Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Mario Kart and Sonic Racing cross over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Mario Kart and Sonic Racing cross over?

I'm not sure where to post this, but there's speculation about this on Nintendo Life after some interesting tweets about a follow up to Sonic Racing Transformed, which could be the third Sonic game on Wii U/3DS.

Here's the link to article on Nintendo Life.

It'd be interesting to see what tracks Sumo could come up with using the Mushroom Kingdom et al.
    Last edited by Party boy; 18-05-2013, 18:58.

I just sort of the kart/flying/boat mechanics if they do. I think the driving sections were fine but the boat/flying sections they should have gone down the Diddy Kong route which got it perfect.

I am actually not too fond with their track design as well. If you look at Mario Karts and Diddy Kong tracks and compare them to Sonic Racing they pale in comparison.

They have made a respectable racing game but I think it has a long way to go.

Comment

I don't disagree from a track design view, but they were good in terms of paying fan service to some classic games. I agree about the boats and planes as well.

They could be doing a Diddy Kong Racing and not officially announcing it 'til after Mario kart comes out, which would explain why they didn't provide any details about the 3rd Sonic game.

Comment

I'd kind of love it but the series has only managed enough sales via multiformat releases and with Mario Kart 8 on the way I don't think this is the best way of getting the most of the deal. Still, I guess using the Transformed engine would make it cheap to develop which could help... just kind of answered my opening point

So, Mario and Sonic Racing anyone?

Comment

I believe Mario and Sonic at the Olympics has sold over 22m altogether and Mario Kart Wii sold over 24m alone, so there's certainly the potential to do well, it should have broader appeal than an Olympics game, since core gamers would be more likely to buy it, and casual or 'non-gamers' just as likely potentially. With it being dual format as well it could even outsell Mario Kart Wii, especially since it'd have Sonic as well as Mario. Assuming Nintendo turn things round with the Wii U, which they have the huge franchises to do so with, certainly.

Personally I hope the handling will be a bit more like Mario Kart, rather than just Sonic Racing with Mario characters and tracks.

Comment

My guess is that, with Mario Kart 8 supposedly close to final, this would move further from MK's control style. Playing on the All-Stars aspect could be awesome though, Samus?

Comment

Yeah, that's true of course. Maybe they'll stick with Mario, then expand it with a sequel, I think the Mario universe deserves an in-depth fan service for the first one!

Comment

Absolutely, wanted the Mario Kart series to use the other Ninty franchises for years

Comment

On a side note, I'd love to see the likes of Dr Robotnik in the next Smash Bros.

Comment

Mario kart games are pretty awful compared the Sonic All star Racing. All stars doesn't suffer from Yoyo finishes like all Mario Kart game s, it has far better track designs, much more character variety, better play mechanics and in my opinion more interesting characters. The only good Mario Kart game after the original was the arcade game by Namco.

Comment

Character wise...I always find the Sonic games lacking. There just isn't the depth in quality compared to Nintendo. I'd prefer Mario Kart with a special guest appearance by Sonic and 3-4 of his chums (or enemies).

Comment

The Sonic games are fun but lack the PUNCH that MK offers. Just not as solid. The weapons feel weak too whereas in MK you plan your attacks, are able to defend with offensive weapons etc.

Comment

...But we need to be able to customise weapons. Getting jipped with a blue on the last corner hurts every time! Just purely unfair.

Comment

Sonic all star was pretty good but it does hammer home how poor the Sega character roster is. The flying sections were pretty terrible as well, although the boat sections were decent enough. Sonic and one or two others in a Mario kart game would be fine - hopefully they'll leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by 25.05.2005 View Post
                              Character wise...I always find the Sonic games lacking. There just isn't the depth in quality compared to Nintendo.
                              I want fat sonic and maybe fat tails. The rest of the Sonic characters can face death by firing squad.

Comment

Working...
                              X