No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always found it really fun on the Saturn! I had an Action Replay, it was one of the few imports I had for my PAL SS, along with GOLDEN AXE: THE DUEL, HANG ON GP and GRAN CHASER.

It might not have ran brilliantly but it was certainly a lot smoother than Gran Chaser!!!! A very fun game if you ignore the rough cosmetics!!!!!

Comment

Also the first appearance of Sonic...
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
        I always found it really fun on the Saturn! I had an Action Replay, it was one of the few imports I had for my PAL SS, along with GOLDEN AXE: THE DUEL, HANG ON GP and GRAN CHASER.

It might not have ran brilliantly but it was certainly a lot smoother than Gran Chaser!!!! A very fun game if you ignore the rough cosmetics!!!!!
        Gran Chacer and Gale Racer are two games I mastered back in the day. Still wish I had my save files for those.

Comment

I really liked a lot of the colours in Gran Chaser, plus it had a lot of neat design, it wasn't no HI-OCTANE cardboard box-as-car bollocks. .

Sadly, it all ran at a variable frame rate of betwixt 3-7.4fps. And also had loads of these horrible ninety degree turns that really weren't fun at such a flipbook frame rate!!!!

However, sonically and cosmetically, this has LOADS to offer!

I would relish a simple, 1080/60/widescreen reissue that simply made the game smoother and more fun to play.

Let's just face it, it would be much easier to rejig the parameters of this and re-release it, rather than create an all-out reboot of a shid old game, like SHAQ FU did.

Nobody wanted that pile of shide, nobody bought it and it took actual EFFORT to make.

Whereas, with THIS, just pop it thru the HD machine, leave it as is with cheevz and price it aboot £12.99 on the Microsoft Store.

Would be a day one purchase for me, no question.

Comment

Tbh, if I see the SHAQ FU reboot in a sale at Mastertronic prices (ie. £1.99 or less*) then I'll likely snatch it up, play it as a cheap, fun game, appraise it as that.

It doesn't look awful, it looks playable and competently generic enough in its design to be an ACTUAL, modern era budget action game thang.

Whereas, the original was a horrendously unfun 1-on-1 beat 'em up that made one feel sick and depressed the more one tried to enjoy its abject, terminal form of gameplay.

But it had VERY nice graphics, beautiful animation. I had it. I never hated it, it always felt like a noble failure, to me. Best played in VERY short blasts to appreciate its decadence.

At least it felt like it had some class, pizazz. Unlike a pile of shart like RISE OF THE ROBOTS. It just makes me laugh thinking of that guy who suggested marrying the animation of FLASHBACK with an SF2-style fighter.

I mean, what a sage, what a ****in genius. I hope he got a kicking.

Anyway, I'm tangenting but I really don't understand how the reboot misses the point of the original so incredibly.

I just...I can't...twisting the melon...melons...

(*Mastertronic AND Ricochet. They were both £1.99. But not M.A.D. They were £2.99)

Comment

"Mastertronic Advanced Design", iirc????

Or was it "Mastertronic Added Dimension(s)"??????

The more I think, the more the subconscious mind creates!!!!!

Comment

"Mastertronic Added Design"????????!!!!!!

Comment

Atlantis games were £1.99. My old man got me Sea Battles from our local newsagent, and we found it nestled between Chuckie Egg for the Acorn Electron and Mikie for the Amstrad/Schneider. Fell somewhere in between Shaq Fu and Rise of the Robots in terms of “quality”. My old man seemed to have more fun playing it than I did, and I don’t think I ever loaded it up again after playing it initially.

Comment

I had a crap load of Mastertronic 199 games for my Commodore Plus 4. I remember they did some 2.99 titles as well or where they the games which looked like American Comic book cartoons? I remember greats like TuttiFruity and ****e like Street Olympics, lol. Man, that was bolllcks.

Comment

My local newsagent even did some £3.99 games and there were some crackers if I could persuade my old man to spend twice the amount... Spider-Man from Questprobe being one of those I bagged... what a game that was.
                      [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] - Spider-Man would be an interesting BotP... something different!!
                      Last edited by samanosuke; 16-02-2021, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        My local newsagent even did some £3.99 games and there were some crackers if I could persuade my old man to spend twice the amount... Spider-Man from Questprobe being one of those I bagged... what a game that was.
                        [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] - Spider-Man would be an interesting BotP... something different!!
                        I wonder if there are any spiderman games that are the same or different systems?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          I wonder if there are any spiderman games that are the same or different systems?
                          The Questprobe game is pretty much the same on the Speccy, C64, Atari XL, Apple II and DOS, the DOS version being the ugliest with its CGA graphics. There is also a BBC version which lacks any graphics and apparently a Dragon 32 version which I’m guessing must be the worst of the lot.

I’ve seen an Atari ST version featured on YouTube but don’t know whether it’s native or just emulating another version. I never knew it got a release for the ST.

Either way you’ll have fun playing the different versions. It’s, erm, different to the usual stuff you cover, let’s put it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            The Questprobe game is pretty much the same on the Speccy, C64, Atari XL, Apple II and DOS, the DOS version being the ugliest with its CGA graphics. There is also a BBC version which lacks any graphics and apparently a Dragon 32 version which I’m guessing must be the worst of the lot.

I’ve seen an Atari ST version featured on YouTube but don’t know whether it’s native or just emulating another version. I never knew it got a release for the ST.

Either way you’ll have fun playing the different versions. It’s, erm, different to the usual stuff you cover, let’s put it that way.
                            Different enough to drive me crazy I wonder, haha. I'll take a look for a future show.

Comment

A Master System game which an arcade game was based upon?

Comment

Another viewer requested show. This is Battle of the Ports - Xenophobe.

Comment

Working...
                                X