Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    I remember buying The Immortal for the Amiga, because it had lots of glowing reviews and seemed like something I'd enjoy playing through. It ended up really annoying me with its clunkiness and rock hard difficulty. It's very much focused on solving puzzles, so not action-adventure orientated enough for me. I wanted to like it, but it left me cold.
    Cadaver was a better game Leon...

Comment

Some modern C64 games are available on cartridge(and as a cart image) so they load quickly. I guess that's an option we'll get with this game.
      Even disk would largely eliminate loading times. Software fastloaders allow for quick access and you can do things like load in more content while other code is running. Anyone running an emulator would have no trouble with a disk version and I expect the majority of people with real hardware either have a disk drive, or a replacement device like the 1541 Ultimate or Pi1541. Thankfully the days of "rewind tape to the start of side 1 and press play" every time you lose a life are long behind us

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        It was just too brutal. I got the game after the Mean Machines review and loved it but it was too hard and that hurt the game a bit, kind of like Demon Souls You enjoy the game, the wonderful atmospheric settings and visuals, but just get disappointed you can't see more of it, since it too hard LOL
        Yeah, Demon's Souls is a modern example of brutal old school gameplay. You got loads of extremely tough games in the '80s, where you'd tear your hair out trying to figure out the vague puzzles. But some people really loved them, so there were plenty of masochists who lapped them up.

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
        Cadaver was a better game Leon...
        Cadaver is a similar game that's full of attractive graphics and has a captivating atmosphere. But it's also pretty hard to get to grips with. That's a plus point for some people.

I tended to get suckered into buying these sort of games, but soon regretted it when I realised that beyond the fancy visuals, they aren't my cup of tea.

Comment

...you...should appreciate this then...visuals and gameplay...their best game...

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
            ...you...should appreciate this then...visuals and gameplay...their best game...
            Yeah, it's easily The Bitmap Brothers best action game. The A500/OCS version is my fave; the more subdued colour palette looks great.

Comment

So sorry for the delay in getting this one out. It should have been released last week but real life is just too busy these days.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this one. The original Double Dragon Battle of the Ports featured 16 versions. This video features 20 but is actually missing the Game Gear and Xbox 360 Double Dragon Neon as I felt neither of those should be included.
              If I could have gotten the mobile phone ports working there would have been 22 versions. Oh well.

Comment

The Ocean C64 version was original on cart, so I'm guessing you're playing from a disk crack? the loading was a lot more smooth and yes, it's not a great game but better than the Virgin version!
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Great effort on this one Yakumo, so many versions!

Comment

I've always thought that Billy and Jimmy look like classic blow-up sex dolls, in the Amiga version. Horrifying.

The saddest version is the MD, it *looks* like a fantastic version until you play it and realise it's completely different in feel. It's so weird, it's akin to INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, same kind of thing going on...it has no soul. Very strange business, indeed.

GBA version is brilliant, although I don't really see it as a proper version of DD1 as it's such an altered beast. Amazing game, though, play it on my GC GB Player at least thrice a year and it still offers BIIIIIIG thrills.

Love the NES version, SMS version great as well but my overall fave DD game is SUPER DOUBLE DRAGON on SNES and that doesn't count!

Comment

A game I had a lot of fun with back in the early 90s.

Comment

I really liked the Amiga version back in 1989, so I played it religiously for a few years. There was something about the overall design that made it such a compelling driving game. The later expansion packs were a good idea that kept me interested.

It's a shame that the Mega Drive version forces you to listen to terrible music.

It's interesting that you praised the SNES version, because I remember thinking it was really dodgy back in the day. It just didn't feel right to me. Maybe I was just bored of Test Drive 2 formula by that point.

Comment

I really liked the Amiga version back in 1989, so I played it religiously for a few years. There was something about the overall design that made it such a compelling driving game. The later expansion packs were a good idea that kept me interested.

It's a shame that the Mega Drive version forces you to listen to terrible music.

It's interesting that you praised the SNES version, because I remember thinking it was really dodgy back in the day. It just didn't feel right to me. Maybe I was just bored of Test Drive 2 formula by that point.
                          The SNES version is kind of like an evolution of the series. Many Amiga fanboys got upset because I said the SNES version was the best. True, it plays differently but better IMO.

Comment

If you loved Test Drive from back in the day try out Horizon Chase. It's on everything now, but started out as a mobile game.

Fantastic game. They even roped the Test Drive music bloke in to do the soundtrack.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                              If you loved Test Drive from back in the day try out Horizon Chase. It's on everything now, but started out as a mobile game.

Fantastic game. They even roped the Test Drive music bloke in to do the soundtrack.
                              Yep, I have that on my phone. Great game.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

I think Horizon Chase Turbo was inspired by the Top Gear games on the MD & SNES -- and the musician did the brilliant SNES music.

I bought it in sales for Steam, PS4 and Xbox One, so you could say I really like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X