No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was one of my favourite games back in the day. Everything about it seemed amazing for the time: the graphics, the animation, the audio, the cinematics. Such a vast improvement over Another World, and, more importantly, it played better too with far fewer cheap deaths.

I am pretty sure the Amiga version was the original. Not sure where, but I once read that Delphine got into a little bit of hot water over the intro music sounding like a certain Carolco movie, hence why it was changed to sound less obvious in all the other ports. A shame as the Amiga version by far has the best intro music!

For me the Mega CD version was the definitive version for being the only one (or so I thought) with in-game music. A really fantastic, stirring score as well that perfectly suits the different environments in the game. I’d take this even though the grainy FMV cut-scenes removed some of the sheen. Anyroad, turns out I was wrong all along as watching your video, the 3DO has a much nicer looking version, so that is the winner in my books.

Comment

A true classic which ever versions you play. Unless you are playing the remake and the awful emulated version of the original they included. Pity the Mega CD release wasn't released in PAL. We only got a demo.

Comment

It's time for another remastered Battle of the Ports. The original Shinobi video was uploaded 6 years ago. Ran at 30fps 720p with no voice over. It also only covered 9 versions of Shinobi.
        This Remastered video runs at 60fps 1080p, has a voiceover and covers 12 versions of shinobi. Editing and sound balance is also a lot tighter.

Comment

Diddle doot doot dur doo, doodle doot doot dur dooooooooo, dooooodle dooOooOooOo.

Comment

Didn't see the Flashback one! It was out on Amiga first, but was initially designed and developed for the Mega Drive. I remember an interview where it was said that the creators felt the MD one was the definitive version (though some of the others have slightly more content).

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              It's time for another remastered Battle of the Ports. The original Shinobi video was uploaded 6 years ago. Ran at 30fps 720p with no voice over. It also only covered 9 versions of Shinobi.
              This Remastered video runs at 60fps 1080p, has a voiceover and covers 12 versions of shinobi. Editing and sound balance is also a lot tighter.

Personally, I've got a soft spot for the PCE port. A good effort (for the time) considering just how much was omitted in order to fit it onto a HUcard.

Maybe Asmik would've been better off putting it on an Arcade CD-ROM² disc instead?

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                Diddle doot doot dur doo, doodle doot doot dur dooooooooo, dooooodle dooOooOooOo.

"Welcome To Bonus Stage"?

Comment

This month, the Immortal is 30 years old. Released back in November 1990. Let's celebrate by taking a look at all ports side by side.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    This month, the Immortal is 30 years old. Released back in November 1990. Let's celebrate by taking a look at all ports side by side.

Loved this on the Mega Drive. Me and best mate and well next door neighbour at the time were just amazed at the death animations in this title, very hard mind but games like this showed like the Mega Drive had a better range of games to that of the Snes, you never had this sort of stuff on the SNES

Comment

Class game but solid hard. The big spidda was scary and the water level was great too. Superb atmosphere.

Comment

Original Actraiser next Yakumo = thread closed...would like to see Final Fantasy III

Comment

I remember buying The Immortal for the Amiga, because it had lots of glowing reviews and seemed like something I'd enjoy playing through. It ended up really annoying me with its clunkiness and rock hard difficulty. It's very much focused on solving puzzles, so not action-adventure orientated enough for me. I wanted to like it, but it left me cold.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                            Class game but solid hard. The big spidda was scary and the water level was great too. Superb atmosphere.
                            Spot on. It was super atmospheric and totally brilliant. Just too hard for it's own good

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              Just too hard for it's own good
                              But some people like really hard games where its all about repetition and making sense of the puzzles. I think most people would prefer something like Gauntlet or Diablo, but there's always been a market for extremely challenging games.

People I knew thought Axelay was tough, so imagine them playing The Immortal.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                But some people like really hard games where its all about repetition and making sense of the puzzles.:
                                It was just too brutal. I got the game after the Mean Machines review and loved it but it was too hard and that hurt the game a bit, kind of like Demon Souls You enjoy the game, the wonderful atmospheric settings and visuals, but just get disappointed you can't see more of it, since it too hard LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X