No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last week we took a look at Chuck Rock. A game many disliked. This week we have the squeal, Son of Chuck. A game many people seem to like. Let's check it out.

Technology is amazing isn't it? When I was a kid we had small LCD games and a cheap Walkman to entertain us. Now we have so many choices. But, have you ever wanted to take that living room experience with you when camping? Well, now you can! Well, as long as you are travelling by car.

Comment

We finally reach the end of the Chuck Rock series with BC Racers. A series that started of with a mediocre platformer then improved and what could arguably said ended in a poor racer. But which platform has the best version of this racer? Let's*watch on.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        We finally reach the end of the Chuck Rock series with BC Racers. A series that started of with a mediocre platformer then improved and what could arguably said ended in a poor racer. But which platform has the best version of this racer? Let's*watch on.
        Were you playing BC Racers 32X on real hardware? I've never owned this game myself on anything, but I have noticed something odd with the 32X port. Some videos show it running quite smoothly, whilst others show it with a frame rate roughly the same as the Mega CD version. I always assumed it was some emulator oddity increasing the frame rate.

Pretty terrible game regardless of version of course, and it's odd that the MCD version is so jerky after Core's mastery of the hardware on Soul Star.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
          Were you playing BC Racers 32X on real hardware? I've never owned this game myself on anything, but I have noticed something odd with the 32X port.
          That's emu, the game doesn't run that smooth, well not on my Pal 32X. Maybe its smoother on a Super 32X ?

Comment

Last week we took a look at Chuck Rock. A game many disliked. This week we have the squeal, Son of Chuck. A game many people seem to like. Let's check it out.
            Gary Gritter? Some things just don’t age well

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              That's emu, the game doesn't run that smooth, well not on my Pal 32X. Maybe its smoother on a Super 32X ?
              seems strange that an emulator would speed up the game when no other game is effected that way. Very odd coding by code masters.

Comment

Technology is amazing isn't it? When I was a kid we had small LCD games and a cheap Walkman to entertain us. Now we have so many choices. But, have you ever wanted to take that living room experience with you when camping? Well, now you can! Well, as long as you are travelling by car.
                This is a really cool device Yakumo, thanks for making me aware of it. I have a similar setup and I'm always looking for possible improvements.

My setup works like this:

As always with projectors it's difficult to photograph, but it works well. The projector runs out of a USB power bank, which also powers the SNES Mini, and the sound goes through a bluetooth speaker connected by a cable. Everything fits pretty well onto a tripod, with the excess wires etc. going in a tote bag that just hangs off the frame. The kit charges up via a solar panel during the day, with enough juice for maybe up to 4 hours of use per night, if it's sunny.

The main thing that surprised me about this is just how far those tiny projectors have come on in the last ten years; they're really fantastic.

Comment

Very cool set up for camping. A battery like this one would last quite some time with that set up. You could always keep it topped up too via solar charging like you are doing now.

Comment

Very cool set up for camping. A battery like this one would last quite some time with that set up. You could always keep it topped up too via solar charging like you are doing now.
                    I seriously considered; unfortunately I noticed the plugs are Japanese style - I couldn't see a UK plug version (and I'm not sure you could, due to the 240v standard), so much of its usefulness is lost. I was interested because my setup can't use a Nintendo Switch - you can't do HDMI-out from the Switch without some sort of mains power (all my kit is USB).

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I seriously considered; unfortunately I noticed the plugs are Japanese style - I couldn't see a UK plug version (and I'm not sure you could, due to the 240v standard), so much of its usefulness is lost. I was interested because my setup can't use a Nintendo Switch - you can't do HDMI-out from the Switch without some sort of mains power (all my kit is USB).
                      Theres a Euro plug version but I'm not sure about UK

Comment

A good game this week on Battle of the Ports as we take a look at Konami's Jackal.

Comment

Jim Power was a game released under many names as a new game but in reality it was always the same game with a few changes here and there. Let's take a look at Jim Power across a variety of systems from an 8bit UK home computer port to a Japanese exclusive console release.

Comment

Did you know that the original Donkey Kong was meant to be a Popeye game? Yes, it's true but Nintendo couldn't get the license until later.

Comment

Jim Power was a game released under many names as a new game but in reality it was always the same game with a few changes here and there. Let's take a look at Jim Power across a variety of systems from an 8bit UK home computer port to a Japanese exclusive console release.
                              The SNES version of that's a really good example of how the 16-bit era worked that 3-D background scrolling was hideous due to the way they flipped the direction to give it a 3-dimensional effect. It's really eye-catching when you see it for a few seconds, but feels really weird seeing extended shots of the game in motion; thing is, in the 90s, obviously we didn't have YouTube so you might've only seen it running for 30 seconds on a TV in a game shop.

Comment

Did you know that the original Donkey Kong was meant to be a Popeye game? Yes, it's true but Nintendo couldn't get the license until later.
                                Curious resolution difference between the backgrounds and the sprites in the arcade version. It's incredibly ugly, which makes it baffling that all of the ports (which don't have that hardware limitation) preserved the look.

The Popeye movie from 1980 is on the other hand beautiful to look at. Incredible set design which clearly cost an absolute fortune, perfect casting, and a wonderful score. It's one of those forgotten 80s movies which flopped at the time and has languished unloved in SD on VHS and DVD ever since. If you're a fan of Robin Williams or Robert Altman, it's a must see.

Comment

Working...
                                X