No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little late this week but it is finally here. battle of the Ports first true RPG coverage.
    No, Popful Mail doesn't count

Comment

I love the English OP for Lunar SegaCD. Shame the PC release never made it outside of Asia.

Comment

This week on BOTP, an Amiga Game that was raved about.

Comment

Can we have an episode about Bad Street Brawler. Surely a game as turd as that would make for an interesting show.

And Out Run Europa.

Comment

Pinball Dreams is an absolute classic IMO. Great ball physics, great music, and four great tables at a time when most other pinball games were just one or two tables. Plus it was the first pinball game to my knowledge to replicate the LED score ticker of real pinball tables, a feature that carried over into almost every pinball sim since then. Yes, the later Fantasies and Illusions may have surpassed Dreams, but the original set the bar for these types of game and deserves its place in the history of the genre.

I was hankering for a play of it recently actually, and as I don’t own an Amiga any more and my main emulation machine is an RG-350M I opted for the SNES port. It’s almost as good but one thing I do notice is due to the lower resolution the table scrolls horizontally as well as vertically and is a bit more hectic as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathAdder View Post
              Can we have an episode about Bad Street Brawler. Surely a game as turd as that would make for an interesting show.

And Out Run Europa.
              That would be fun but where to start? There are so many ****ty Street brawlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                That would be fun but where to start? There are so many ****ty Street brawlers.
                You know I'm talking about a specific game - Bad Street Brawler, right? I didn't mean an episode generally about various bad side-scrolling brawlers. I think Bad Street Brawler got about half a dozen ports.

Comment

Having done a quick google, I didn't realise this was Street Hassle in Europe. I remember that on the Speccy. **** name either way.

Comment

Oh, I thought you were talking about ****ty games . I've never heard of Bad Street Brawler. I'll have to take a look in to that one for sure.
                    As long as I can get hold of the different ports, I can do a video on it.

Comment

It's an absolute turd. You play as a guy wearing swimming trunks and wellies taking on tiny women (who sometimes fly), old men with carving knife blades, really fat men, tiny dogs (who you just turn over and flip onto their backs) and gorillas. The humour is cringeworthy and the collision detection is awful. The final kick in the teeth is that the selection of moves at your disposal changes from one level to the next. The best move for me was the roundhouse kick, so I was really pissed off when it was taken away from me in a later level.

I played the MS Dos version years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        This week on BOTP, an Amiga Game that was raved about.
                        Great to see you cover Pinball Dreams it really was a great title. I did notice you are missing the PlayStation Mini version which is the best port of the game! I don't know if it was release in Japan, you could press select to switch the table sideways as well in that version looks amazing on a wide scree TV.

Have a look at the stream we did, the visuals look great in this version:

Last time I check this mini version works on PS Vita, PlayStation 3 and PSP, both games were still up on PSN to buy in Europe.
                        Last edited by S3M; 09-02-2022, 22:59.

Comment

Need to find out if it will work with emulation. Would love to have that on my RG350M!

Comment

The original is an all time classic but how is this follow up?
                            Let's check out Rastan Saga II on this week's battle of the Ports.

Comment

This week's Battle of the Ports has a little something special featured after the main ports.

Comment

It’s not just one of the best beat ‘em ups of all time, it’s one of the best games. Up there with the likes of SMW, Super Metroid and Rondo; games I never tire of and can play time and time again.

The Gamegear port looks mighty impressive, I got to say.

Comment

Working...
                                X