No announcement yet.

All EBAY/PayPal related posts here please too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fingerprint sensor or one time password for me. Super convenient compared to how it used to be.

Comment

Wait, you guys use your phone?

No thanks. Half the time I can't find my phone and have to call myself via the landline and follow the ring. Also there's the risk it gets stolen. As you can tell, I hate logging in to online banking from a desktop, so you can be sure I hate passwords and fidgets etc. every time I want to check a text message. I used to have a password on my phone, but it took several seconds every time I wanted to look at the screen, which might have been multiple times an hour.

So now I treat my smartphone like a burner phone. No logins. No credentials. Nothing sensitive. Apart from my Whatsapp contacts. So if it gets stolen no fuss.

Put my bank details in? Are you mad? The phone will get nicked and there goes my entire life savings.

Comment

My login is just a passcode for the bank

But I do agree that I worry about losing my phone & having someone run rampant with my account but when I have no overdraft & no money anyway I'll be fine

Also I've discovered I have a **** load of stuff I want rid of but I'm not letting eBay have access to my bank account, the way they side with buyers all the time I'd be terrified they just refund everything if there's a dispute & I don't trust eBay buyers these days

Wish there was an alternative

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
          So I thought I'd put some stuff up for sale, and it seems that it's no longer possible at all to receive payment via PayPal, only direct bank transfer?
          People can still pay you using Paypal, but yep, the money now has to go to a bank account designated by you inside eBay itself. It's so they get a bigger slice of the fee pie now Paypal got spun off into a separate entity again.
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I broke and finally set up a ebay account to sell again and I'm not impressed with how they do payouts now. They tell you you've been paid in dribs and drabs and dont just put all sales from a day in at once, I got a few notifications last week but am yet to see any funds go into my bank account. When i requested a payout from PayPal it was usually paid into my account instantly or in a matter of hours. With this its says 0-4 days before you will see it in your account, so I'm a bit surprised to not see anything paid in yet.

Ive had a few weird sales too, the steel book for bloodstained ritual of the night regularly goes for between £20-30 on its own, i bundled it with a copy of the switch game and put a pretty low start price and got zero bids and zero interest on it on it despite the game and steel book selling well separately. so Ive listed the steel book and game on their own and suddenly i have loads of watchers???
            Last edited by Lebowski; 19-07-2021, 10:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
              Ive had a few weird sales too, the steel book for bloodstained ritual of the night regularly goes for between £20-30 on its own, i bundled it with a copy of the switch game and put a pretty low start price and got zero bids and zero interest on it on it despite the game and steel book selling well separately. so Ive listed the steel book and game on their own and suddenly i have loads of watchers???
              I would guess most likely a "category" issue. This irritates the hell out of me!

So eBay likes to automatically put stuff into categories, and when you search it likes to automatically select a category for you, and then you need to manually change it to a new category or select "All Categories".

I'm dealing with this problem right now. Selling a 2000 AD comic collection, great price, zero views. And I think: that's weird? So I do a search for 2000 AD and my auction does not come up. The auto-category says "Comics and Graphic Novels", which is what I put them under.

Bit weird, right?

So I open the first auctions in the results list - it turns out every single damned auction was listed under:
              Books, Comics & Magazines > Comic Books & Memorabilia > Franco-Belgian & European Comics > Comics & Graphic Novels

And what had I been listed under?
              Books, Comics & Magazines > Comic Books & Memorabilia > Comics > Comics & Graphic Novels

But every single person searching eBay, who put "2000 AD" into the search engine, will have been railroaded into the Franco-Belgium European sub-category. I guess because 2000 AD is European, and the yanks are too dumb not to be confused unless we sub-categorise it? Now, anyone putting up an auction who let it auto-select would end up in Franco-Belgium, but I wanted to be precise so manually chose my category. Big mistake.

Sadly the majority of eBay users are too incompetent to do a thorough search and check multiple categories or change the selection to "All Categories" when searching. Meaning they would never have seen my listing unless I changed it.

I think the scumlords at eBay just want us to pay for multiple categories - which I will never do! An extra category is like a £5 fee!

You can also use to game the system.

Sometimes when I sell game related stuff (comics based on games for example), I will put them in the videogames category, that way anyone searching for say, Donkey Kong Country on cartridge, might also see the comic I'm selling and be like: Ooh, I'd like that too.

Also, when you're looking for bargains, be sure to check "ALL CATEGORIES" - I have on many occasion found an absolute screaming bargain (think £10 starting price with zero bids versus £50+ with a dozen bids) because the seller had accidentally put his item in the wrong category.

So my guess, Lebowski, is somehow you ended up in different categories? Maybe? Somehow?

Either way, thanks for asking that - it encouraged me to look into my own listing, and I'm super annoyed with ebay now for railroading me like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                I broke and finally set up a ebay account to sell again and I'm not impressed with how they do payouts now. They tell you you've been paid in dribs and drabs and dont just put all sales from a day in at once, I got a few notifications last week but am yet to see any funds go into my bank account. When i requested a payout from PayPal it was usually paid into my account instantly or in a matter of hours. With this its says 0-4 days before you will see it in your account, so I'm a bit surprised to not see anything paid in yet.
                I've had a few sales since being migrated to the new experience. My payouts are set to daily. It's generally gone paid, then it's cleared eBay the next day, the payout is executed the day after that, and money in the bank within 24 hours of that. So not had any problems yet, just not seeing the actual money for a couple of days.

Comment

Does anyone have a 3 to 5 line summary of the payment changes being enforced in October?

I've attempted to read the TOS, but they appear to be a thousand pages of gibberish.

Comment

When you say payment changes, you mean in addition to the ones already rolling out?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      When you say payment changes, you mean in addition to the ones already rolling out?
                      I don't know.

I got two emails (verified) a couple days ago saying that from October they are changing various things, due to the SARL no longer existing, and something, something, something.

Comment

Oh that one. Yeah it just ties in with the fact Paypal are now nothing to do with eBay for payments either, and Brexit, so eBay have set up their own office now in the UK (Sarl is based in Luxenbourg).

Comment

Bought a Fission fishing rod for Dreamcast off eBay, and the idiot seller had superglued the orange handles so they don't turn. FFS!

You can actually see the superglue on close inspection. Never mentioned in the auction. Now I'm forced to demand a refund.

What are the chances I'll get a refund and the return postage covered?

Comment

Normally you'll be supplied a pre paid label and a full refund.

Comment

Thanks - I've only done a return once before, and I had to pay the postage because the seller was new and totally inept. He didn't even know how to get the money out of PayPal - I literally had to coach him on how to do eBay, while at the same time returning defective goods. It was... weird.

As for the fishing rod, hopefully what you say happens. Except it's 24 hours later, no reply, no label, and eBay's network is down. You can access the site but cannot send any other members messages. I checked Twitter and others are having the same problem.

I'm going to try to shut all this out and deal with it Monday. <facepalm>

Comment

I sold a high ticket item on ebay. £400. The buyer asked for a week, for them to get paid I said, I said OK and waited. They paid. I filmed myself packing it and then I posted it insured. It arrived the next day.

It's now been 6 days since delivery and no positive feedback.

I message twice asking if everything was OK.

Nothing.

I now have this panicked feeling in my gut they're going to request a refund. They have 30 days.

FFS. I had enough anxiety selling this thing. Why won't they just reply or leave positive feedback?

It's the waiting that's killing me.

Comment

Working...
                                X