Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beecee View Post
    Its getting to the point its arcades that are getting ports of console games, you could do something on that?
    Im afraid not. It's not possible to get footage of the Arcade versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Wolfchild is, I think, a great game to show why some people considered videogames to be infantile rubbish back-in-the-day. First Samuraiis another, of a similar vein.

Like that level in the forest, where there are random enemies, wall-walker robots, all being used by a werewolf guy who can (for some reason) shoot magic fireballs. Just like how in First Samurai, where you spawn out of this weird howling face, as a shirtless buff samurai and fight creatures that look like Geiger's Alien.

This isn't knocking them as games. I loved them back-in-the-day and I have no personal problem with such things. However, you can see the problem. They're just nonsensical for so many reasons; a kinda weird mish-mash of different things that are just designed to be eye-catching and/or fun, without much in the way of logic. It's a bit like how British videogames 5-10 years before on the Speccy went through an era of games which were pythonesque and eccentric, because the random, chaotic nature of that humour suited the medium.

It's weird to explain because in some respects, God of War is no different - yet it is. I think anyone who sees God of War in any of its incarnations, despite the violence, can see a thread of something meaningful in it. The locations look like places, the enemies inFPS games appear in bunkers, trenches and pop up from behind tables (instead of just being stood there).
      Wow, that's some deep thinking. Personally I've never thought about it. All games are crazy if we think about what's actually going on.

Comment

Shadow of the Beast would be an awesome one to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
          That’s surely some sort of punishment playing umpteen versions of SotB? Amazing it ended up having two different Mega Drive ports.

Comment

You'd say that but I think ive played most of them, one of my all time faves - asthetically anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
              It will be covered but man, will that be a crappy time for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                It will be covered but man, will that be a crappy time for me.
                The Atari Lynx version is the best -- but probably looks rubbish emulated. You need to see it on the small screen.

Comment

This may just be the largest Battle of the Ports yet!

Comment

What's the issue with recording cga composite Yakumo? I would have loved to see that version in the video.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                      What's the issue with recording cga composite Yakumo? I would have loved to see that version in the video.
                      My video capture card can't accept composite plus there's no way for my PC to output composite even if my capture card could accept it

Comment

Any chance of Crazy Taxi getting a show?

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                          Any chance of Crazy Taxi getting a show?
                          Sorry, the copyright police will be all over me with that game.

Comment

Sorry, the copyright police will be all over me with that game.
                            It’d (hypothetically) only be viable if you dubbed over the soundtrack with generic library music, with a scrolling disclaimer message... which is not something you would do knowing you (rightly) have high standards.

Ms Pac Man – another video where I was genuinely surprised how many conversions the game got! Interesting the Super NES/Super Famicom and NES/Famicom both got different releases....

Comment

My video capture card can't accept composite plus there's no way for my PC to output composite even if my capture card could accept it
                              Dosbox will usually play a game in cga composite if the game supports it and you change the config to:
                              machine=cga
                              Some games like Ms Pacman let you choose from a menu as well. It looks pretty nice!

If recording is still an issue Dosbox has a built in recording function you can stop and start with ctrl + alt + f5.
                              Last edited by Cepp; 22-04-2019, 11:38.

Comment

I'm amazed we've had so many Pacman games tbh. I thought the game was rubbish from day one and never liked any of them. But I still remember how super impressed I was with the GFX in Pacmania on the Master system and more so on my schools Acorn Archimedes.

Comment

Working...
                                X