Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
    Chase HQ on the speccy beats just about all versions hands down!
    0_o have you played the Amstrad version

Comment

One thing some of the Space Harrier games get wrong is that the character is meant to ping back to the centre of the screen when not pushed in certain directions, may have been tough to nail down on digital controls though the Saturn version with the 3D pad is where that's at.

Ps these are conversions in the main, not ports /pedantic

Comment

Thanks Yakumo, that was great!

You'll never beat the arcade version. Playing that massive hydraulic cab whilst it shouts "Welcome to the Fantasy Zone, get ready!" was a real assault on the senses.

To clarify, was the gun that your character uses also his means of flight? I'd have considered attaching a seat.

Always loved the robot design in this.

Comment

I'm glad you guys are liking the video. I'm working on the next one tonight but was wondering if I should add a bit of commentary describing the controls and so on.

Comment

Or, so not to talk over the lovely audio, you could do what those old music video TV shows used to do and put text based facts on the bottom of the screen in a lovely neon pink text box. Keeping it all retro and that

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
              0_o have you played the Amstrad version
              I'll get yer!

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                Or, so not to talk over the lovely audio, you could do what those old music video TV shows used to do and put text based facts on the bottom of the screen in a lovely neon pink text box. Keeping it all retro and that
                Hey, good idea

Comment

would ask for streetfighter 2 played it on the amiga years ago and even think there was a spectrum port

Good show cannot wait for more

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                    would ask for streetfighter 2 played it on the amiga years ago and even think there was a spectrum port

Good show cannot wait for more
                    Damn how bad was the Amiga port??

My mate didn't have any consoles back in the day & that was his only home version & it was just so shocking.

Don't remember a speccy version but do recall Street Fighter having one

Actually you are right there was a speccy version...

Looks ok but no idea how it would have played

Neil

Comment

It came on a huge C120 tape too.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        It came on a huge C120 tape too.
                        Just read the World of Spectrum review & they gave it a whacking 89% & by all accounts it's not bad just the horrendous load times (which you'd expect anyway) let it down.

Was interesting reading the review though...

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                          Damn how bad was the Amiga port??

My mate didn't have any consoles back in the day & that was his only home version & it was just so shocking.

Don't remember a speccy version but do recall Street Fighter having one

Actually you are right there was a speccy version...

Looks ok but no idea how it would have played

Neil
                          amiga version was very slow plus it was a pain to only have one button though i think it was possible to use a megadrive joypad to be honest the best fighting game on the amiga was either body blows or shadow fighter

Comment

What many people don't realise about the western ports of Japanese games (done predominantly for home computers, but some even for consoles) with as the Sega and Capcom ports in the 80s is that the developers did not have access to the source code. They literally had to try and replicate the whole game by eye and ear. This only began to change when Capcom were so shocked by the Amiga, Atari ST etc. ports of Street Fighter 2 that they actually decided to provide the source code for the Amiga port of Super Street Fighter 2, which is why it's so much better.

Of course, the in-house Sega and Capcom ports did not have this problem.

Really interesting video, though one small suggestion if that's okay! I think it's probably best to disable all filters if recording the game running in an emulator. Many of the versions featured in the video clearly have some sort of filter enabled within the emulator. This includes scanline filters. I think this makes for a much fairer comparison (as some emulators have better filters than others, some filters work better on some formats etc.), but would also be more representative of recording the game from a proper console!

Otherwise, great.

Comment

Yeah the filters are going but actually only the PC Engine was using filters. Ill leave filters on for the arcade version bug other consoles can.lose them. This will be from the 3rd video though because Ive already filmed the 2nd one.

Comment

Chase HQ on the Spectrum had a brillinat ending. I wonder if the arcade had the same ending. Streetfighter 2 on the Amiga was a sick joke. IK+ was the best Amiga fighter, nothing else came close.

Comment

Working...
                                X