No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SFC version is one of my most played games of all. It's pretty much 80% what I play on the SNES Mini. I wish I had kept my old JP version, I love the box art.

Don't even care if it's truncated and missing stuff. It's quite a loooooong game to complete and the Industrial level is dull (bar the breakables).

Had the MCD version but that MD colour, jeez...

Def one of my top 3 fave games ever, like a comfy pair of slippers it is, always snug*.

*I don't actually wear slippers but I like the comparison.

Comment

Wish I'd played that MCD colour hack, just watching it in action now, it looks great.

Someone needs to go back in time and tell MD arcade conversion programmers to stop getting colours wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

*I don't actually wear slippers but I like the comparison.

I wear these from October to April. Snug.

Wish I'd played that MCD colour hack, just watching it in action now, it looks great.

Someone needs to go back in time and tell MD arcade conversion programmers to stop getting colours wrong.
        I didn't know about that.

It is weird that coders got things wrong back then, and now people are fixing the mistakes.

Comment

I'd say those were more shoes than slippers, at least in a sense. A really soft, comfy loungey corny house-shoe. It doesn't look sweaty to wear, I tend to find the warming nature of most slippers activates sweaty feet and I HATE the feel of it, it makes me cringe sorta like peeps do when faced with the sounds of sharp objects being scraped down blackboards. I'm weird, though, it might just be me. HATE it. Hate.

And I'm loving these MD colour hacks, the OutRun one propah stoked my stoat.

Comment

I'd say those were more shoes than slippers, at least in a sense.
            You can slip them off easily -- and they feel comfortable. I don't like the traditional shoe-like slippers you're talking about that end up really sweaty and roasting. I've been wearing moccasins all my adult life and think they're the perfect shoe for lazing around indoors.

Things like the MD colour hacks really are cool.

Comment

Yeah, I thought the colour hack looked really cool. Although obviously less colourful than the arcade and SNES versions, I preferred the contrast of the colour hacked MCD version.

Comment

I think MD Contra could use a colour hack. The more I play it these days, the more I start to proper love it (it's really pure) but there's something a bit 'off' about some bits that look a bit inconsistent or jarring compared to the more consistently pure look of Contra 3. Have they done one for STRIDER, yet? That'd be interesting as it looks so nice already.

Comment

No ammount of Colour hacks can compenstate for the MD crap colour pallet

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I share your pain.

TBH I wanted an FM Towns Marty far more

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      TBH I wanted an FM Towns Marty far more
                      The Marty was more of a 32-bit generation machine. I remember seeing Tatsujin 2 and wanting the machine. It also had an arcade perfect Splatterhouse. But I decided to wait for a console that could do next gen 3D.

It would have been amazing to have an X68000 in the late-80s/early 90s. But even though it had lots of great Japanese games, I would have still wanted an Amiga for Speedball 2, Lotus Challenge, Stunt Car Racer, North & South etc... It's easy to knock the Amiga for all its bad games, but it had loads of really good games as well.

Comment

I remember seeing Tatsujin 2 and wanting the machine. I
                        That was the game that made me want it, after seeing and reading the EDGE review of Tatsujin 2, but at the time I was saving for the Saturn.
                        I don't get the knocking of the Amiga at all TBH. If you wanted the console-style games then it wasn't the system for you. But I loved those sim flight and racer games that you got on the Amiga and ST.

Comment

That was the game that made me want it, after seeing and reading the EDGE review of Tatsujin 2, but at the time I was saving for the Saturn.
                          It's funny to think we both saw that EDGE review and thought "want"

I don't get the knocking of the Amiga at all TBH. If you wanted the console-style games then it wasn't the system for you. But I loved those sim flight and racer games that you got on the Amiga and ST.
                          It's because coin-op ports were so popular back then, so all the terrible Amiga ports gave the machine a bad image. But away from all the ports, there were plenty of good games. I'll never forget how much I enjoyed the Amiga(A500 & A1200) between 1989-1994. I still like how Amiga gaming has a very British/Euro vibe that you don't get with consoles. It's a nice alternative to 16-bit consoles.

Comment

It's funny to think we both saw that EDGE review and thought "want"

It's because coin-op ports were so popular back then, so all the terrible Amiga ports gave the machine a bad image. But away from all the ports, there were plenty of good games. I'll never forget how much I enjoyed the Amiga(A500 & A1200) between 1989-1994. I still like how Amiga gaming has a very British/Euro vibe that you don't get with consoles. It's a nice alternative to 16-bit consoles.
                            Yeah funny.

I never looked to compare the Amiga to the consoles TBH, In just the same way I never compare the PC to the consoles. Both had their pro's and cons and were different gaming systems so it paid to have both.

Comment

Yeah funny.

I never looked to compare the Amiga to the consoles TBH, In just the same way I never compare the PC to the consoles. Both had their pro's and cons and were different gaming systems so it paid to have both.
                              I can see why some people feel they didn't miss out by not having an Amiga, because the Mega Drive and SNES had loads of great games. But I'm glad I got to experience the Amiga's finest games that had a different vibe to console stuff.

It's a shame that some people have a negative view of the machine because they played some of the terrible games, because there are so many gems that make you appreciate how special the Amiga was. It was also a great machine for art, music, programming etc... I did loads of creative stuff with it. The PD side of things was also interesting and fun.

So as much as I love all the consoles from that era, I'll always have a lot of fondness for the Amiga. It has its own distinct qualities that I really appreciate. A classic machine that wasn't always treated well by publishers/devs, but when it was, the resulting games were often extra special.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 24-02-2020, 14:22.

Comment

I can see why some people feel they didn't miss out by not having an Amiga, because the Mega Drive and SNES had loads of great games. But I'm glad I got to experience the Amiga's finest games that had a different vibe to console stuff.

It's a shame that some people have a negative view of the machine because they played some of the terrible games, because there are so many gems that make you appreciate how special the Amiga was. It was also a great machine for art, music, programming etc... I did loads of creative stuff with it. The PD side of things was also interesting and fun.

So as much as I love all the consoles from that era, I'll always have a lot of fondness for the Amiga. It has its own distinct qualities that I really appreciate. A classic machine that wasn't always treated well by publishers/devs, but when it was, the resulting games were often extra special.

Sadly a bit like now you get PC snobs or console snob that will look down on the other systems, that said in my form a lot of the Atari ST/Amiga users and even my computer teacher looked down on consoles and how they were for children.

I didn't get the Amiga till much matter, but I loved the Atari ST back inthe day and play all those lovely flight and racing sims . F29 was just amazing back inthe day

Comment

Working...
                                X