we couldn't get near them, but tonight we were competitive and hung in there with a chance to get something until the end. Disappointing to lose but I'm not massively downhearted by a 1-0 loss to the 100 point champions.

Edit:

Nice bit of news this morning, Dele Alli has signed a new six year contract. I think it's now only Eriksen of the "big names" that hasn't signed a new long term deal this season or last (oh, and Toby!). Hopefully we can get him tied up too soon.

Also, Glenn Hoddle is said to be responding well to treatment after his heart attack, so hopefully he will be fully recovered and out of the woods soon.
                            Last edited by EJG1980; 30-10-2018, 12:09.

Comment

On the BBC text news pages they reported after the game yesterday that it was "dominant City..." performance. I was dipping in and out of it on BBC5 and it sounded to me like MC, whilst the better team were content playing to contain Spurs once they had the goal. They were happy to settle for a counter attacking game confident that their defence wouldn't give us many opportunities to score.

I think that tactic was paying Spurs a degree of respect knowing we were just as capable of doing much the same thing as they were. MC scored, we did not take our few opportunities (one very good as you described) so they won. A bit of a pity but not unexpected.

Comment

Good match this evening, both sides going for it, some nice goals, and we're through to the quarter-final. Good to see Son grab a couple as he hasn't quite been himself when he's played this season (they were his first goals in about 19 matches, stretching back to last season) and more fitness into the legs of Alli and Eriksen. Nice goal from Llorente too, with some good hold up play and lays offs during the match.

Man of the match for me though was Juan Foyth, I've always liked him whenever he's had the chance to play but tonight he was superb. Brilliant blocks, fantastic tackles, and plays the ball out of defence really well. I really think he could step up if he gets the chance. His performance must have caught the eye as scoring two goals nearly always guarantees you man of the match, but Juan Foyth is currently waaaaay out ahead on the Spurs twitter vote with 60%, Son trailing behind on 36%.

Edit: a nice low key affair away against Arsenal in the quarters
                                Last edited by EJG1980; 31-10-2018, 22:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X