No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Vectrex version is cleary the standout port there, they absolutely nailed the sense of speed, it looks amazing

I've always thought the Atari 2600 was pretty good considering what they had to work with. the PSX version is perhaps the most dissapointing for me, they could have done better.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post

I've always thought the Atari 2600 was pretty good considering what they had to work with.
      I wish someone had combined how Pitstop looks on the 2600 with all the cool features of Enduro. I think they're both good games for the system, but creating a hybrid could have made for the best 2600 racer.

Comment

Comment

Quite a short one this week but a game with an interesting port

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            Loved this game on the Mega Drive, it also sound amazing on the MD too. This was one of my 1st import games ever, I remember thinking how cool I was to be able to import games from Japan. So wish I could travel back in time to my early years with the MD and Saturn

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              Loved this game on the Mega Drive, it also sound amazing on the MD too. This was one of my 1st import games ever, I remember thinking how cool I was to be able to import games from Japan. So wish I could travel back in time to my early years with the MD and Saturn
              I always got confused about this and Curse on the Mega Drive. I don't know why.

Comment

Here we go for the first time ever on Battle of the Ports, a game that does not have an arcade version. Yes, after 265 shows we are now starting to look at ports not from the arcades. This does not mean the arcade ports are done with, oh no! I have so many more arcade game to home ports to cover but every now and then none arcade based shows will appear

Comment

It's such a shame that Wolfchild didn't have the well designed gameplay of the best Konami and Capcom action games. The SNES version looks and sounds really nice, but it feels quite clunky to play. It's very much your typical Amiga game experience where the gameplay isn't refined enough to be truly satisfying.

Comment

Wolfchild was total shoit, hehe. But loved the vid!

Got disturbed earlier by your short vid on YouTube about your BOTP, was scared you were gonna say you were gonna wind it down!!!

Thank Jeezis H. Cheeziz you aren't! I think including multiformat non-arcade stuff is an ACE idea, you'll limit yourself otherwise and it might veer in some interesting directions. Love it mate.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      Wolfchild was total shoit, hehe. But loved the vid!

Got disturbed earlier by your short vid on YouTube about your BOTP, was scared you were gonna say you were gonna wind it down!!!

Thank Jeezis H. Cheeziz you aren't! I think including multiformat non-arcade stuff is an ACE idea, you'll limit yourself otherwise and it might veer in some interesting directions. Love it mate.
                      Hehe, botp is going nowhere any time soon ��

Comment

Cheers for this, only ever played the arcade, the MD version looks interesting.
                        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Here we go for the first time ever on Battle of the Ports, a game that does not have an arcade version. Yes, after 265 shows we are now starting to look at ports not from the arcades. This does not mean the arcade ports are done with, oh no! I have so many more arcade game to home ports to cover but every now and then none arcade based shows will appear

Think the show needed to expand as you will at some point run out of arcade games, I've noticed you avoid games so far that only got ported to one other system. Wolfchild is a good pick thanks to all the versions it got.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                            Think the show needed to expand as you will at some point run out of arcade games, I've noticed you avoid games so far that only got ported to one other system. Wolfchild is a good pick thanks to all the versions it got.
                            I try to avoid games that have just one port. That's kind of boring.

Comment

Its getting to the point its arcades that are getting ports of console games, you could do something on that?

Comment

Wolfchild is, I think, a great game to show why some people considered videogames to be infantile rubbish back-in-the-day. First Samuraiis another, of a similar vein.

Like that level in the forest, where there are random enemies, wall-walker robots, all being used by a werewolf guy who can (for some reason) shoot magic fireballs. Just like how in First Samurai, where you spawn out of this weird howling face, as a shirtless buff samurai and fight creatures that look like Geiger's Alien.

This isn't knocking them as games. I loved them back-in-the-day and I have no personal problem with such things. However, you can see the problem. They're just nonsensical for so many reasons; a kinda weird mish-mash of different things that are just designed to be eye-catching and/or fun, without much in the way of logic. It's a bit like how British videogames 5-10 years before on the Speccy went through an era of games which were pythonesque and eccentric, because the random, chaotic nature of that humour suited the medium.

It's weird to explain because in some respects, God of War is no different - yet it is. I think anyone who sees God of War in any of its incarnations, despite the violence, can see a thread of something meaningful in it. The locations look like places, the enemies inFPS games appear in bunkers, trenches and pop up from behind tables (instead of just being stood there).

Comment

Working...
                                X