No announcement yet.

The True Kings of Current Gen: Your Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hilariously I have played almost all of those games. They are more traditional RPGs and not one of them has compelled me to play them further than maybe 10 hours. Haven't played No no Kuni or Trinity though. I just think it's dumb to write off what you haven't experienced. I could certainly give those above titles another chance but the first impression wasn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
      The list voted by multiple people isn't exactly the same as my personal list! Oh the outrage!

Mass Effect 2 is better than ME1 in every way. Graphics, more streamlined gameplay (that does away with the rubbish like Mako and the cluster f*** inventory), characters, combat, you name it.

Also Fallout 3 is sh*t compared to New Vegas btw. and a rubbish RPG.
      True point on Fallout 3, New Vegas is better once you patch the damn thing.

Graphic's make not a game young padwan, yes they and the combat in ME2 is better. But the rest is ****, the story in ME one is better, the mako section were better than the **** scan game in two for visiting planets. You can't revisit locations or re-talk to characters after leaving a area. The plot has a number of plot holes this time around it's buggy, e.g. Ashley is clearly directly captured by the collectors but some how manges to escape. You spend more time fighting the same ****ing mercs than anything else. Collector appear in three missions it's a joke.

There is very little character development this time around and the level up system is **** having to wait till you complete a mission before you are given the exp. The level design is rubbish just compare the Citadel between both games. On top of that you choices in the first game have very little effect on the second it seems like bioware didn't want to do the extra work.

I'm currently playing all three games back to back with all DLC I'm mid way through the third and I think it worse than the second so far. The third game is so unfinished it's not even funny, untextured Volus in the Citadel, characters not looking at each other in talk scenes or spining theIr heads to the side when talking etc..

The ending the fans complained about is the least of the problems with the game I want the ****ing mission section added back in that are clearly missing from the game.

speedlolita, so in effect you also wrote off a number of games after only 10 hours plays. Case here is we just just disagree and until we both play the respected game to the finish this isn't going to end. Nier didn't grab me as it would seem some of the other great RPGs didn't grab you. I will finish Nier at some point but I didn't enjoy it as much as VC, which also looks better than Nier I might add.

That said to settle this debate for now, all this gen's RPGs suck compared to Shining Force III, there I've said it call me a fan boy etc.. I don't care. :P
      Last edited by S3M; 17-07-2013, 19:39.

Comment

No, I'm not saying that those games aren't good games because I haven't played them to the end. That's the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
          Seriously I'm guessing alot of people here didn't play the first ME and the 2 & 3 games are rubbish when compared to the first as there buggy and very dumbed down.
          Game play wise 1 was stuck between not quite RPG and not quite a shooter, which made it feel wooden and awkward to me. Personally I prefer the route 2&3 took with the gameplay mechanics as it made for a much more fluid gaming experience. I won't get into the story etc as my choice was purely based on gameplay

Comment

Graphic's make not a game young padwan, yes they and the combat in ME2 is better. But the rest is ****, the story in ME one is better, the mako section were better than the **** scan game in two for visiting planets. You can't revisit locations or re-talk to characters after leaving a area. The plot has a number of plot holes this time around it's buggy, e.g. Ashley is clearly directly captured by the collectors but some how manges to escape. You spend more time fighting the same ****ing mercs than anything else. Collector appear in three missions it's a joke.
            First of all, it's spelled "padawan". Second, I really do not agree with you at all. Driving Mako around was just boring filler, it was better that they got rid of it entirely as they couldn't make it work. It would have been cool if the planets would have been different, but most of the time they were just empty places with almost nothing of interest to see or do. The script and dialogue were better written in ME2 and the characters were much more interesting than Kaiden or Ashley in ME1.

There is very little character development this time around and the level up system is **** having to wait till you complete a mission before you are given the exp. The level design is rubbish just compare the Citadel between both games. On top of that you choices in the first game have very little effect on the second it seems like bioware didn't want to do the extra work.
            Character development was rubbish in ME1, much of the skills were useless as was the inventory system where you would constantly get loads of stuff and almost all of it was rubbish which made getting loot boring and meaningless. The streamlining in ME2 was a lot better so the flow of the game didn't break constantly, there was less loot and less levelling, but it mattered more.

