No announcement yet.

All EBAY/PayPal related posts here please too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! I have quite a lot of collectable stuff, I buy to collect to keep or sell on, I've just never really sold that many!

Will look at more gaming stuff to sell next along with some magazines then I think I will try and start selling my Lego Minifigure collection. I photographed them years ago to sell before a house move but again it never happened.

Comment

^^^ you don’t owe these people anything! Buyers will dick you about knowing that their rating will not change so think they have the upper hand. They do not.

I would relist it with a starting price of the minimum you’d be happy with next time. Use the number of watchers to gauge whether you got it right.

Comment

Yes, in the nicest possible way, sod 'em. Try to get the highest price you can for your item. If you are happy to wait and don't need it gone/need the money urgently, thinking about putting it on BIN for an appropriate price.

Comment

Unfortunately I feel like bidders holding back is a little bit more common, although that might just be my experience.

Last minute sniping is absolutely the right thing to do from a buyers POV, although the sellers equally have the right to do what they want to and relist or cancel the auction. Indeed I remember one time seeing a buyer stating they would pull the auction with no bids in the description, although it did come across as passive aggressive.

I've listed a few things at the moment and buyers not actively bidding is my experience. I agree with the above and I tend to list the starting price as my minimum or ever so slightly below if I think that will encourage more bids. Unless it something super cheap and I'm just clearing stuff out.

Sometimes snipping wars can work for you. I remember one time selling a Ducky Shine 3 mechanical keyboard that ended up selling for twice what I'd paid for it, after two bidders went crazy in the last few mins. Turns out the guy that won wanted to solder in some rare mechanical switches I'd never heard of. But I don't think you can rely on that.

EDIT - the other thing that seems to be common, is the 'end the auction early/offers' even on auction only items. I do normally state 'no offers' but even then you have a few dealers/resellers who still think I'm dumb enough to be low balled.
          Last edited by Digfox; 02-12-2020, 19:44.

Comment

Given eBay UK offers most sellers an abundance of no fee listings (just pay final value fees) for a lot of the time, it doesn't matter what price you start at now generally, it won't cost anything to list. So I normally start auctions like that at the lowest price I'm happy to accept for the item.

Also pay attention on Fridays as that's when eBay sometimes activates £1 max final fee listings, you have to click on the offer to accept it, but then you only pay £1 final fee regardless of what the item sells for (saves you a ton on valuable items). Then you are only losing money to Paypal fees.

On that note, always remember the Paypal fees also come out of your listed postage costs, not just the price for the item. So you always have to enter a higher value to cover what the actual cost for sending it out will be.

Sellers in the US are being migrated away from Paypal to Adyen (given eBay sold the former some years back), which isn't going down well so I hear, delayed payments up to a few days before you get your cash. Will be interesting to see if/when it gets rolled out elsewhere.

Oh and yes, 99% of the time I only snipe and never place an early bid. As said, it just encourages stupid early bidding wars.
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Just got an interesting message on eBay via one of my listings:

Sorry to bother your , I am clearing out my late father house and I have found some items that may be of help to you, the local charity shop is closed due to restrictions otherwise I would have gave to them and I would rather help out someone rather than give to a large company for next to nothing anyway. I have found 1000 blue ray movies, all uk region or region free, at least half are steel books. 60 boxed Sega mega drive games and a boxed Sega mega drive console and 2 controller pads. These can be picked up from Aberdeen for free of you can do so , if not they can be posted at a cost of 30 for blue rays and 35 for the Sega items , , best wishes

£30 for 1000 blu-rays! The user has 64 feedback and joined in October. Don't think I'll take them up on that offer somehow.

Comment

Tell them no bother, you'll send a mate round, we have Aberdonian members.

Comment

I'm half tempted lmao.

Comment

Is it possible to cancel a purchase if the buyer has no feedback and joined a couple months ago? I realise everyone starts somewhere but I'm getting a bad vibe.

