No announcement yet.

Anime and Manga Thread: 2nd Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched through 86 - Eighty Six recently and its good. Unit commander Lena (referred to as a 'handler') from a silver white-haired race remotely commands a group of insect-like units manned by young soldiers from the 86th district who are thrust to the front lines of a war between the homeland and the Republic. They're also referred to by most of the handler Lena's brethren as pigs and less than human (allusions to Nazis and Jews/other races being under them are strong here). You'd think it'd be quite straightforward in its delivery but its quite well done and the discussions of war and how involved you are in it remotely or on the battlefield, how much you you care for your men/women etc. is pretty well done. There are 11 episodes so far with a special edition episode that acts as a recap. The second cour/half of the series is on the way in October so if you like what you see you won't have to wait long for more.
    Last edited by Paddy; 01-07-2021, 20:16.

Comment

Amazon Prime Video has landed the international rights to “Evangelion: 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon a Time” – the fourth and final feature in the ‘Rebuild of Evangelion’ movie tetralogy. Amazon will release the film worldwide, excluding Japan, from August 13th through its Prime Video service. This follows on from the film’s release in Japanese cinemas in […]

On Amazon Prime, 13 August, the service will launch the final Evangelion film

Comment

I enjoyed 86 but felt little for the characters dying as we barely got to know them and it just keeps happening. The A.I. death machines weren't unleased by Federal Republic of Giad(which spearhead wander into at the end), the Gaidian Empire did that, it's just another country like Republic of San Magnolia attacked by them. Felt annoyed at the plothole the anime only has of

Lena not passing on to High Command that the fight won't be over in 2 years due to the brain harvesting, even if the source is from 'hearing the voices of the dead'.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          https://www.darkhorizons.com/amazon-...angelion-film/
          On Amazon Prime, 13 August, the service will launch the final Evangelion film
          Good know i don't need to source a download from somewhere, still 2nd and 3rd film in wrap unwatched... never got around to rewatching them after first experiencing them as rip with fansubs.

Comment

I hope that doesn't mean no BD or UHD release for the last Evangelion movie. I've really enjoyed the series so far but it's still not enough to get me to sign up to that particular streaming service.

Comment

Started Hunter X Hunter this week
              Only 4 episodes in but I'm liking it so far

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                I hope that doesn't mean no BD or UHD release for the last Evangelion movie. I've really enjoyed the series so far but it's still not enough to get me to sign up to that particular streaming service.
                I was hoping there'll be the option to rent it on release which I'd be happy to do, then watch it if it gets a limited release at UK cinemas.

I saw the Violet Evergarden film this afternoon. Great animation as expected of KyoAni and it definitely focuses on the drama and dialogue. Don't expect much action but if your want to see a continuation of the series that shows the power letters can have its worth a watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                  Started Hunter X Hunter this week
                  Only 4 episodes in but I'm liking it so far

Neil
                  You're in for a treat and a fair few episodes to watch, i think most to equate it to a subversion of the classic shounen adventure and i really like it's approach to power levels.

I do hope Togashi comes back finishes the current arc, it's been 2 1/2 years.... https://hiatus-hiatus.github.io/

Comment

Finishing of the last of the shows i've not caught up with from spring21.

Fruits Basket s3/finale: very rushed with alot of stuff cut to fit in to 13 episodes, but i still enjoyed the emotional roller-coaster.

SSSS.Dynazenon: another entry into the Gridman franchise of super robot goodness and can be watched on it's own without last years show's knowledge, really liked all the heroes and villains, and all the little subtle visual story telling in the background. I wish i knew more about prior Gridman stuff before SSSS.Gridman, but it seems to be big universe similar to Garo with Anime, mangas and live-action, all telling different stories.

Just Godzilla SP and Megalo Box 2 to finish off.

Comment

I finished watching the last season of Nanatsu no Taizai (subtitled Dragon's Judgement) and though it had some highlights felt too drawn out on the whole (they could have covered the remaining arcs from the manga in around 13-15 episodes but I guess there's more money to be made in having it air for half a year). It wasn't as poor animation-wise as the previous season which although had some good parts was noticeably cheaper in this area than the effort put in for earlier seasons.

I'll probably watch the new film that came out in Japan last weekend when I get a chance and at least the main story had a definitive conclusion albeit with some odd pacing here and there. One to watch if you stayed with it through the earlier seasons and want to see where the story ends.
                      Last edited by Paddy; 05-07-2021, 17:58.

