No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And 4mb for a game so varied and with such an epic soundtrack???!!!!!!

TA, you are talking out of your trousers, the bum part specifically!!!

Comment

Roadblasters on Water is the best way to describe this week's Battle of the Ports.

Comment

I’m still laughing at your summary of the speccy version-“total ass”

Comment

The Lynx version is quite fun.

Any plans for a Hunchback episode in future?

Comment

Few suggestions for future episodes - Steam Hearts, Oshaberi Parodius, Mickey Mania, Shadow of the Beast 2, Alien 3, Defender of the Crown, Rocket Ranger, Jaguar XJ220, Batman and Robin, Gauntlet.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              I think because the 2nd game is far better that everyone forgets how good the original was back in 1991.
              Wasn't Final Fight for the SFC already out by then? Aside from the awesome music SOR looked pretty laughable compared to it. Tiny sprites with few frames of animation, 30fps (!!!!), and pretty basic backgrounds. It was clearly a rush job.

Comment

Gauntlet has been done.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                  Wasn't Final Fight for the SFC already out by then? Aside from the awesome music SOR looked pretty laughable compared to it. Tiny sprites with few frames of animation, 30fps (!!!!), and pretty basic backgrounds. It was clearly a rush job.
                  Not over here it weren’t, the SNES hadn’t even been released. Pretty harsh assessment of SOR there as I find the backgrounds beautiful, and nobody gave a sh*t about FPS back then. The fact you couldn’t play FF with a mate at home made SOR a worthwhile alternative.

Honestly you make it sound like it’s the Speccy port of Double Dragon!

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                    Not over here it weren’t, the SNES hadn’t even been released. Pretty harsh assessment of SOR there as I find the backgrounds beautiful, and nobody gave a sh*t about FPS back then. The fact you couldn’t play FF with a mate at home made SOR a worthwhile alternative.

Honestly you make it sound like it’s the Speccy port of Double Dragon!
                    I guess I've always been a frame rate fanatic/snob. I came from having a C64 where many games were 50fps, then from an Amiga where there was of course the huge gulf between pure Amiga games (usually 50fps) and ST ports (16-25fps). I rarely touched the ST ports because the frame rate drove me nuts.

It's persisted to this day, which is why I mostly play PC games where I'm guaranteed a minimum of 60fps and I can push up to 200fps on some games.

I remember when I first saw SOR, I think I rented it from Blockbuster, and whilst I liked the music I found the frame rate really off putting. My memory could be failing me here but I seem to recall I had seen Final Fight already on an import SFC.

Comment

It was out in Japan so you probably did see it on import.

Where I lived nobody had an imported SFC in my school and being only 13 at the time I didn’t know anyone who could afford to import, hence why I said is wasn’t out over here.

Sure, FF in the arcade looked a lot better (and played better) than SoR did, but it was hands down the best beat ‘em up one could play in the home. Even when I did get to play FF on a SNES, for all its close resemblance to the source material it was hugely disappointing that my mates and I couldn’t take on Mad Gear together.

I didn’t get into importing until I went to work and could buy stuff myself.

Comment

They're both excellent. Why can't one enjoy both? Never understood it, just enjoy the wealth of wondrous options. Especially right now.

SOR1 is bloody brill!

Comment

I was playing all the arcade games at the same time I got Bare Knuckle, before it came out here, and when I heard the music and called the SWAT team, for a minute my brain melted. Of course it wasn't perfect, but in the moment I was overcome by pure joy the likes of which I rarely see as an adult. Much love for the Mega Drive sound chip. I hardly ever play games anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                            Agreed!. SOR looked so basic and also had a rubbish 30 fps and tiny sprits. Saying it was better than FF on the SNES, wasn't saying much at all; given how crap that port was. Two Crude Dudes looked better and that was from a 3rd party Sega own In-House team needed to have so much better.

Still it didn't matter, when you had the stunning port of Golden Axe on the MD

Comment

I love SOR 1, may fammydodd stay for tea at the house of anyone who doesn’t like it.

Comment

Never cared about it, nor noticed it. Apart from during EDF when it slows to -7 fps.

My brain must just be wired differently.

SOR1 is great. 2 is significantly greater.

Comment

Working...
                                X