Comment

I need help.

I bought a SNES for £75 delivered, with Super Metroid, Starwing, and two controllers. Well both controllers are broken, SM is a bootleg from China, and the AC adapter is the wrong ampage. Plus it stinks of cigarettes. It's not at all as described - the bootleg SM pisses me off the most.

Well I try to return the item. But eBay says I can't return the item because payment has not been received.

I paid for it, but they're holding it since the guy is new to eBay.

So what do I do here?

I have the SNES, eBay has my money, he does not have the money, but I can't return it! Catch 22!

EDIT

I actually decided to try ebay's call back service. To my huge surprise a friendly guy called back in about 30 seconds and explained:

The seller has not verified his PayPal account. So they can't give him the money, hence why it looks like I never paid.

Official advice was to go to PayPal and "cancel" the transaction, thus returning the money. And now t return the item to him.

He's supposed to pay for return postage, but I'll do it because the guy is a dunce, based on all our emails. And I feel sorry for him. £6 isn't the end of the world.

However... If I can't click the actual button to return it, how do we cancel the overall transaction so he doesn't pay the fees?
                      Last edited by Sketcz; 05-01-2021, 09:51.

Comment

Seems it wasn't common knowledge based on folks I've spoken to, but as well as being able to earn Nectar points on eBay, you can also spend them! Great! I just converted some into a £50 voucher though, and thought I'd just share the warning that you can only use this against purchases within the UK / in GBP. This isn't just some "you get a crap conversion" on it kind of thing, you just can't use it at all - the option is not there. I thought I'd been doing something wrong, but after having spoken to eBay on the phone this is what they're now telling me - despite their own guide making absolutely no reference to this in their list of restrictions.

Comment

I don't know if that had changed at any time but I was using Nectar points as part payment on purchases years ago.

Amazon too used to do it but now do not.

One thing to mention about Nectar is that if you do not add any points for a certain period of time, I think a year but it may be less, your account is actually closed and all points remaining are rendered void. You may be able to persuade them to transfer them to the new account if you act quickly.

However my experience, which I've now had twice as I didn't buy anything from Ebay or other Nectar scheme retailers on two separate occasions in the last 16 years for over 12 months is that you lose the points and have to open a new Nectar account.

Incidentally even then I still had the same Nectar email notifications and spam despite not having an active account.
                          Last edited by fallenangle; 15-01-2021, 16:02. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks Fuse, didn't know this. Got a £25 voucher!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              Seems it wasn't common knowledge based on folks I've spoken to, but as well as being able to earn Nectar points on eBay, you can also spend them! Great! I just converted some into a £50 voucher though, and thought I'd just share the warning that you can only use this against purchases within the UK / in GBP. This isn't just some "you get a crap conversion" on it kind of thing, you just can't use it at all - the option is not there. I thought I'd been doing something wrong, but after having spoken to eBay on the phone this is what they're now telling me - despite their own guide making absolutely no reference to this in their list of restrictions.
                              Has a new rule come in recently? About 2 weeks ago i used a £10 nectar voucher to pay for a DS game in japan and it worked fine. I have discovered in the past that when you convert the vouchers they don't always appear instantly. While they do appear in your voucher wallet as been there if you try and spend it, the option isn't there when you pay even if it's £10 or over and they are accepting paypal as the payment, however a few days later the voucher finally seems to clear and i can then use it on any qualifying auction.

It's happened the last handful of times i converted into vouchers although one time the site went weird and it said please wait your voucher is been created and it stayed like that for nearly a week. It had taken my points but not made the voucher and then on day five it suddenly went through.

Comment

Has anyone noticed that the postage prices for US items have gone berserk? I keep seeing things like shirts or decals, i.e. quite lightweight items, with postage costs of $40, well more than the value of the item. Is this a Brexit thing or did I miss something?

Last edited by Asura; 20-01-2021, 08:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X