Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    Im interested in knowing how Chris got seven sound channels out of a system with only 4.
    Same as octamed; software mixing at the expense of sound quality. Still clever stuff on a 7mhz processor

Comment

With a bit of RAM, the AHI library increases the number of channels to 8 whilst increasing the quality. Basically it stacks two 8-bit channels on left and right and then software mixes 4 channels to each 12-bit left/right stacked channel. And this is designed to be used in games so not just a tool for audio sequencers.

Comment

I *think* Octamed uses this technique as well so actually the sound quality is better as well as the number of channels being doubled.

Comment

One if not the first fully textured 3D fighters is finally on Battle of the Ports.

Comment

Mega Turrican is a good game, it is well colored and the graphics are successful. The Gameplay is perfect except that you can not shoot at the top. The game is divided into 5 worlds with 2 or 3 sub levels each. In short, it has a good life.

Last edited by escobarrr; 17-06-2019, 21:14.

Comment

One if not the first fully textured 3D fighters is finally on Battle of the Ports.
              Nice show, how this horrid VS fighter won so many fans, is beyond me. The game was horrible to play

Comment

Ah, Toshinden. I have interesting memories of this.

Back when the 32-bit consoles were about to be released, I was following things in the magazines, as I suspect many of us were. However, the first game I ever got to play on either a Playstation or Saturn was Toshinden, at Toys'R'Us. In that weird kid way, I remember being impressed by it, but wondering how it would compare to Virtua Fighter.

The next time was at a party over at a family friends' house close to Christmas. They had a son who was 5-6 years older than I, and he'd just bought his new PS1 with Toshinden, Tekken, Destruction Derby and Wipeout, so most of the kids and several of the dads had piled into his room to play on it. I actually remember really liking Toshinden, but I think it was largely due to how "3D" the game felt, because that was so novel at the time. That "3D Dodge" move was really cool; Tekken was clearly better, but I think we played more Toshinden for that reason. I think the developers (Takara?) knew that would be a big draw, if I was to guess.

In the years since, I wondered if that awful text intro had been an anime cutscene in Japan, just like the one in Psychic Force (because I'm pretty sure there was a Toshinden anime). Stuff like that did sometimes get removed when games were brought to the west back then; a bit like how the sound effects were removed from the Guardian Heroes intro... For no adequately explained reason, except to somehow conceal that the game was Japanese? (bolt from the blue, a sudden memory - back then, I had the notorious VHS version of Nausicaa, called Warriors of the Wind, which had a "MADE IN HOLLAND!" sticker on the front).

It's interesting as well, because Toshinden is a weirdly made fighter. It's closer to something like Street Fighter than VF, and Tekken borrowed many elements from VF, the two of them forming the basis for what we consider the mechanics of a "3D Fighting Game" - but it's like the developers didn't have time to consider what the 3D Dodge would do to the gameplay. Fighters have fireballs, but when you can side-step them easily, they aren't that much use. This makes me think of how I've always wanted to play Destrega, but never got the chance, and it's one of the few PS1 games that doesn't work on the PS2/3.

Also a funny thing is how I was a pre-teen, and looking at the game now for the first time in many years, I'm surprised by the outfits of the two female characters - one who seems to be wearing boobalicious bondage gear and the other wearing some kind of lingerie with a transparent slip over the top. This completely passed me by at the time; evidently I was too young to notice something like that. I suspect I was too busy being wowed by how a character's clothing could have a transparency effect to notice she was near-naked underneath!

I was really surprised to see it found its way onto the PS1 classic (and the PAL version too, shockingly). I could've understood if they'd gone with the theme of "the early PS1 years" and included things like the original Tekken and such; perhaps with the intent to release a "PSOne Classic" with games like Metal Gear Solid a few years later... But as it was, it was just perplexing. Toshinden is a relic, and whilst it's interesting to me, I doubt it prompts much nostalgia for others.

Comment

I know that I’ve dabbled with one of the sequels on the PlayStation, but never the original. I find it quite amusing that the Gameboy version is the best of the bunch… I really want to have a go at it now.

Are there many competent fighting games for the Gameboy? I’m pretty sure KoF ‘94 and ‘95 are available?

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                    I know that I’ve dabbled with one of the sequels on the PlayStation, but never the original. I find it quite amusing that the Gameboy version is the best of the bunch… I really want to have a go at it now.

Are there many competent fighting games for the Gameboy? I’m pretty sure KoF ‘94 and ‘95 are available?
                    I recall liking the GB versions of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II back-in-the-day. They were objectively pretty basic; SF was even missing some characters, but expectations of handhelds were lower back then.

Comment

I had Mortal Kombat for the Gameboy… along with Pit Fighter it’s one of the most appalling wastes of silicon and human effort ever.

Comment

The Japanese GB fighting games are good. World Heroes, KOF series and I thing there's a Fatal Fury too.

Comment

I had Mortal Kombat for the Gameboy… along with Pit Fighter it’s one of the most appalling wastes of silicon and human effort ever.
                          Looking at YouTube, it turns out it was Mortal Kombat II. Again, still not amazing, but like I said, handheld expectations were lower back then. Personally I feel the first truly unmissable handheld fighter didn't come about until the release of the NGPC, though I was really impressed by the Game Gear version of Fatal Fury [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] showed on BotP; that was one of the most memorable ports of all the videos so far for me.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            With a bit of RAM, the AHI library increases the number of channels to 8 whilst increasing the quality. Basically it stacks two 8-bit channels on left and right and then software mixes 4 channels to each 12-bit left/right stacked channel. And this is designed to be used in games so not just a tool for audio sequencers.
                            This is fascinating. Where can I find out more about this!? I've looked into the AHI device driver but can't find where it talks about making 8 12 bit channels out of 4 8 bit ones. Cheers!

Comment

Love Capcom? Love old Capcom? Well you may just love this.

Comment

The original Paperboy was a classic but the follow up is a whole different story. But hey, at least you can now play as a girl.

Comment

Working...
                                X