Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S3M View Post
    Love that intro, not heard anyone call it Galaaga myself, but it only takes one sucker, who thinks it sounds cool to spread it like wildfire on the net. Like that idiot from gamefaqs, who put out the myth that the Japanese version of Saturn DOOM was miles better, than the USA version. It had some minor changes that were also in the PAL version as the USA version released first, but not much else.
    Some people in the USA can't even say SEGA right , never mind the speech in SONIC LOL. I've seen some people on USA forums make out the Japanese versions of Tomb Raider and Touring Cars are better too on the Saturn

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
      The conclusion is that we have no idea why, but Americans seem to have their own special interpretation of how to say Japanese brand names where extra vowels and peculiar syllable emphasis can be added at random. It seems this now includes game titles too!
      In general Americans love stressing an ‘a’ and making it sound like ‘ah’.... paaahsta, Nataaah-sha etc etc. Maaahzda falls into the same convention so nothing really to do with it being of Japanese origin, moreso just their typical abuse of the vernacular

Comment

Capcom classic this week with 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          Some people in the USA can't even say SEGA right ,
          I say it like the intro in the original Sonic, so I hope that's correct. But there's always a worry with Japanese stuff that you're pronouncing things wrong. Gradius, for example, is pronounced a few different ways. British people seem to hate pronouncing 'Taito' properly -- it annoys them that it's Tay-toe.

I know I'll never get everything right with Japanese games, but I'm happy to learn the error of my ways. I started saying 'Gradius' properly a while back after calling it 'Gray-dius' for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            I say it like the intro in the original Sonic, so I hope that's correct. But there's always a worry with Japanese stuff that you're pronouncing things wrong.
            Of coruse it is. Play Astal or Switch and also hear the correct way to pronounce SEGA.

Comment

I've always pronounced it "graddius". And Taito "tate-O" (like "potato")...although many say "tight-O"...I'm still not sure on the latter, tbh.

I used to call SEGA "seega" for yonks until Sonic came out. And even then it took a decent transition period to alter my pronunciation!

Comment

(and let's not forget TATE mode. Tatty mode)

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  (and let's not forget TATE mode. Tatty mode)
                  Sod that, it’s tate like the gallery, not “tah-tay”.

Whilst we’re at it, what also makes my piss boil is the Youtube generation causing native Brits to mid-pronounce stuff. The amount of times I’ve seen some hipster millennial refer to the “bay-tah” version of a game. It’s beta, “beeeeeta”, God damnit!
                  Last edited by samanosuke; 18-01-2020, 15:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    Capcom classic this week with 1942

Used to love playing this game in the Arcades when I was little kid

Comment

Was one of my top 3 arcade games, back in the day, and I persuaded my mam to get us a C64 for this title and Paperboy, expecting them to look and feel much closer to the arcade than the blue n' silent (but good!) Speccy ports.

How wrong I was. Your one-word description of the C64 version is spot on. It's rank and was my most-hated game on the system, it's rubbish!!!

Comment

For me personally, the best game in the 19xx series by far is 1941: Counter Attack

Though I suspect that the majority would state 1944: The Loop Master as their favourite.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 19-01-2020, 20:50.

Comment

It's a damn fine series of shooters. I even like 1943 with its annoying power up and fuel system.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            Used to love playing this game in the Arcades when I was little kid
                            This and Legend of Kage used to be the two games our local swimming pool had.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              I've always pronounced it "graddius". And Taito "tate-O" (like "potato")...although many say "tight-O"...I'm still not sure on the latter, tbh.

I used to call SEGA "seega" for yonks until Sonic came out. And even then it took a decent transition period to alter my pronunciation!
                              Ah, Taito is actually pronounced Tie toe in English which is close enough. The actual name is Ta ee toe. If you play the Bubble Bobble games on Saturn it actually says the logo. My memory is fuzzy but I think it says something stupid like "catch the heart, Taito"

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                                Sod that, it’s tate like the gallery, not “tah-tay”.

Whilst we’re at it, what also makes my piss boil is the Youtube generation causing native Brits to mid-pronounce stuff. The amount of times I’ve seen some hipster millennial refer to the “bay-tah” version of a game. It’s beta, “beeeeeta”, God damnit!
                                It's actually ta te, so ta as in tablet and te as in tennis.
                                Guys, feel free to ask me any Japanese pronunciation

Comment

Working...
                                X