Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    Rayman was massive or at least in Europe he was. It was the best selling PlayStation game in the UK outselling the likes of GTA and Tomb Raider 1 and 2.
    These days everyone knows Rayman but not many people talk about the original game any more. Let's take a look at all the available versions. I say available because as always the digital only versions are long gone. That's the DSi and Smartphone versions. Good old digital only releases. Sure it the way forward to making stuff obsolete.
    Versions such as the PlayStation classics or virtual console type services don't count because they're not ports, just emulated versions of another port.

Nice to see Rayman covered, really needs an in-depth comparison as there are a huge amount of changes between each version, often they aren't clear on first play, here's a quick list.

The largest Rayman community. Forum, encyclopedia, music, savegames, rankings, fan works: it's all there!

Even that doesn't mention them all, Saturn's version and jaguar have have multiple coloured butterflies for example. The developers seems to tweak the game with each version even the DSi one, which is made easier. You also have quite a few PC versions including Rayman Gold and Rayman Forever. There was a SNES Beta released not to long ago as well. I can get you footage of the DSi version, but it would be over camera

Where noting the composer Rémy Gazel for most of the music pass away this year. Truly a great soundtrack also.
    Last edited by S3M; 26-08-2019, 13:24.

Comment

Game Arts are no longer around but when they were they made some of the most impressive games of their time. This week on Battle of the Ports we'll take a look at Silpheed.

Comment

Brilliant BotP, Yak. Love Silpheed and always wondered about its earlier releases on exotic Japanese PCs. Thanks for covering what is for me a great game, although perhaps I should consider it a guilty pleasure as many people seem rather dismissive of it.

Comment

Other than SEGA GameArts were my fav gaming corp and its so sad to see what happend to this once amazing developer (I think they are still around mind) I remember paying over £70 for the Mega CD version from Livewire in Cardiff, simply becasue I wouldn't wait a few days for Dream Machines to post it LOL

Its a great shooter and I still like to play it now, those backrounds were amazing and I loved the intro too, it was like somthing from Battlestar Galactica

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            Its a great shooter and I still like to play it now, those backrounds were amazing and I loved the intro too, it was like somthing from Battlestar Galactica
            Yeah, it’s a real visual and aural tour-de-force, and makes great use of the MCD hardware.

Comment

I don't remember how much I paid but I know it was quite a lot for the Japanese version of this back in the day. I'm sure it was bought from Microbyte in St. John's precinct in Liverpool City center. Loved the Mega CD version then and still love it now.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                Yeah, it’s a real visual and aural tour-de-force, and makes great use of the MCD hardware.
                I would have liked some use of the ASIC chip (say for smooth scaling on the Power-ups) but the game made nice use of the Hardware in other aera and was a fab shooter. I loved it when you 1st saw the tanker blow up into about a million polygons, that was so epic

Game Arts was incredible back in the day

Comment

Game Arts are no longer around but when they were they made some of the most impressive games of their time. This week on Battle of the Ports we'll take a look at Silpheed.
                  I could never finish Silpheed on the Mega CD, in the PAL version the final boss, seemed to take way too many hits, before he automatically killed you.You had to land every shots you could fire in the short time you have to kill him. The one downside of using a video background for the boss.

Comment

This week we are taking a look at a game i enjoyed as a child but had completely forgotten about it until recently. That game is simply titled, Bruce Lee.

Comment

This week we are taking a look at a game i enjoyed as a child but had completely forgotten about it until recently. That game is simply titled, Bruce Lee.

Great video, the speccy version is sacred to me, just loved that game so much. On the amstrad version if the second player plays as the big green yamo, I think either up or down and fire, makes him raise his hand and go Wwaaarrrumm!

Comment

Loved this on the Speccy

Comment

My friend had this game ... I'd completely forgotten it too. Great to see it again. Top vid

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            Loved this on the Speccy
                            I remember loving the Amstrad version -- thought the little sprites running around looked really cool. Had a charm about it that kept me playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              I remember loving the Amstrad version -- thought the little sprites running around looked really cool. Had a charm about it that kept me playing.
                              I was always jeluouis of the my mates C64 version (the only one in school who had a C64) It was a nice simple and fun game

Comment

Wash your mouth out with soap!!

Comment

Working...
                                X