And why would you compare the Citadel when Omega was the main hub world in ME2? Besides, Omega was way more interesting and cooler place than Citadel anyway.

Comment

Mass Effect 1 was pretty flawed. It obviously had the best RPG elements, but the actual gameplay, all the crap shooting and the boring driving was... well it was crap.

Mass effect 2 had a lot better shooting mechanics, and they got rid of the boring driving, but they removed a lot of the RPG elements, or at least streamlined a lot of the systems anyway.

Mass Effect 3 was basically a shooter.

I guess it depends on what you wanted, and what you can ignore when you play a game as to which one you think was the best.

Id say 2 was probably the most balanced and there for got it most right, at least it actually played well, even if it wasn't as deep as the first game.
              Last edited by rmoxon; 17-07-2013, 23:10.

Comment

I would agree with Mario Galaxy. Other highlights are Red Dead, GTA4, Uncharted 2, Last of Us, Heavy Rain which was quite revolutionary at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                  A decade?

Maybe not.
                  Easily a decade. Most of the people that are half-decent at SF4 have been playing it almost exclusively since 2008, that's five years already. Bayonetta, after several hundred hours people are still discovering new tech. Also, how long to 1CC S&P2?

Comment

People still play Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

Capcom crafts games that are almost timeless. I don't ever seeing myself getting bored of Third Strike either!

SF4 has become a really great game IMO.

Comment

That said to settle this debate for now, all this gen's RPGs suck compared to Shining Force III, there I've said it call me a fan boy etc.. I don't care. :P
                      If only they had released english language versions of parts 2 & 3 as i also loved 3 and would love to one day finish the story. I think Shining Force II was better than 3 part 1 though...

Comment

I believe there are mostly-complete fan patches for Shining Force III Parts 2 and 3 being created by people at Shining Force Central. I think most-complete versions have been released (with maybe unimportant NPCs not translated yet).

Comment

Had a look and popula/hits series either starting or truly defining themselves this gen have been:

-Super Meat Boy
                          -Fez
                          -Minecraft
                          -Flower
                          -Journey
                          -Call of Duty
                          -Assassin's Creed
                          -Darksiders
                          -Mass Effect
                          -Dead Space
                          -Bioshock
                          -Super Mario Galaxy
                          -Portal
                          -Gears of War
                          -Batman: Arkham
                          -Read Dead Redemption
                          -Mirrors Edge
                          -Infamous
                          -Uncharted
                          -The Last of Us
                          -Heavy Rain
                          -Littlebigplanet
                          -Limbo
                          -Stacking
                          -FEAR
                          -Condemned
                          -Left 4 Dead
                          -Motorstorm
                          -Forza Horizon
                          -Borderlands
                          -Tomb Raider
                          -LA Noire
                          -Demon's Souls
                          -The Walking Dead: Season One

Not bad for a generation that gets a lot of moaning leading into a new generation that's also getting a lot of moaning without even starting yet.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                            The choices have been tallied and below is the list of the ten greatest games of this generation (so far) as voted by you all. Where multiple games had the same count the deal breaker was which game reached the count first. Without further ado your current gen top 10 is...

01 - Super Mario Galaxy
                            02 - Uncharted 2: Amongst Thieves
                            03 - Bayonetta
                            04 - Vanquish
                            05 - Mass Effect 2
                            06 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
                            07 - The Last of Us
                            08 - No More Heroes
                            09 - Neir
                            10 - Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
                            Whoever voted for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots needs a right good hiding.

Comment

What is that list based off CTN? Forum voting or something like Metacritic?

Either way, you can clearly see it's been a hell of a generation.

Comment

I just browsed several sites with top game lists and pulled them out, there's probably more too. Racers are fairly absent and bar the frequency of two series there's no deluge of military based FPS titles either despite the common complaints. Plenty to like and plenty to suggest a good gen ahead

Comment

Working...
                                X