Comment

Probably won't be more Evangelion (to the person whom mentioned this). Anno's been linked to a child sacrifice group that operated in Syrian no-man's land. To be fair I don't thik he knew, and it might be a worthwhile thing if he starts that film again and reflects on the nature of those people he associated with. Understandable that his studio was nearly bankrupt and he was found repeatedly trying to jump off the roof of his offices due to fanbase abuse, but maybe his detractors knew some stuff going on he didn't. Could be considered arrogance that the ultimate Gamesmaster troll was ignorant of other peoples ploys, which is part of the reason we all like Anno. He's an objective outsider like Mewtwo maybe. And hey, he really knows how to commision a good bossanova theme tune.

Comment

25 years after “Neon Genesis Evangelion” premiered on TV and (third) impacted not just anime but TV storytelling as well, the franchise seems to be coming to a close with the last of the “Rebuild of Evangelion” films finally arriving via Amazon Prime worldwide this Friday. The franchise’s creator Hideaki Anno spoke with Collider recently […]

Hideaki Anno has said that Evangelion 3.0: Thrice Upon a Time will end the storyline of the franchise and he has no plans to ever explore events beyond its ending however he would like to make something that delves into the 14 year storyline gap that exists from the start of Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo

Comment

That sounds like a very convenient way of giving yourself a window for future projects related to Evangelion (similar to how George Lucas started with ep.IV so he could create prequels if he ever wanted). I'm going to watch the last film this weekend after watching the previous ones if I'm able. Hopefully it does put a definitive full stop on the rebuild films at the very least.

I managed to watch Josee, the Tiger and the Fish one evening this week on a large theatre screen at my old university (figured it was easier to go there than the next nearest cinema that was showing it). Its an adaptation of a story by Seiko Tanabe from 1985 and sees a marine biology university student meet a young woman who goes by the name of Josee (pulled from one of her favourite novels), a wheelchair-bound 20-something with a talent for children's illustration. The film centres on the developing relationship between the two which was interesting and enjoyable to see right through to the film's end (occasional instances of sappiness aside). Bones were the animation studio that produced the film and the character designs were appealing if a reminder of the everyday. I also appreciated the attention to detail in the backgrounds as it really captured the feeling of being in those locations (it might sound like a daft thing to mention but extra attention was paid in this film imho).

The film's around 90-95 mins if you are curious about giving it a watch. I think its showing this weekend at certain cinemas if anyone wants to catch its limited release (there's a link below if you want to see if its on nearby):

Last edited by Paddy; 14-08-2021, 06:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                              That sounds like a very convenient way of giving yourself a window for future projects related to Evangelion (similar to how George Lucas started with ep.IV so he could create prequels if he ever wanted). I'm going to watch the last film this weekend after watching the previous ones if I'm able. Hopefully it does put a definitive full stop on the rebuild films at the very least.

I managed to watch Josee, the Tiger and the Fish one evening this week...

https://joseefilm.co.uk/seances
                              I've dug out my blurays of Eva, with film 2 and 3 still wrapped up , i had the same plan to watch them before the amazon release but never got around it, I can barely remember what happened in 3 other than it annoyed the heck out of me at the time.

Josee, the Tiger and the Fish been on my radar since the first trailer a while back, very likely have to wait on disc, stream or rip to turn up to watch it.

Summer season for new anime not been great outside the expected sequels for Standing on 1mil Lives, Slime Reincarnation and Maid Dragon (MyHero been absolute trash this season, anime only filler, main story has terrible pacing and animation). Only new shows i'm sticking with are realist hero rebuilt the kingdom (basically MC isekai playing Civ5) and Moonlit Fantasy.

Comment

I had completely forgotten everything from 2.0 and 3.0 so watching the recap at the start of 3.0+1.0 made my head spin. There are many references in the movie that were lost on me, so it will be something to go and watch all four back to back to back to back.
                                No spoilers, but it does wrap up.

I'm not sure how I feel about Shinji ending up as a salaryman, I think that's almost the worst fate for him.

Nanatsu no Taizai/Seven Deadly Sins new season I look forward to getting to, even if I got bored close to the end of the previous one and didn't finish it yet. I did start one feature length one on Netflix but didn't get far into it.

We actually just finished a full run of HUNTERxHUNTER episodes, which finished decently.

Comment

Working...
                                X