No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yakumo, any reason you only included the MD port of Space Harrier II, as the Amiga port of the sceond game was so much better than the first game.

Sady the Amiga was dogged with many awful arcade port, with lazy ST Port or lack of original source code as shakey mentions. It's a shame as the Amiga in terms of power put the MD & SNES to shame.

Comment

Hmm, no reason really. Not sure why I even put it on there. I love Space Harrier but think Space Harrier II is pretty awful. Even the soundtrack is pants.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
        It's a shame as the Amiga in terms of power put the MD & SNES to shame.
        Erm no. Certainly not the OCS or ECS systems.

Comment

A new battle of the ports is now online - R-Type! check it out right here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKSxH1-aEx8

Comment

Jesus H Christ, you're not kidding PC-Engine fans can be touchy. You know why? Because the HuCard version of the game, whether it be across two cards or not is easily amongst the greatest things about R-Type outside of the arcade original. Yes, I adored and played to death the master system version, but nothing compared to the impact of the PCE version in 1988. Your comments on the vid are almost as if you just went to wikipedia and quoted the bollocks on there. As much as I love the PCE i'm happy to admit it wasn't the biggest hitter of the era and was outclassed by the more powerful SFC and MD in many ways, but for you to say the MS version was the greatest on 8-bit is just plain wrong, the PCE version decimates it, and it is also an 8-bit system, NOT 16-bit as everyone seems to forget. Rubbish.

Comment

Any chance of a Final Fight comparison?

Comment

I would love to see a Garou comparison, Mame Vs Dreamcast if its possible?

Comment

Well, I don't like the PC Engine version of R-Type. The screen scrolls up and down! It's changing the way the game plays. But hey, that's my opinion and I'n sticking to it It's not like I'm saying the PC Engine is a load of crap or anything. I quite like the system.

Hmm, the next Battle of the Ports is now made. I'll be uploading it in a week. Final Fight would be a good one to do as would Garou but I think there is already a Garou one on YouTube. I remember seeing it a few months back.

Comment

Robocop would be nice... lots of ports with varying quality.

And PCE R-Type > SMS R-Type.

Comment

Master System version wins hands down, especially with FM sound.

Comment

Battle of the Ports - Ghosts'n Goblins is now on YouTube.

The official high quality version will be arriving this week. Check back here for a link.

Comment

PCE R-Type p1sses over all other ports in that era. Immense technical achievement that doesn't get the credit it deserves today because gamers have been spoilt by the massive leaps and bounds that have come on in console hardware since then.

Anybody on here trying to claim otherwise hasn't the slightest clue about gaming. End of.

Comment

I hold R-Type on PCE in the highest regard. One of the more inexpensive titles on the PCE but also one of the finest.

Shame it's on two cards for the sake of doing a 1cc run attempt, but other than that it's great. Though this was fixed for the US release I suppose.

Yakumo mentions that the camera isn't fixed which was an niggle to him but I didn't notice it to be a huge issue myself.

Other than that it's basically identical, from what I've played on Final Burn Alpha.

Comment

Wow! That Wonderswan version looks and sounds lovely!

Comment

No real point doing a BotP on Final Fight, imo (as much as it is one of my all-time faves). The Sharp x68000 version obliterates the competition without question - largely due to the fact that Capcom used the x68000 to develop all the CPS-1 games, hence the total 1:1 arcade perfection.

Street Fighter 2 was bang on-the-money too, again for the reasons listed above, bar minor sound issues (which were fixable with extra drivers).

Comment

Working...
                                X